Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2020, 07:27 PM   #1

Super C vs Class A turning radius

I keep reading about owning a super c that the driver needs to plan carefully because of the turning radius. Has anyone actually documented the real difference? I would love to know if it really is too bad to get into my drive.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2020, 08:45 PM   #2

Post your current turning radius and a diagram of your driveway on graph paper. There are a lot of retired engineers in here who would love a project.

Super C's need a lot of backing and filling to make a turn.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:41 PM   #3

I think I have read that the latest Super C chassis have a better turning radius than the ones that were out just a couple of years ago.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:05 PM   #4

We had a 42' Showhauler (Super C) on a Volvo chassis, then went to a 42' Entegra Aspire (Class A diesel pusher), and now have a 45' Renegade (Super C) on a Cascadia chassis. Without having any data to back it up, I'll agree with what you're hearing anecdotally, that the turning radius of the Super C's (even our 2020 Renegade) is materially greater than the Class A. And you don't have a tag axle on the Super C, so all eight wheels in back are down all the time. I felt like I could drive that Entegra practically anywhere and not get into trouble, but for both Super C's I really had to get used to how wide they turned and plan accordingly.

That being said, in my opinion turning radius is a tradeoff for many positive attributes of Super C's, which is why we are back in one now.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 01-24-2020, 08:51 PM   #5

You might want to check out this link: https://truckscience.com/turning-circle-calculator/ Me thinks that as long as the turning angle of the front wheels and the wheel base are the same the turning radius should be the same regardless of the coach configuration. However, the tail swing and front overhang will be different.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:23 PM   #6

We have rented Class A's and have owned (2) super C's. The class A's didn't have any issues getting into most RV parks. Our first super C based on the M2 chassis was ok also. Our current super C based on the class 8 truck needs considerably more space. The turning radius is really the only thing we don't care for, overall performance and ride is excellent.
bhammond1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:47 AM   #7

Why hasn’t anyone modified the rear bags to dump as in a pusher? Would that help?
Old 01-25-2020, 08:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clnhse View Post
Why hasn’t anyone modified the rear bags to dump as in a pusher? Would that help?
A few Renegade owners have added a release valve for the rear air bags to make leveling easier. I don't think it would help an M2 turn any sharper.

I think most Super C's have an I beam frond suspension with long tie rods and limited space for the front wheels to move from side to side. Why class A's with the same suspension system can have a sharper turning radius is a function of the chassis's design for a pusher motor home I would think.

My 2004 Wanderlodge Class A had an independent rack and pinon suspension where the front wheels would almost turn 90 degrees giving a great turning radius. It has taken a bit of getting used to the larger radius of my Renegade.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:54 AM   #9

Our 2016 M2 has a wheel base of 308" and overall length of 40'1". The wheel cut is 55 degrees. It turns as well as our previous 40' Fleetwood with a 55 degree wheel cut. I have U-turned from a left turning lane onto a double lane without a problem. Tandem drive coaches won't be able to do that in many cases. If you have 50' from curb-to-curb you will be in good to complete the turn. Remember two it also depends on the length of your tow bar for the toad has it also impacts your ability to turn sharply.
tgdameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 04:16 PM   #10

My Renegade does not turn as tight as my class A did, both have 55* wheel cut the difference is wheel base. My class A had about a 3 foot shorter wheel base, therefor made a lot smaller circle. My place in FL is on a cul-de-sac and class A would make the circle with room to spare, Renegade just makes it without any extra room. Also I could not hold full lock on the wheel when towing Jeep with Class A or I would drag Jeep sideways. With the Renegade I have no such issue, just takes a little more planning in tight places.

Tom C
twc88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a