Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2017, 05:42 PM   #1
Administrator Emeritus

Verona LE Delivery PDI and trip home first impressions...

Here is the first picture of our new Verona LE in his resting place beside my daughter's stick and brick house... It's where I had once lived and set the RV pad, so it's where the rig will stay when home...

This is a pic of the rig set up in the PDI area at North Trail.... It was a beautiful Florida day, so I snapped a pic...

I'll follow this post with some thoughts....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2017, 06:28 PM   #2
Administrator Emeritus

I have read through the various threads regarding the OEM seats and the lack of storage in the driver compartment and the various other M2 performance threads, but until yesterday and more so today, I was unable to post with any firsthand knowledge.... For the purpose of complete disclosure and to cover all the "bases", this very first post in this thread will be somewhat of a narrative of the past two days events/ experiences with the PDI and base plate/ brake install at North Trail.
It is my hope that "anyone on the fence" who is on the east coast, might read these words and learn from them....

First impressions at PDI.... Dan was our "show" person, as they call it a "show" of the coach to the purchasers there at North Trail. When we walked in the coach we stopped at the top of the steps and he went over the process that he would be using. We essentially started on the nearest wall to our right as we walked in and worked our way around the entire front of the coach, then we moved to the middle of the coach and then to the bedroom area, using the "go around the wall" process in each area.
If in fact I had a question, we spent time at that "area" answering the question. IF there was an issue, Dan noted it on his clipboard....
I must say this is my fifth diesel coach, and sixth RV counting my very first entry level fifth wheel in 1993 and I learned more from Dan regarding the operation of the inverter panel than I'd ever learned before.... We spent time going through EACH button position, and each step and function of the AGS function....
*** Note to self, when making an overnight run on the genset to go from point A to point B, it pays to REMEMBER you set the "quiet time" on the genset....Boggled my tired mind until I realized the genset cut off for quiet time....LOL***
Anyway, we went around the entire inside, then went outside and went around the total exterior of the coach, in and out of every compartment and the engine compartment.

As a result of the PDI, we found three issues.... #1)The outside multi-audio head wouldn't play the tv sound, but that was just a simple tv setting.
2) The awning wouldn't come out when we operated either the wall switch or the remote, so one tech came and got on a ladder and found that it seemed the awning was "hanging up" on one end... He messed with it for a few minutes, then called for reinforcements... "Willie" apparently is the "go to" Carefree Awning guy and I really learned a few things watching him. He started at one end and loosened a "set" bolt, then turned an adjustment allen wrench, then tightened the set nut... He ended up working his way down the four (I think...) brackets and then the awning operated in and out like butter. He even put WD40 on the hinge arms as they were a little squeaky....
3) The third and final item that wasn't working was the keyless entry keypad... For some reason we weren't able to get it to give us "green lights" indicating that it accepted my personal programming number...
Several guys messed with that and I agreed that my salesperson Kyle would investigate it further with the folks at the factory... That wasn't something that I needed to stay overnight for....

Along with the new coach, I contracted with North Trail to install my Blue OX baseplate and the Air Force One on my F150. They also installed the "coach" portion of the Air Force One as well.
I dropped the truck off at 8:30 and was told that each portion of the install was a "half day" job.... To my dismay, I didn't get the F1500 back until right around 7:30. Now, on one hand I am extremely thankful to the two techs that stayed over and finished the job, but on the other hand I was promised a finish time of 5 p.m.
I received a call from the service manager today, asking how everything was working and my reply was "it seems to be doing well, I'm dragging it down I95." LOL!!
He took the time to apologize and told me that honestly, there had been a tech who gave a two weeks notice, but elected to quit yesterday.
I told him that I was sort of GLAD that the guy quit, in that I didn't want my truck to be his "last hurrah" at North Trail.... I had thoughts of his lack of care in my truck, thinking that he wouldn't be there if I ever had issues..

All in all it ended well and my buddy and I got on the road.....
Old 08-30-2017, 06:45 PM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Some thoughts after driving and riding in my coach for the two day 13 hour ride home....

2017 OEM seats are pretty comfortable to me, although with my short legs I all but have the air bladder all the way down. I am able to put a little air back in the seat, but much higher and I can't reach the pedals.
The "swivel" cable that attaches to the swivel handle on the passenger seat was unattached when we looked at the coach for the very first time, Kyle put it back in place on the handle and it's already come off again on the way home.... With just Cherene and I in the coach ninety percent of the time, I'm honestly thinking of plastic cable tying it to the base and forgetting about it until I can address it somewhere at a service stop. Swivel not that important to me/ us

I totally agree that the existing cup holders are really bad and plan on doing the same small mod that everyone seems to be doing, to include the scan gauge.

After two days of dealing with the Freightliner fuel gauge, I'd rather run along beside the truck and use a wooden dip stick... At our first fuel stop, I filled the driver side and my good friend filled the slave side, all the way as far as we could and the gauge read no higher than 3/4 and within several hundred miles was reading below half.... That's just BAD.

I'm really not happy with the placement of the camera screen, I'm thinking I'd rather move the cameras to an auxillary screen that's a little higher on the dash, leaving the nav and radio to be operated by the remote....

Cruise worked well and I'm in total agreement with others who have spoken their "not in awe" of the compression brake... Had to get used to CENTER being off and low and high respectively....

Wipers and washer worked well, I drove in a driving rain coming north last night for several hours and I had to concentrate on the driving, as well as listening and learning all of the "new" noises a new coach makes...
Needless to say, I was pretty tired when I laid my head on the pillow...

Overall performance was really well, albeit on relatively flat I-4 and I-95.

Next few days I'll spend getting the outside stuff where I want it, I came home to a table full of "new camper stuff" that my better half had purchased in my absence....

I'll post more as I think of it.... Going to finish this cold adult beverage for now...
Old 08-30-2017, 06:51 PM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Oh.... one more quick subject I thought of....

My PDI guy was pretty knowledgeable on all things satellite and since only the "Winegard Mission In Motion" dome was included in my deal, I got to talking to him about satellite tv.

After talking to Cherene, we pretty much decided that the in motion dome wasn't the way we want to go, since she'll most likely be sitting beside me going down the road... The other issue we discussed was internet, when we get where we are going.... With my old Essex and London Aire coaches, I used a Datastorm on the roof for broadband internet, with the in motion dish in the front of the coach... That was a time when my teenagers were with me a lot of the time and they enjoyed the in motion aspect.

Dan told me that he's pretty certain that there's a pre-wire in the roof of the coach toward the back, for another satellite install....
I am "toying" with the idea of changing out the dome to a small dish for tv, and then adding a dish on the rear for internet....

I'll let you guys now after I make a few calls next week....
Old 08-30-2017, 07:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelsbeach View Post
Oh.... one more quick subject I thought of....

My PDI guy was pretty knowledgeable on all things satellite and since only the "Winegard Mission In Motion" dome was included in my deal, I got to talking to him about satellite tv.

After talking to Cherene, we pretty much decided that the in motion dome wasn't the way we want to go, since she'll most likely be sitting beside me going down the road... The other issue we discussed was internet, when we get where we are going.... With my old Essex and London Aire coaches, I used a Datastorm on the roof for broadband internet, with the in motion dish in the front of the coach... That was a time when my teenagers were with me a lot of the time and they enjoyed the in motion aspect.

Dan told me that he's pretty certain that there's a pre-wire in the roof of the coach toward the back, for another satellite install....
I am "toying" with the idea of changing out the dome to a small dish for tv, and then adding a dish on the rear for internet....

I'll let you guys now after I make a few calls next week....
Fantastic write-up. Please keep us informed on what you decide to do with the internet. We are headed out on our maiden voyage this weekend. A short 400 mile round trip to central Pa for some football.
cment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:35 AM   #6

You might want to check on the ZTE Mobley deal with AT&T that gives you unlimited data for $20/mo. I leave mine on 24/7 and can use it as we go down the road, not possible with a dish for internet.

I have found that filling the tanks and getting fairly accurate fuel readings is fairly simple.

I used to have to fill my DPs by waiting a few minutes after the pump kicks off for the foam to settle and I could add quite a bit more fuel, same thing on the M2. After the nozzle cuts out, I manually add fuel until I can SEE it coming up the filler neck on both sides. When I do that the fuel guage shows full properly etc. plus I get more fuel in .
Ziggy8321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy8321 View Post
I have found that filling the tanks and getting fairly accurate fuel readings is fairly simple.

I used to have to fill my DPs by waiting a few minutes after the pump kicks off for the foam to settle and I could add quite a bit more fuel, same thing on the M2. After the nozzle cuts out, I manually add fuel until I can SEE it coming up the filler neck on both sides. When I do that the fuel guage shows full properly etc. plus I get more fuel in .
Exactly my experience with filling the tanks also.
This is my first diesel RV and I was surprised how much 'babying' I had to do for the tanks to be topped off.
I find that I carry one of those lights that mount to your head and that helps alot to see the level of the fuel in the tank.

Thanks for the writeup, since I'm new to the big boy diesel's I thought the compression brake worked fine... but I don't have anything to compare it too.

Bruce
deputybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelsbeach View Post
Some thoughts after driving and riding in my coach for the two day 13 hour ride home....

I'm really not happy with the placement of the camera screen, I'm thinking I'd rather move the cameras to an auxillary screen that's a little higher on the dash, leaving the nav and radio to be operated by the remote....

I'll post more as I think of it.... Going to finish this cold adult beverage for now...
I too HATE the placement of the camera screen. In the daylight it is totally useless, especially with polarized sunglasses on.

I have bought a 7" monitor and plan to attach it ON TOP of the dash or below the overhead (still playing). I plan to hook the output from the camera control box to the input of the monitor. Using an external monitor will allow me to leave the camera/s on and I can display all 3 or any combination of up to 4 cameras (planning on adding a front cam too). This *should* take me about an hour or two to do and the monitor is less than $40 on Amazon.
Ziggy8321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:45 AM   #9

Good to hear you made it home safe and sound. The adult beverage sound great. I have found that the only thing better than an adult beverage is 2 adult beverages

The big question that answers everything. Any buyers remorse?

Me? Nope!!!!
Old 08-31-2017, 09:47 AM   #10

that is a great looking rig. Congratulations!
Old 08-31-2017, 09:49 AM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Tamez View Post
Good to hear you made it home safe and sound. The adult beverage sound great. I have found that the only thing better than an adult beverage is 2 adult beverages

The big question that answers everything. Any buyers remorse?

Me? Nope!!!!
No remorse at all Frank....

I got several compliments in the truck fuel aisles from the pros.... Thry loved it.

All my neighbors came running over as well, it'd been about 7 years that the RV pad sat empty and they all wanted to see the new one.

Bob
Old 08-31-2017, 10:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy8321 View Post
I too HATE the placement of the camera screen. In the daylight it is totally useless, especially with polarized sunglasses on.

I have bought a 7" monitor and plan to attach it ON TOP of the dash or below the overhead (still playing). I plan to hook the output from the camera control box to the input of the monitor. Using an external monitor will allow me to leave the camera/s on and I can display all 3 or any combination of up to 4 cameras (planning on adding a front cam too). This *should* take me about an hour or two to do and the monitor is less than $40 on Amazon.
I'll ditto the placement of the radio/camera also.
Has ANYONE been successful in changing radio stations going down the road ?
it's all touch screen and WAY over there... gave up after a few attempts, now DW is in charge of the radio....
deputybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:52 PM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputybubba View Post
I'll ditto the placement of the radio/camera also.
Has ANYONE been successful in changing radio stations going down the road ?
Being a Sirius addict, I activated the satellite radio and preset some stations, thinking I could reach over, but after a few tries I gave that up...

A good friend of mine rode down and back with me and he used the remote to change the stations from the passenger seat....

My better half didn't want part of my plans to do the "down and back" marathon, so I had a buddy ride with me...

From the looks of the pile of stuff I found in the spare room when I got home, she was much too busy trying to fill those cabinets INSIDE the coach...

Too funny, I told her that I bought a sewer hose,some toilet paper and chemicals and some electrical adapters and that was NOTHING compared to the shopping trip she took....Oh well, happy bestie means a happy life.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:26 PM   #14
Administrator Emeritus

RV satellite update.....

I was able to locate the information from 2008, when I had the old Motosat internet system installed on my then London Aire... As it turns out, I was able to contact Bud Burton with Mobilsat here in Chesapeake, VA and we chatted about our new coaches before we discussed my satellite "wants". Bud and his wife just purchased a Cornerstone...
(Hard to call them needs.... ya know?)

After the Motosat satellite internet company went under, Bud decided to engineer an rv dish and market it himself.... What was born out of that desire was the RVDATASAT 840.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/a-n...a-sat-service/

After talking to Bud, he's going to quote me a package whereby he removes the Wineguard Mission Dome and puts an RF Mogul there in it's place.... Then we'll move to the rear of the coach and install a RVDATASAT on the roof in the rear.... We only chatted for a minute, because we both were in between other things going on, but we'll eventually come up with the DISH receiver set up inside the coach...