RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > MDT Conversions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:15 PM   #1

Air bags

I have a 2016 Chevy 3500 dually. The trailer I have right now has about a 3500lb pin weight. While it does sink a little the truck is not low in the back.

In the next year or so I am looking at a much heavier trailer. Right now I am 18k gvw, but I am typically less then 10k with most of the weight toward the front.

In preparing for a new unit I am considering airbags. This leaves me with 3 choices. Manual inflation, on board compressor, on board compressor with tank. Having 12 tires and the importance of proper tire inflation, I am considering going with the on board compressor with tank. I have heard if you want to use the compressor for anything other then airbags, you need a tank.

While I am sure it is cheaper to go with one of the portable ones recommended on this board, I was thinking the on board would be less trouble. One less thing to store and drag out.

Does anyone have any experience with an on board system?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2018, 01:13 PM   #2

My mdt has 3 tanks.. and when I want to use an external line, I just hook a line up to the gladhand connector.

With my first ram, I had manual fill up that was a pain.. on my second, I have an on board compressor... which makes life easy.

Not sure where you live but with an air tank you are dealing with a lot of condensation..that is why I have a air dryer on my mdt as well...if you have weather below zero..this may lead to troubles... but also rust.. I think I would leave the tank off but your situation may dictate otherwise.

With the weight you are stopping and navigating with (soon to be greater than 18K) , I would go with a bigger steed...maybe a 450 or 550. same floor print as a 350 dually..

Tags
air