Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2017, 08:14 AM   #1
Administrator Emeritus

Verona LE 40LTS outside storage mods

Coming from a Class A that had much deeper underbelly storage and sliding storage trays and seeing that the underbelly storage compartments are really deep, I'm wondering what others have done as far as any storage compartment mods...

The door latches look to stick out a bit,which would limit the width of a sliding storage tray, but has anyone done anything with these compartments other than just placing your items in them?

I know that the mounting brackets and sliding rails would further limit the width of a sliding shelf, but it seems on the surface like something worthy of considering...

Would love to hear what others have done....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2017, 12:45 PM   #2

I've just piled stuff in there.
I did get some plastic bins to try and organize stuff.
I will be following this thread to see what others have done.

Bruce
deputybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:53 PM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputybubba View Post
I did get some plastic bins to try and organize stuff.
Bruce
My better half will tell you that I'm the "king" of plastic bin stacking storage and that's definitely one thought I'm pondering for the smaller of the compartments... In my stick house garage I have a series of shelves with clear bins stacked. Of course the bins are labeled.

I'm hoping Ed S and maybe even Frank or several of the others will chime in as well... Thanks for your reply!!
Old 08-15-2017, 08:27 PM   #4

Plastic Bins work great. I use the drivers side for tool type stuff with a small tool box and a couple of plastic bins. One labeled "electrical" and one labeled "other Tools" The rear bay has my Progressive, the Hughes autoformer, and a small bin with miscellaneous stuff like 50 to 30, 50 to 15, 30 to 15, a double 30 to 50 amp converters Also 2 25 foot and 2 6 foot 10 gauge extension cords.

Rear passenger has a Jump Box, a cordless 2500 watt LED light, a charger for the spare battery for the hitachi 12 volt cordless drill (all these plugged in to a receptacle not run by the inverter. Also have a small plastic bin with the Stuff for the toad, the RVI brake controller and the tow bar. Still room for a bit more stuff in this bay.

Next Bay forward holds the Aquahot so I put a foldable handtruck and the air hose in there along with a coiled water hose to use on the black tank flush (maybe its just me but I want it as separate as I can get it from the fresh stuff).

Next one is for an EXTEND brand 12.5 foot collapsible ladder. Tire guage, California Waterblade motorhome squeegee, and the rest of the cleaning stuff, with the smaller stuff in a plastic bin.

The next one up is for the specialty type stuff, Patio Rug, Small cooler, Barbecue and still leaves room for a few toys that go bang when we go where its appropriate or has a range close by.

Front one is the wife's. She puts bottled water, Chips and such in that one.

We have had a few of these and have learned how to take just the essentials and not crowd everything with stuff we might use once in 10 years.

In the end. I think plastic bins work as well as roll-out trays as the roll-out trays actually take up their own room and take away storage space. Just separate bins and bays with like kind stuff. Kind of like Home Depot has different departments.

Hope this helps
Old 08-16-2017, 05:57 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Tamez View Post
We have had a few of these and have learned how to take just the essentials and not crowd everything with stuff we might use once in 10 years.

In the end. I think plastic bins work as well as roll-out trays as the roll-out trays actually take up their own room and take away storage space. Just separate bins and bays with like kind stuff. Kind of like Home Depot has different departments.

Hope this helps
Thanks so much Frank.... Great post and points.

In my last two Class A's two of the compartments were narrow and pass through from side to side and it made sense for the sliding shelves, but with the Verona having wider and not as deep compartments, it makes more sense NOT to encumber the space with the sliding brackets.
Your post helps immensely, as I was thinking of a similar layout.

And I totally agree with keeping black tank items as far away from the others... .

*** On edit, I just reread your comment about the Aquahot location on your Explorer and I've noticed on the 40LTS the Aquahot is in the forward most passenger side compartment. There has to be a reason for this, but it sure would make more sense to me to put "those items" on the street side and as such give us more use of the curb side compartments... Thoughts?
Old 08-16-2017, 07:17 AM   #6

So I don't have the aqua hot. But my hot water heater is located right above the doorway storage compartment. Maybe Renegade was keeping all the plumbing close to the same?
I have really no street side storage... A tiny bit for a hose in the electrical cord storage compartment.
Mine is the shorter 36 ft Verona.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:11 AM   #7

While I don't have a Renegade (yet), I keep tools on the curbside in the event I need something while stopped on the side of the road.

Streetside is for stuff I'll use once camped and setting up - patio mat, chocks, pads, etc.

We're 'struggling' with the same planning (for when we get a Renegade); I keep telling my DW we don't need twelve place settings for dining and seventeen bath towels...

2018 Renegade Explorer / 2021 Jeep Gladiator
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:28 AM   #8

So I remembered that I do have a couple of things streetside.
I manage to get our rug/tarp under the propane tank, that works out well as the bottom of the propane compartment is metal mesh. So any dirt on the rug/tarps doesn't accumulate in the bottom of the compartment.

The only other thing is that big chairs don't fit into the storage compartments.
We have some of the lounger type chairs and they are too wide to fit.
And no ladder to hang them on...
so into the toad they go.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:58 AM   #9

We don't have a Verona, but we have similar storage issues. I studied slide out trays for the storage for some time. I decided that although they afford some convenience, they can waste precious space.

Coming from travel trailers with plenty of storage, we had to jettison a considerable amount of non-essential gear. We made better use of our inside storage. The toad became the designated "mud room" where we store hunting/fishing gear, boots, wet/muddy gear, etc. We also found that there is considerable storage in our jackknife sofa. 3 cases of water fit under ours.

Over on the truck conversion forum, I've mostly seen plastic bins used in the outside storage, and/or some shelves installed.

We just stack our stuff in the outside compartments, and open them cautiously when we arrive

Tags
storage