Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:34 PM   #1

Who insures your truck conversion?

We have a new-to-us Showhauler. It's 9 years old but pristine and has only 80,000 miles on it! We were just informed that Progressive, the insurance carrier our agent hooked us up with in NEW YORK STATE (which might be part of the problem), will only insure our Showhauler for $37,000 less than what we paid for it. Believe me, the rig is worth every penny that we paid for it.

So, who do you all use to insure your truck conversion RV? Here's what I have found so far:

• Geico won't touch it due to it being on a Freightliner chassis.
  • Good Sam/National General Insurance will insure it...the premium is half of what Progressive charged. But when I asked about how much I would get if it went up in flames (heaven forbid), I was told a claims adjuster would determine the value then. Does anyone have experience with this?
  • Allied is on my list to call next...assuming I can find a number for them.
Who else shall I call? I've been told that a replacement value policy is only good for models 5 years old or newer. I'm fine with that. If something happened, I would at least like to get the value of the RV at that point in time.

I'm feeling more than annoyed at this point. Hopefully someone out there has some words of wisdom. Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2014, 08:38 PM   #2

I have State Farm. I've been with the same guy for all my insurance for many many years. I called him up when I bought my rig and told him a little about it. Then I sent him a e-mail with the for sale ad, and the VIN, for my coach so that had all the pictures in it. He called me later and said I'm covered. Costs me about $550 for the year. $500 deductible, full coverage. Except I told him I don't want towing insurance. I'm in MN so I would guess RV insurance might be cheaper since it's parked for half the year? I think I've heard people mention "Blue Sky" for insurance on their HDT rigs? Maybe check with State Farm and Blue Sky. Good luck.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:24 AM   #3

It sounds like you are dealing with an independent insurance agent. It has been said that these are better because they will shop around for your coverage, rather than place you with just one company. Ask your agent to find someone who will sell you "Stated Value" or "Agreed Value" coverage. This isn't rocket science; lots of companies do this for cars, although there may be a higher rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgoeke View Post
We have a new-to-us Showhauler. It's 9 years old but pristine and has only 80,000 miles on it! We were just informed that Progressive, the insurance carrier our agent hooked us up with in NEW YORK STATE (which might be part of the problem), will only insure our Showhauler for $37,000 less than what we paid for it. Believe me, the rig is worth every penny that we paid for it.

So, who do you all use to insure your truck conversion RV? Here's what I have found so far:

• Geico won't touch it due to it being on a Freightliner chassis.
  • Good Sam/National General Insurance will insure it...the premium is half of what Progressive charged. But when I asked about how much I would get if it went up in flames (heaven forbid), I was told a claims adjuster would determine the value then. Does anyone have experience with this?
  • Allied is on my list to call next...assuming I can find a number for them.
Who else shall I call? I've been told that a replacement value policy is only good for models 5 years old or newer. I'm fine with that. If something happened, I would at least like to get the value of the RV at that point in time.

I'm feeling more than annoyed at this point. Hopefully someone out there has some words of wisdom. Thanks.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:54 PM   #4

Also, check with National Interstate.
Jim Gehlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:08 PM   #5

I have National Interstate, Explorer RV insurance. But mine is slightly smaller, medium duty chassis Super C size. No idea what service for claims, just got set up with them.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote