Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2019, 07:21 AM   #1

Question Verona dies while driving

I have a friend that owns a 2019 Verona that blows the ECM fuse occasionally while driving. Anyone else ever have or know of this? Don't need someone to say to take it to Freightliner or Cummins, he has been there done that several times, and they can't find the problem. All they do is blame each other. I do think Cummins is going to try a new ECM, but their just guessing as well. Guy is almost ready to sell, he is feed up. I am fairly sure there is a chaffing wire harness somewhere, because it was fine for first 6K miles then it started doing it. Problem is it is not visible by looking at it, it must be an internal chaff in a harness if that is what it is.

Tom C
twc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2019, 08:20 AM   #2

I found myself here a number of years ago. Not with a coach but a stupendously desirable product form a certain Italian manufacturer of automobiles. Their warranty/service experts were no better.

For whatever reason; they chose to control one 12 cylinder engine with two ECU's...one for each bank of six. So, it was basically two inline 6 bangers on a common crankshaft. I still, to this day, have serious questions as to why.

Anyway, the left bank(engine) always ran perfectly...after the ecu's booted up and ran through the active aero drivel. But, the right bank was flaky. It would often start up a good twenty seconds after lefty. Mind you , there was no shaking or coughing. Just a different sound and the smell of raw fuel shooting out the right exhaust pipe. It was getting no ignition spark. While the cat was cool; this was not a serious danger. But, it would do the same dance whilst driving. You can easily do the math on that. Thickly accented service masters who "knew" the product inside and out were stumped and tried every way imaginable to blame it on me. Their ineptness would never be acknowledged and there were legal proceedings. I did OK because all of my repairs were technically not on the engine that failed.

In the (post warranty) years before ultimate demise; I took on the issue myself after giving up on any real help. The process was crude but mostly effective. Each time the fault appeared; I assembled six of my favorite brewed beverage and one high quality Fluke meter. Every wire coming out of the right Motronic was tested for continuity...across the entire run. The wire jackets were made of what I figure to be something similar to bat guano. The fault could be chaffing anywhere along a wire. I'd usually find it by or during consumption of #4. If not, operations were suspended and the remaining two would be consumed in a rage to be revisited the next day.

Short story; the beautiful but shoddy machine ended up burning to the ground. There was no reasonable way to ultimately catch and subdue the beast. The otherwise reliable left bank caught the bug at a track day event. I noticed the issue immediately and shut down but there was too much heat and obviously enough raw fuel to create an epic flame torch out the back. There have, throughout history, not been enough fire extinguishers produced to tame the event.

I'm aware that this diatribe doesn't speak directly to the issue at hand. But, I'm kinda venting amongst friends and pointing out that the issue with which you are faced is probably something extremely simple, probably well hidden, and might just have severe consequences if not remedied. While the warranty period is ongoing; take every opportunity to hold accountable the parties in play. Both manufacturers involved here have infinitely better practices than those of the one I had the pleasure of dealing with.

2004 Country Coach Magna Chalet/ Cat C15
Samdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:51 AM   #3

I would get the ecm changed. They do sometimes go bad. Hopefully all engine grounds have already been checked.
tdeperte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:10 AM   #4

We had a similar issue but on a Harley. It would run fine, then after a few hours it would just die. Towed to a shop and it would start. On the second "die", while waiting for a tow truck I pulled the seat and touched the ECM and it was extremely hot. Told the techs but is started fine after it cooled off on the flatbed to shop. On the third failure and ready to invoke the "Lemon Law". they finally listened, rode the bike until it died on them. They checked the ECM, very hot. Ended up being a bad ECM.

Electronics today are very temperamental, have the ECM replaced if they want to throw parts at it first. Good luck and keep us posted.
SSTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:58 AM   #5

Just got a call from my friend and Freightliner replaced the ECM. So now it's a wait and see, hopefully this fixes it. Guy has lost his confidence in unit, it's not a good feeling when you never know if you are going to get there or not. I had a Ford 6 liter when they first came out that I didn't own for long, so I can speak from experience.

Tom C
twc88 is offline   Reply With Quote