Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #1

Towing vehicle with Showhauler

Gentlemen - This is probably old hat to you guys, but I need to ask what is the best way to tow a jeep (or something similar), four wheels down, with my Showhauler? I've got a heavy duty trailer hitch like the one below (not my truck but similar), but (I think) what I need is a standard 2-inch receiver and I don't know how to make it work with this set-up.

Any help is greatly appreciated - thanks! Andy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #2

Hey Andy, first off I'm glad you posted that picture of the back of that Showhauler. I had looked pretty strongly at buying that exact rig a few years ago. I even made him an offer but the owner (it was on consignment to busesandmore) wouldn't budge. Good to see they finally sold it. I recently saw it on racingjunk for $20k less than what I had offered him. I guess finally pricing it to sell worked for them.
Anyhow, my rig has a very similar hitch. It only came with one attachment that had a 2 5/16" ball welded on.

I wanted to be able to tow things with a 2" ball, and I also often use a bike rack that goes into a standard 2" square receiver and wanted to be able to use that on my camper. So, I have a neighbor that's a retired iron worker and welder. He made me up this:

He used 1/2" plate steel. Cut it with his oxy/acetylene torch. Welded it up. I painted it. There ya have it. Works great. He wouldn't let me pay him for it but I imagine you should be able to find a welder that could make one up for you for pretty cheap. Just print out this picture maybe and have him take a look.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #3

I forgot to tell you. The 2" square steel tube I bought at the U-Haul store. Then my guy welded that into the 1/2" plate like that.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:50 AM   #4

Bob - thank you very much! For some reason the photo of your welded receiver doesn't show up, although the photo of your original hitch does. Can you please re-post the new hitch photo? Sounds like just what I need!

Thanks again -Andy
Old 05-22-2012, 08:20 AM   #5

That's weird because it shows up on mine. And both pictures were linked from the same album on my facebook page. I don't know. I'll try it again.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreen88 View Post
Gentlemen - This is probably old hat to you guys, but I need to ask what is the best way to tow a jeep (or something similar), four wheels down, with my Showhauler? .......
Any help is greatly appreciated - thanks! Andy
If you are into off roading (not just driving off road) I'd use a trailer.
If not I'd go four down.

I use a trailer for mine.

Year ago I owned and used a tow dolly. A pivot tray dolly is a lot like towing double trailers. (very limited backing)
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:56 AM   #7

Thanks Bob- it shows up now. Probably an issue with my work firewall. That's exactly what I need!

Tags
towing