Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:32 PM   #1

What exactly is needed to convert to rv?

In mass what is required to convert title to rv. I'm liking at some tandem axle sleeper trucks but not sure exactly what is required to do. Once tractor is registers as rv I can tow a regualr semi trailer right?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2014, 07:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster2012 View Post
In mass what is required to convert title to rv. I'm liking at some tandem axle sleeper trucks but not sure exactly what is required to do. Once tractor is registers as rv I can tow a regualr semi trailer right?
In BC, Canada you can. An RV must meet the requirements, which mostly is potable water, cooking,etc. Then it is registered and insured that way. We had a conversion like this for our MX race team which was insured as RV except when we when to Central America where the bike became an issue so we changed to commercial while on that trip, then back to RV once back in North America.

I would have to assume it is some what similar where you are. Our insurance guy is who we got the details for the requirements to be registered as an RV. We meant them and simply had him switch it over. The insurance was lower too. Note this was a 16 wheeler, one rear axle.

I hope that helps some.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzler View Post
In BC, Canada you can. An RV must meet the requirements, which mostly is potable water, cooking,etc. Then it is registered and insured that way. We had a conversion like this for our MX race team which was insured as RV except when we when to Central America where the bike became an issue so we changed to commercial while on that trip, then back to RV once back in North America.

I would have to assume it is some what similar where you are. Our insurance guy is who we got the details for the requirements to be registered as an RV. We meant them and simply had him switch it over. The insurance was lower too. Note this was a 16 wheeler, one rear axle.

I hope that helps some.
The issue with that is I can't go commerical route becUse then I can't leave Massachusetts ubill I'm 21. With the rv I can drive it anywhere on the country at 18. Did ur semi start as a single rear axle or? What did y do to your truck
Old 03-05-2014, 08:14 PM   #4

It did start out as a single, but we removed the sleeper, extend the frame a small amount, then build basically a small RV cabin behind the cab. The trailer was build with a shop and large hang/living room with bathroom, but that was done later and never needed any change in registration. It did have to be weighted I believe, but I don't remember for sure. We picked the tracker up for a good deal, otherwise it may have been a dual rear axle.

We got no hassles crossing the boarder to the USA or driving around the USA. Nor back to Canada. Mexico we could have gone as a RV, but they make the boarder such a pain with the gear otherwise.

What your doing makes sense. I hope it works out for you. An good insurance guy should be able to point you in the right direction. Also I don't think changing the "sleeper" required any kind of inspection.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:40 PM   #5

This is not the one we did, but it looks pretty much the same. We had stairs going up the back with a small deck on top as well. Kingsley Coach, Renegade are companies to check out for ideas. They both have been building big rig for years. I am not a big fan of Oak wood and leather though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sterlingtoter.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	57591  
Old 03-05-2014, 09:09 PM   #6

I'm just thinking now And trying to decide 53ft dry van or 28ft dry van to convert to mini house and storage area for off road vehicles not sure which is easer to get around towns with prob 28footer
Old 03-05-2014, 09:21 PM   #7

Quote:
I'm just thinking now And trying to decide 53ft dry van or 28ft dry van to convert to mini house and storage area for off road vehicles not sure which is easer to get around towns with prob 28footer
We had a cube van converted because I live on an island and the ferry cost are so high. We used it on the island for practice and took it to Cental America a few times. I think it is a perfect size. You can do a good 8x8 or so shop and still have good space for living up front. Add a cab over and you now have a bedroom. Find one that has the fibreglass laminated plywood box. Super easy to put windows in and build on. Here is one of the team mockups we did on it. I can't find the photos of the actual truck right now. I think it was a 23ft. Great rig that little guy was.
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2014, 10:15 PM   #8

I think you need running water and a cooktop to make it work as a rv.. if you want I can send you pics of the inside of my Kingsley for layout ideas.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpower View Post
I think you need running water and a cooktop to make it work as a rv.. if you want I can send you pics of the inside of my Kingsley for layout ideas.
Yes exactly that, potable water.
For the work and money, why don't you search for something like a FunMover. Many were setup pretty good. Depends on your budget, but building this thing could get costly and take a while as well.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:50 AM   #10

The cube can is a good idea. Mabey like a 24ft box truck that's under cdl and convert it
Old 03-06-2014, 06:57 AM   #11

Not an exact answer to your question, but for tax purposes, to claim the interest on a loan as a "second home", the object must have "sleeping, bathing, and cooking facilities". This applies to a cabin in the woods, a boat, a van, or a recreational vehicle. Maybe reversing the requirements, if you have sleeping, bathing, and cooking facilities, then it's a recreational vehicle.

Quote:
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:02 AM   #12

Quote:
The cube can is a good idea. Mabey like a 24ft box truck that's under cdl and convert it
You can find used RV parts, or new if you rather, and build this pretty quickly. The one in the photo has been as far as Panama City. Fun trips, easy to drive. It has a one of those wide pull out ramps. The box was the same box used for Rider rental trucks. The diesel beat the front ends up on the rough roads though. Other than that it was a great truck for what we used it for.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzler View Post
You can find used RV parts, or new if you rather, and build this pretty quickly. The one in the photo has been as far as Panama City. Fun trips, easy to drive. It has a one of those wide pull out ramps. The box was the same box used for Rider rental trucks. The diesel beat the front ends up on the rough roads though. Other than that it was a great truck for what we used it for.
I like the box truck idea better. If I get a 26k gvw truck how much weight can I legally put In it without a cld? I like the box truck idea better. Easier to drive.. Plus can pick up old international and freightliner ones cheap
Old 03-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #14

Quote:
I like the box truck idea better. If I get a 26k gvw truck how much weight can I legally put In it without a cld? I like the box truck idea better. Easier to drive.. Plus can pick up old international and freightliner ones cheap
You would have to know the GRVW, then strip everything out if there is anything, and get it weighed so you could consider out how much weight it is going to take to build the rig. The left over is your cargo capacity. As long as the truck is not over weight you are fine. Go to a truck stop to get the weights. Also be careful how you balance the load, such as water and gear, or storage. You can't have has much weight on the front as you can the rear. You will need to plan that out. But really it will not be that hard, as you are not adding tons of weight with the "RV" work you are doing. Just consider water tanks and if you are using batteries house power, plan where they go. Just good balance.

Also, would you be towing? More weight questions to figure out. A little research on line about GRVW will pay off before you buy something.