RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:28 PM   #1

Toad set up?

Past unit: Monaco Monarch 38 gasser

I used a Blue Ox with Patriot brake system on a 2013 Jeep JK Rubicon

Current: 2017 Verona

Sold the Jeep. Have a 2019 Ram 1500 that can be towed 4-down. Looking to take it along on our trips.

Wants:
1. I want a front plate that is hidden and does not deter from the trucks front end lines. (Wishful thinking on my part).
2. I am not opposed to a permanent brake system installed on the ram as long as it does not interfere with passenger space.

Cost is not relevant. I want to keep the truck and Verona safe.

Question: do I even need a TOAD braking system at the Verona's GCWR rating? (I am pretty sure that answer is yes.)

What are you guys using and do you have any recommendations?

I have searched but a lot of stuff is coming up for Class A gassers and DP that don't have the characteristics of a truck chassis.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

cment is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2018, 11:01 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
So far I don't think anyone has a 2019 base plate for the Ram 1500. Up to 2018, but I don't know if your model has mods that make it different than last year's model. The 2018 base plates use removable pins that come out the oval openings in the bumper, so they are very discrete. There are many braking systems that can be built in and out of sight, do a little research.

Many states require brakes and a breakaway emergency braking system, I'd make sure to install them. Inertia is in all states. In a flat parking lot push your Ram and then when it's moving, run to the front and try to stop it. That's what will be pushing your RV when you go to stop.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
So far I don't think anyone has a 2019 base plate for the Ram 1500. Up to 2018, but I don't know if your model has mods that make it different than last year's model. The 2018 base plates use removable pins that come out the oval openings in the bumper, so they are very discrete. There are many braking systems that can be built in and out of sight, do a little research.

Many states require brakes and a breakaway emergency braking system, I'd make sure to install them. Inertia is in all states. In a flat parking lot push your Ram and then when it's moving, run to the front and try to stop it. That's what will be pushing your RV when you go to stop.
Thanks for the reply. All you said is true. I never had a problem with the Blue Ox/Patriot set up with the exception of having to lug the Patriot in and out. Was thinking a more permanent braking system would be better/easier.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:12 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
I tow a 1/2 ton F150. Have a Blue Ox base plate, SMI Airforce 1 brake system, with a home built wiring kit using Hopkins Diode Isolating kit. I have LED tail lights and choose to tie into the actual light rather than add a second bulb into my clean LED lights...... As well I did not care for the light weight wire sold with the complete light kits, so bought a reece 6 prong female plug and the diode kit with a heavy duty PVC 4 wire.

The blue ox base plate simply replaces the tow hooks on my 2016 F150, a nice clean look. When I remove the inserts and add the black insert plugs it is very discrete.

Years ago I collected this graphic showing the requirements for toad supplemental breaking systems. Many states have requirements for toads at 3000#, some lower and one or two higher, AND a requirement for a breakaway systems as well. My F150 is near 5000#, your Ram is probably quite a bit heavier. I looked at the Ram with Ecodiesel and it was close to 6700#.

Some will argue Nah, you don't need no stupid brake system, my coach is well built to handle the weight, etc, etc. Personally, I want to protect others if my toad breaks away from my coach during an event or failure of my tow bar. Rare, but tow bars are wear items and do fail..... Pick a tow bar with a good margin of safety with your heavy toad.

Hope this helps,
Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toad Brake Breakaway State Requirements.png
Views:	42
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	208189  
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:21 AM   #5

Another for the SMI braking systems. Our coach is regular class c so we had to do the stay and play. Nice permanent install - flip switch on and go.

Another thing my installer did was to run the light for Toad brakes engaged to the dash of the coach. Much easier to see than having to look out the rear view camera to see the light on the Toad dash.
Gumpster808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:40 AM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

One more vote for the SMI Air Force One.... Clean install and easy to connect and get on the road.
I pull an '18 Jeep Renegade, but am getting ready to have the F150 set up to pull as we want to carry our golf cart from time to time and we've decided against taking a trailer.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelsbeach View Post
One more vote for the SMI Air Force One.... Clean install and easy to connect and get on the road.
I pull an '18 Jeep Renegade, but am getting ready to have the F150 set up to pull as we want to carry our golf cart from time to time and we've decided against taking a trailer.
The only beef i had with my Blue Ox baseplate on the Wrangler is that the paint was basically gone after two years and it was covered in rust. I did not worry about because it was thick plate steal and extruded steel pipe construction. While the Jeep never touched salt water, I live in Pa and the winter salt can be harsh depending on the year. I would buy it again.

The poster above is correct, it will probably be 1.5 years before someone makes a baseplate for a 2019 ram.

Starting to regret selling the Rubicon. The DW and I just couldn't stand looking at it not being used. Might have to take the chance of a knife in my back and just go buy a used Jeep. ..maybe the promise of a really nice vacation to somewhere warm next February will spare me.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:20 PM   #8

Well, the good people above are looking kindly on me.

Blue Ox has a baseplate for a 2019 Ram. I am in luck!

Looks like I am shooting for the Air Force and the Blue Ox (I might have this stripped down and powdered coated or a light Line-x treatment.)
Old 06-23-2018, 09:49 PM   #9

Look into the NSA Ready Brute Elite and Hercules. They have 2 tow bars now with the brake system built into them. One is rated for 8000 Lbs and one is rated for 12000 Lbs. They both have a lifetime guarantee. I have the 8000 Lb unit which is aluminum and the 12000 Lb unit is steel. Hooking up the brakes when towing is as simple as hooking up a cable. Mine works great for me.
It will mate up to a blue ox baseplate (that is what I have) with adapters that NSA sells. They also have a break away kit they sell. It all hooks up very easily and quickly.
Dave
Woodman018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:50 AM   #10

Find a Baseplate | Blue Ox | Blue Ox

CMENT, Is this what you're looking for?
SSTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:17 AM   #11

When you start looking at braking systems, be sure to take a long look at the M&G braking system. It is a simple system that links directly with your coach air brake system.

Good luck in your quest.
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:31 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I towards 2017 ram 1500 quad cab with the blue ox system. I use a brake buddy(itís what I had) and an aventa tow bar rated at 10000 lbs. easy quick and a nice tow
boba1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:40 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the SMI Stay-n-Play and if the SMI Air Force 1 is as good, I highly recommend it. Completely hidden out of sight and you just plug and go.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:23 PM   #14

Toad brakes

The appropriate answer is to say that it would be both wise and legal in every state to tow with brakes on the toad. There are some who do not, and Iím not going to suggest that it is safe or prudent. That said, hereís a pic of the set up on the front of my jeep. I hook up with a blue ox Aventa with adapters to the two tabs on the bumper. I drilled the bumper with n additional 5/8Ē grade 8 (top to bottom) through the frame to reinforce the bumper to the frame. I bolted on two more D ring base plates to the frame front crossmember so Iíd have a place to hook my emergency cables.
This pic is at Tiger Run resort. On route, I descended Loveland Pass. I use my engine brake. I had it on the high setting, and did almost no manual braking down the pass. On the way out of Breckenridge, I went south on highway 9 over Hoosier. I used a little bit of the foot brake pedal, but not much. Engine braking power is proportional to your engine power. I donít have a brake system on the toad.
Itís still safest to use a toad brake system, but I think youíre asking if itís possible to flat tow without. Your Dodge is heavier, but I flat towed a Ď02 Chevy avalanche 2500 with the 8.1L engine without brakes. It was pretty heavy, and I was in a coach itís a CAT powered at about 450. It did push me some downhill. I probably wouldnít do it that way now. After flat towing now for bout 125K miles total, and if deciding Iíd tow a pickup, Iíd probably consider brakes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F4DD44F1-D3B6-4494-A219-9FCD45F4EBDF.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	423.0 KB
ID:	213040  

RBowman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad