Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #1

truck Conversion Help

hello everyone,

I have a lot of random questions about T/C garage Coaches... do you think you guys could help me out?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
somebody will i'm sure,just post the questions

Old 05-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #3

How much knowledge of the engine do I need?

if you buy a custom ShowHauler.. can you get it any truck or does it need to be a Freightliner?

are these available with auto transmission?

Can you park these in RV parks?

How is the insurance on these bad boys?

(Forgive me if these questions have been asked or answered before.. )
But from the way things are going it looks like i really need something like this.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #4

I just got a "new" 2012 Showhauler conversion (purchased from Boyd's Conversions) done on a Volvo VNL630 with sleeper and Volvo 465 hp 12 liter diesel engine. The chassis was used and Showhauler added the coach and converted the sleeper to a condo. it is an Eaton Fuller 10 speed "autoshift" meaning you only use the clutch when stopping or starting, and the transmission shifts automatically up and down as you drive. the insurance for me is not bad- about $100 per month through Progressive. We've only stayed in one RV park and it was no problem. We are about 41 feet bumper to bumper. This is our first RV of any type and we absolutely love it. Hope that helps!
Old 05-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #5

Forgot to add another photo

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-14112527.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	429.4 KB
ID:	20828
Old 05-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #6

That is a beaut !! Enjoy many miles ....
Marc
Old 05-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #7

I have a Renegade garage unit. Would be happy to help answer any question you have.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Burton View Post
hello everyone,

I have a lot of random questions about T/C garage Coaches... do you think you guys could help me out?
Jack,

We built a custom garage unit on a KW T2000 450HP 10 speed autoshifter and have been hauling bikes around the country for about 4 years now.

Hawk Engineering in Southern MO built it and he will build on just about anything you bring him within reason. I have seen his work on Volvo, Kenworth, Peterbuilt and Freightliners.

We stay in RV parks all the time with no issues at 43ft long and 13ft tall.

Geico insurance and very affordable

Its still new to us and we love talking about it so feel free to contact me for anything you would like to learn about the build process and the truck.

Rad
Old 05-22-2012, 08:27 AM   #9

Do you need the garage all the time? Otherwise you might want a T/C with just living quarters and then pull an enclosed trailer as needed. That's what I do. These things are such great pullers you won't even know the trailer is there. But a garage is great if you always need that space and don't want to pull a trailer. EdS uses his for dog shows and the garage is where he does the grooming and kenneling so that works great for him. Another good place to do some research on these is a race track. If you're anywhere near one just go there when they're racing and walk around and chat with the guys about their trucks. I've had mine for 3 years and don't foresee ever going back to a "regular" rv. My insurance is the same as it was for my Allegro gas class A too. State Farm is my company.