Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #1

To high of mileage for diesel truck?

Hi everyone, I think irv2.com is the best web site going for RVers. Everyone seems to get the answers they need. I've learned alot from ya'll.
My question is, what would be to high of mileage for a Diesel Engine in a truck? I have a 03 Chevy Dually 3500 duramax 6.0 with 260.000 miles on it. I pull a 35ft. 5th Wheel. The truck seems to pull my 5er pretty good. The high miles dose bother me a little bit. This is my first Diesel. Any input would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2012, 04:25 PM   #2

As with anything, maintenance is everything, as well as the climate it lives in (salt kills...as does extreme heat), but to be honest, when you start creeping up to 300k miles, anything can happen. The transmission/rear diff, turbo/injectors are the main things that may or may not choose to give you grief....but you might hit 500k without much more than an oil change. The best thing to do is flush your fluids and change your filters (including trans), and keep your eye on it for things like excessive smoking, funny noises from the turbo, erratic shifting etc.

older trucks break sometimes, plan and simple. It can be an 06 with 100k, or a 96 with 600k. They often break when you don't want them to, but there are steps you can take to minimize your risk and to prolong the truck's life.

Should you rush out and buy a another truck?? well, unless you plan on putting lots of miles on yours, no. A 4 yr old truck with 100k miles or less can still give you the same grief, so stick with the truck you know, and keep some of your cash.

Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Wise comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mopar View Post
As with anything, maintenance is everything, as well as the climate it lives in (salt kills...as does extreme heat), but to be honest, when you start creeping up to 300k miles, anything can happen. The transmission/rear diff, turbo/injectors are the main things that may or may not choose to give you grief....but you might hit 500k without much more than an oil change. The best thing to do is flush your fluids and change your filters (including trans), and keep your eye on it for things like excessive smoking, funny noises from the turbo, erratic shifting etc.

older trucks break sometimes, plan and simple. It can be an 06 with 100k, or a 96 with 600k. They often break when you don't want them to, but there are steps you can take to minimize your risk and to prolong the truck's life.

Should you rush out and buy a another truck?? well, unless you plan on putting lots of miles on yours, no. A 4 yr old truck with 100k miles or less can still give you the same grief, so stick with the truck you know, and keep some of your cash.
Most people change the oil some time in the motor but forget about or don't know about getting the other fluids changed including the cooling system, and especially the transmission and differential it just doesn't occur to them but they need care also and it is better to do it on a regular basis. The other thing especially with diesels is the fuel filters. Commercial trucks get 500k and a lot more out them because they are well taken care of and the company doesn't give up on a truck just because it blows a gasket or water pump ... it's mechanical it's going to break just keep up the maintenance and drive sensibly JM2CW YMMV
My gasser is going in to get the cooling system flushed and radiator cleaned out then the tranny fluid changed the diff. checked just so you know I do these things not just yak about it.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #4

Thanks for the info Jon and Kayjulia. That was well put. I do plane on changing fluids soon. The man I bought the truck from is a friend and always kept good care of it. I to will do the same.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #5

Just a minor thing. This is the "Truck Conversion" section. I think your topic is actually more fitting for the "Towing and Tow Vehicles" section of the forum. "Truck Conversions" are campers built on class 8 (semi-truck) chassis. Now, if you had a truck conversion nobody would think twice if it had 500,000-1 million miles on it. Because these deisels are made to go a million miles easily. As well as the transmissions, rear diffs, etc....

Tags
diesel