Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:43 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelsbeach View Post
Forgot to take pics, but I opened the box on the Garmin 770 that I ordered and got it set up and situated on the dash.It came with a heavy bean bag type dash mount, which utilizes the windshield mount out of the Garmin box... Pretty easy step by step setup, chose RV and was able to input height, weight and overall length into the settings....I set up the "home" address as where I keep the coach and I didn't mess with the "avoid roads" for now...I'm not real happy with the "dangling power cord" and I'll end up doing something to clean that up, but time was getting short this afternoon and I had dogs waiting to be fed at home.

I've also just been using the Force 5 console without the wiring harness or the Scan Gauge, but thanks to a tip about a local RV mechanic, I'll be taking the coach out to him on Wednesday for him to install the wiring harness for the console. I called Force 5 and asked him about whether or not I needed to secure the console to the dash and the guy laughed.... Said he'd not heard of one ever moving.... I left it at that.
You will like that 770. I used one for my brief 2 month OTR career and loved it. It has some especially nice trip planning features and nice ability to find upcoming services. I've since moved it to the Renegade and demoted my DEZL. Unfortunately, it is not perfect. I still found it best to run my Apple Map simultaneously, so I could double check it and more easily scroll around and peek at the satellite view while not disturbing my Garmin route.

petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2017, 06:32 PM   #58
Administrator Emeritus

This morning I took the rig out to the local RV tech for him to run the wiring harness for the Force 5 console. As I had mentioned, as part of the console I had purchased a Scan Gauge to go in the slot and plug into the appropriate plug under the dash. Dropped the rig off at 0800 and by about 9 I'd gotten a call from Mr Williams, telling me I had purchased the wrong ScanGauge unit.
As he showed me, the plug under the dash is a round green one and apparently the unit I bought was for a "lighter duty" application. So I had a real moment.
The GOOD news is that Mr Williams showed me how simple the Scan Gauge wiring install is, as I'll just tie wrap the wire(s) to what's already under the dash and route the wires over toward the green female inlet that's over almost to the driver's door.

OH!!! Has anyone else been disappointed in the way that the manual "fore and aft" adjustment lever works....or should I say, sometimes doesn't work?
The tech had slid my driver's seat back in order to get his rather large self down under the dash, and as I am vertically challenged, I had to readjust the seat..... I spent a good ten minutes trying to get the lever in the right position to allow the seat to move. Seems that the outer lever has a "lock" position on it and I finally had all the stars aligned and my tongue in the right position and got it adjusted....

And petrel, I played with the 770 on the way out to Chesapeake and it seemed to work fine.... I have it mounted to the bean bag mount and for now it sits directly above the rear camera screen... I had also purchased a snap on 7 inch "hood" and I give it high marks.

rebelsbeach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:41 AM   #59

I've always preferred the bean bag mounts, so long as the dash isn't too steep. It makes it easier to snatch it off the dash and "study on it" instead of having to snap it out of a mount. Unfortunately, some rigs, like the Cascadia I drove for a bit, did not have a good place for the bean bag mount.

I feel your pain on the seat adjustment. We have Bostrum seat suspension with the lock you refer to. There is no easy adjustment to that sucker. When the DW and I switch off, I have to get out and stand on the running board and put the lever at eye level! I find that when I am looking right at the lever, it responds more readily to profanity and threats of assault with a sledge hammer!

BTW I think it is sort of a universal thing. When I was in OTR training, the seat in my instructor's international was just as uncooperative. My instructor would fume and complain so much when we switched off that I finally just learned to just tolerate the seat positioned in his favorite spot.
petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:43 PM   #60
Administrator Emeritus

For those of you watching for a trip report for our scheduled appointment on the 15th at North Trail, we've had to delay our departure....

We're now scheduled to drop off the rig at North Trail on the afternoon of the 27th of November. Kyle Erp told us we could stay in the rig overnight, but since they're going to be taking the couch out and installing the theater seating, we opted to use the "North Trail" rate at the Best Western up the road a bit...

Still planning on leaving the rig and the Jeep in Fort Myers and then coming back down after Christmas.

It's hell to get old and have to listen to the docs, but it beats the alternative.
Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM   #61
Administrator Emeritus

Imagine my surprise when I took the round black ended cable for the San Gauge and found that it won't fit.... So I came home and apparently I need this...Anyone else find they need this? ARRRRRGHH!!!!!

[IMG]http://www.irv2.com/attachments/photopost/data/500/Screen_Shot_2017-11-19_at_4_00_00_PM.png/IMG]
Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM   #62
Administrator Emeritus

Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM   #63

I thought you could order the scangauge with the correct adapter?
I will be interested to see who answers
deputybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM   #64

Just call them and tell them. They'll send you the correct one. Happened to me. No big deal just had to wait 2 more days than I wanted.
Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM   #65
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe II View Post
Just call them and tell them. They'll send you the correct one. Happened to me. No big deal just had to wait 2 more days than I wanted.
Thanks Joe.... So, Scangauge will send me the adapter?
Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM   #66

No. They will send you a whole new scangauge. Just return the one you have to them once the new one arrives
Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM   #67
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
No. They will send you a whole new scangauge. Just return the one you have to them once the new one arrives
Thanks...
Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM   #68
Administrator Emeritus

While we're on the subject, let me go on record as being TOTALLY SATISFIED with the Force 5 console.... REALLY NICE to have the extra cupholders, as well as the charging ports and I'm sure once I get the "wrinkle" worked out, I'll definitely enjoy the ScanGauge as well.

Fired off an email to ScanGuage explaining the issue and I'm sure they'll get back in touch tomorrow...

Bob
Old Today, 06:07 PM   #69
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
GREAT customer service... Got an email first thing this morning which told me they were sending me the correct ScanGauge, as well as a drop ship envelope to return the one I have.

Along with the new unit and cable will be a pre-paid shipping label attached to a USPS Priority Mail Padded Envelope. All you need to do is simply insert your original unit and cable into the padded envelope, seal it and drop it off at the post office."

Love great service....