Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2018, 03:22 PM   #1

Tire Pressure Verona LE

I had a long talk today with a Freightliner chassis tech about proper tire pressure in an RV, The first thing he asked me was have I weighed the coach?

I said no, I just put what was written on the door for cold tires...120 and 110.

He said to weight the coach and go to the Michelin website to see a table for weights and recommended tire pressures...not just for Michelin he said...other brands there too. I have Bridgestone.

The tire pressures on the door assume a fully loaded Freightliner such a a heavy dump truck and they might not be the best for an RV.

Has anyone weighed their Verona LE loaded for travel?
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2018, 07:11 PM   #2

I weighed my Valencia. Tires were at 117 pounds from factory. After weighing and looking at tire chart for Bridgestone, I'm running 100 pounds front and 95 rear with a good safety factor from fully loaded weight. Ride is much better.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:27 PM   #3

Ha.. I was just having this conversation in my head about what is the approximate tire pressure. My Verona is running 110 all around as of Saturday.
cment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:49 AM   #4

I have had my 36 Verona on the scales by axle only. According to the Michelin tables I should run 110 in the front and 95 in the rear. Seems to handle well at those pressures. Wish I could get four corner weights but have not been able to find such scales. What is on the door is way to high
ragoodspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:49 PM   #5

I know every model coach is different and every one is loaded differently. But figured I would post some real numbers. Verona LRB 6300lb LF w/ me in seat, 6070 LF with no passenger, 9610 LR, 8970 RR. This is full of fuel , no water, no food in fridge. Will weigh again after I un-winterize, my fridge is on left toward front so that will say 75% front left weight. Water tank sits under bed mostly on left rear, my guess would be 60% -70% left rear weight. Using tire pressure chart and my known weights and estimating water at 70% left side I'm going to say 110psi all around should give me a little cushion. This rig is heavier than my 40 class A DP, it was only 29000 all wet and ready to go, this rig I am at 31000 loaded but not ready to go (no water or food), figure another 1000lbs.
twc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:39 AM   #6

I have not weighed our 2019 LE LRB coach but have been experimenting with tire pressures.

Currently I have exactly 110# under the front axle and 105# in the rear. I was careful to be precise using a professional meter and both onboard air and portable air pressure capable of 150#. The onboard air fills tires extremely slow.

I plan to reduce the rear next to 100# for better ride and leave room for tire air expansion. I find each tire seems to (on average) increase by 15# during travel if the Bendix gauge is accurate.

So, that's 125# front and 120# rear. That seems high underway but still watching, experimenting and learning.
Former Coach - Newmar London Aire
JCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:01 AM   #7

You don't set tire pressure to account for expansion.

The tire makers already took that into account.

Guessing, or lowering tire pressures, until it feels good can be risky.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:22 AM   #8

As already stated all tire pressures are to be set cold and by manufactures ratings which state cold pressure. 100 psi is cutting it way to close IMHO and only with no water onboard as your water tank should be same place as mine provided they didn't make any major changes. Again just my opinion.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:37 AM   #9

Always set your tires to cold PSI. Never take into account expansion, the tire manufacturer has already done that. If you use expansion for PSI you could end up severely underinflated, especially if you encounter cold temperatures overnight.
tdeperte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeperte View Post
Always set your tires to cold PSI. Never take into account expansion, the tire manufacturer has already done that. If you use expansion for PSI you could end up severely underinflated, especially if you encounter cold temperatures overnight.
Agree. I set my tire pressures at exactly 65 degrees as tested by a laser gun. I believe the "as delivered" tire pressures are high to start with before weighing. I am making an educated conservative estimate until I can weigh in and we settle on what is going onboard.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:59 AM   #11

JCat

You are correct in getting it weighed, our coaches should be faily close in weight distribution and total weight. Only difference would be the way they are loaded and installed options ( washer dryer, tile floor in bedroom, would be the big ones). Other than that, the weights I posted would be a good starting point, just remember those weights I gave are without food and water. And where our water tank sits that weight is going to be mostly RR weight.

TomC
Old 02-09-2019, 03:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twc88 View Post
JCat

You are correct in getting it weighed, our coaches should be faily close in weight distribution and total weight. Only difference would be the way they are loaded and installed options ( washer dryer, tile floor in bedroom, would be the big ones). Other than that, the weights I posted would be a good starting point, just remember those weights I gave are without food and water. And where our water tank sits that weight is going to be mostly RR weight.

TomC

TomC - Thanks. I plan to refine my pressures with you weights and my estimates of possible variances until I can get weighed. But right now it's going to be a while before I can get my tires to 65 degrees for test pressures - as we sit in the Florida Keys until early March.

BTW - where did you have your coach weighed - Loves / Pilot / Flying J ...
Old 02-09-2019, 06:54 PM   #13

I own a set portable truck scales, did it in my garage
Old 06-26-2019, 09:37 AM   #14

Just wanted to add my results to this thread. Weighed my all electric 2020 Verona 36 VSB on Certified Scales 6-26-2019. Full fuel and water we also have the stacked washer / dryer. Mostly packed for travel - I expect another 1000 pounds of stuff and people for the summer travels beginning next week.
front steer axle = 10,920 and the rear axle 16,720 (gross 27,640)
I plan to set steer tire pressure @110# and rears @ 105#.
Crew cab 4wd 1500 Silverado
landtrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure