Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2014, 07:33 PM   #1

Turning radius/steering wheel cut

Hi all!new member here and previous owner of an 07 haulmark 45 footer on a tandem axle freightliner columbia.
We are now back looking for a new rig,the only thing I wasn't happy with my old rig was it's turning radius or steering wheel cut,not sure of the proper wording for it, but basically it was impossible to maneuver in tight roads/rv parks etc.
my question is the older coronado chassis or the newer cascadia or volvo chassis any better?
thanks!
mastiff23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2014, 09:27 PM   #2

My Haulmark is an 07 45ft on the Coronado and I think considering the length of the wheelbase it is very maneuverable. Wheelcut on it and the columbia will probably be the same as the only real difference is the body. Can't speak for the volvo but it might be a little better due to the bigger front axle setback.

I have driven (oilfield...read heavy spec)trucks upto 410inch wheelbase and my coach out turns most of the trucks in the 265-300inch range
porky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:30 PM   #3

mastiff23, porky29

Glad to have you with us.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:34 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're both aboard. Best of luck in your search and decision. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by porky69 View Post
My Haulmark is an 07 45ft on the Coronado and I think considering the length of the wheelbase it is very maneuverable. Wheelcut on it and the columbia will probably be the same as the only real difference is the body. Can't speak for the volvo but it might be a little better due to the bigger front axle setback.

I have driven (oilfield...read heavy spec)trucks upto 410inch wheelbase and my coach out turns most of the trucks in the 265-300inch range
i have read other posts here stating the volvo has a better wheel cut maybe that's why it seems most of the new builds i see from renegade,show hauler etc are on volvos!
mastiff23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:50 AM   #6

I would not purchase Volvo just based on "Wheel Cut" Build on the platform that you like....no big deal backing up a little for the tight turns....
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:26 PM   #7

As GENECOP said buy what suits you, not what everyone tells you to buy. I personally wouldn't buy a Volvo as it is just not my style.

With my Coronado (which is not my first choice in a chassis, but is closer to the top than a Volvo) I take turns as best I can and if it doesn't work out, crank the wheels hard in the other direction, back up a few feet, crank it back and try again.

Ad just because a truck is a "sister" to your buddies doesn't ensure it will turn the same. The rig moving company I worked for ordered 3 "IDENTICAL" tandem steer/tandem drive 385inch double set back bed truck chassis and 2 out of the 3turned just fine but the one in the middle (serial numbers were sequential) never turned as sharp. After checking hat all steering system part numbers were right and the same as the other trucks they started making adjustments that helped but never got it to turn the same. So long story short, paper specs don't always match real world performance.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:55 PM   #8

Gosh, I like my Volvo and even the style of it.
Never drove anything else so wouldn't how the other brands turn compared to mine. I have very little problem with making turns in and out of parking lots or getting around camp grounds. With that said, I have heard the Volvo has a tighter turn but do not know. Go to a tc dealer and test drive the different brands.
Best luck

Tags
steering