Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > MDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:21 PM   #1

Any recent experience with F650/F750 trucks, options, ordering?

I am curious if anyone here has any recent experience with Ford's F650 and F750 trucks - class VI and VII, respectively. I am aware they are generally considered more "vocational" type trucks, as opposed to over-the-road. Has anyone built one that is better suited to "over-the-road" driving?

I am familiar with shipping through upfitters to do more custom work. However, I am not sure what is what I am after. I want to work in to an F750 at some point. My current truck is an F350 King Ranch. I'd like to get the same interior/options, though with bucket seats front and back and not the rear bench, and bare frame rails. I can rig the hitch, wiring, ect later, I don't need an upfitter to do it.

I am also aware of singling class 8's. Though the used prices on some of the Volvos etc is enticing, I am not sure that is the way I want to go. I am a pretty solid Ford guy.

I did an interstate move driving a new F750 box truck not too long ago. It was a nice truck, though the interior was very basic it was still a "super duty". If the cab was outfitted nicer (and there was better suspension in the seats/cab) it would suit what I am after.
FlyFishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2018, 09:31 AM   #2

Years back I guy I did some work for wrecked a F250, (or one of his workers did) He could not stand the down time, so bought a new truck, with plan to sell the rebuilt wreck. A cab fire in his F750 made it priority, so he put the 250 cab on the 750 chassis. His main gain is that with his down-sized company he can drive truck himself, not hire somebody with CDL to haul his Bobcat trailer. (I built the trailer he uses, with a rack for attachments. Trailer has 2 7,000 axles, but stamped next to the state assigned VIN GVWR 9000 lbs.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:36 PM   #3

You are kind of straddling the line. F650 is a mdt, F750 is a hdt in theory... but the engines in the 2 classes put out less than my class 5. And the specs on the F750 are essentially equiv to my class 5.

I know you are a ford guy.. I like Rams.. but the reason I didn't go 550/5000 is that the seats suck. Only 2 doors and emissions. Looked at the 750 specs..Springs only on the rear..so ride is going to be rough..on you and your 5th..you will *really* need a good air hitch set up or you will damage your 5th.

I see air brakes are only an option on a few models... no air ride seats or cab....

I have read about others that have gone the none industrial route and sell pretty quickly moving to frtliner / International mdt or up to a hdt..

Before i would pull the trigger, I would test drive both and buy the one you like..

There are deals to be had out there...
Old 08-11-2018, 06:49 PM   #4

Wow. Too much misinformation to bother correcting, here seemingly for no other reason than to justify one's purchase. Hey I get it. You like what you have. Not a problem. Just don't make things up to malign that with which you have no experience or knowledge.

I took a ride in a late model FL M2 maybe 2 years ago. Granted it was probably a base unit (rollback tow truck), but to say I was less than impressed would be putting it mildly. Noisy to point of making conversation difficult at best; ride was worse than my F350 4x4. I'd have to try one setup for my desired application before making a final decision.

On the surface, the F650/F750 should be every bit as capable as others in their class like Durastar & M2. Again, I'd have to butt test them all before deciding.

FlyFishn, do your homework on the manufacturers' websites, drive what you're interested in, and buy what you like.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:08 PM   #5

If you are referring to me, I looked at the specs of the F750 and compared them to my truck so no misinformation. Unless Ford is lying on their web site.

I really don't give a hooie what other folks run. Most of my friends run class 8s, not the 5 I have.

So what is the misinformation ??? What do you own ?

I have heard the Frtliner referred to driving like crap but the person doesn't describe how it was used, built, set up, or miles traveled.

Would I long haul with a truck that didn't have rear air, air cab and seats ? Nope..but if you want to go ahead.

Each to his own but the bigger ford / ram picks ups are still pick ups..and industrial truck is in a different class. Desighned and built for different uses.

Sorry to break your bubble but my rig is smooth and quiet... for a diesel. And if I want to make it louder, I have a 1K watt stereo in it..

Like I said "Before i would pull the trigger, I would test drive both and buy the one you like..".
Old 08-12-2018, 08:49 AM   #6

F450, 5500, etc. Your in a medium duty "Truck" It will ride like a truck, drive like a truck. Its heavily sprung and rides that way for a reason. F-350 3500 etc are designed more to ride like a car.

IMO the manufacturers are in a weight rating war like the HP wars of the 70's and the muscle car era. Would I put a 20K loaded actual weight on the back of a 350 no way. You only have 8k of truck underneath you. You can carry and pull it. But can you stop it. No way! Trailer brakes in a panic stop are junk. Look at the 5th wheel accidents on you tube. Just me but in planning a tow vehicle I plan on the "without trailer brakes situation". Do i have enough truck to stop without them.

The 650 and 750 Ford will be to tall really to haul a 5th wheel RV especially with the truck bed on the rear. Axle flips etc may be possible on the rv to raise it some.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
F450, 5500, etc. Your in a medium duty "Truck" It will ride like a truck, drive like a truck. Its heavily sprung and rides that way for a reason. F-350 3500 etc are designed more to ride like a car.
This statement just talks of evolution. Back when I started driving all pickups road rougher than most any car. But anybody that bought a pickup planed to need to haul something. It was more common for somebody that only had a car to work it like a truck than for somebody to use a truck to take wife and kids to store. Sometime in the late '60s/early '70s half ton suspension softened up for the car-like ride (Look at a '72 1500 GMC, and a say '72 Vista Cruser, from below) but a 3/4 ton was still a truck. (Working side by each a 62 1/2 ton Ford would handle a load of firewood as well as the 73 F250, but the radio for the 62 was a little transistor hanging on the rearview) Now you are telling the "punking" of trucks has run all the way up to class 3?

Quote:
IMO the manufacturers are in a weight rating war like the HP wars of the 70's and the muscle car era. Would I put a 20K loaded actual weight on the back of a 350 no way. You only have 8k of truck underneath you. You can carry and pull it. But can you stop it. No way! Trailer brakes in a panic stop are junk. Look at the 5th wheel accidents on you tube. Just me but in planning a tow vehicle I plan on the "without trailer brakes situation". Do i have enough truck to stop without them.
I have been pulling my camper for 13 years, never had a issue with the brakes. Before that I pulled many other trailers with E brakes, and never have I had a total failure on any of them. Have I had to repair them? Sure, I think I have worked on the brakes on every vehicle I have owned. What is the difference my E brakes on most trailers and the average RV? If I pull out on the highway I understand that I can be stopped at any time for a roadside CMV safety check. If, on a tandem trailer, 2 brakes do not work like they should my vehicle is impounded, may be towed away, but can not be driven until it is fixed. And I have to pay a fine. And if both of the bad brakes are on the same axle it might cost a extra $135-200 a ton for the weight on that axle. And even 1 brake or light not working can be a mark against my DL.
Bet if RVs where checked at anything near the rate of CMVs failing brakes would be no more common on trailers than TVs.
BTW, the people that camp at Long Branch State park outside Macon Mo. must agree with you. Last time I was there most of the tents rode in on class 2 4X4s
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:44 PM   #8

If comparing the ride of my GMC Topkick or an F650 or 750 as the OP is with no air ride unloaded. To that of an F350 or 3500. Yes the F350 rides more like a car. Sure Electric brakes help. But are they the bulk or majority of your braking ability no.

As to the brakes on trailers not working. Yeah there are many many trailers out there that have brakes and they probably don't work.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:26 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
My RV is built on a 1994 F-700 chassis. Ford say mine is a class 7.
which surprised Me cause it has a 5.9L engine. I guess they only go by the weight rating.
From the factory they seem to geared a bit too low and there is is almost NO sound insulation near the cab.
I get good Fuel economy because of the gears I swapped in.
It rides better than a F-350 now thanks to a (Freightliner) Air-liner rear suspension. That seems to be the simplest air ride suspension to swap in.

I be quite surprised if ford didn't offer air ride on their new trucks of this size.

I steer clear of Freightliner trucks. I seen em up close and get to see how well they build school buses twice a day.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
My RV is built on a 1994 F-700 chassis. Ford say mine is a class 7.
which surprised Me cause it has a 5.9L engine. I guess they only go by the weight rating.
From the factory they seem to geared a bit too low and there is is almost NO sound insulation near the cab.
I get good Fuel economy because of the gears I swapped in.
It rides better than a F-350 now thanks to a (Freightliner) Air-liner rear suspension. That seems to be the simplest air ride suspension to swap in.

I be quite surprised if ford didn't offer air ride on their new trucks of this size.

I steer clear of Freightliner trucks. I seen em up close and get to see how well they build school buses twice a day.

Yes, class is based on weight vs engine.

I was too when I read the specs on the new fords but I cannot agree with the last comment.. I wouldn't buy a Lincoln because I see how the Pinto is assembled ?

Many of the Frtliners pulling RVs have been reworked by another factory such as sport chassis. They are not the same animal that rolled off the assembly line.

I think the biggest problem today is under trucked 5th wheels. Being able to "pull" is not the same as stopping and emergency maneuvering.. yes, you can upgrade your 5th brakes to disc..many who have too small trucks do..

I just arrived home from a trip where I hauled for 56 hours..much of it on not great roads. At our last campsite I was parked by a guy who had a brand new solitude (electric brakes) and F350 single. The second day were were there, he had a onan generator installed in his front cubby. I asked him how much his rig weighed because it was 38 foot.. he said the brochure said 17K. They are full timers

He said the truck "pulled" great.. I thought I do not want to be in the front of him if he has to stop quickly..
Old 06-07-2019, 11:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
Would I put a 20K loaded actual weight on the back of a 350 no way. You only have 8k of truck underneath you. You can carry and pull it. But can you stop it. No way!
I hear this a lot, but how is the math different for a 20K HDT trying to stop with a 50K trailer behind it? In both cases the trailer ways 2.5 times the tow vehicle, but I don't hear of the same concern for semis.
Sipester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipester View Post
I hear this a lot, but how is the math different for a 20K HDT trying to stop with a 50K trailer behind it? In both cases the trailer ways 2.5 times the tow vehicle, but I don't hear of the same concern for semis.
you really are on the wrong forum for this discussion. Go to

Forums - Escapees Discussion Forum

Or a great FB page..

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4186...?ref=bookmarks
Old 06-10-2019, 04:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishn View Post
I am curious if anyone here has any recent experience with Ford's F650 and F750 trucks - class VI and VII, respectively.
Ford has recently announced that there will be a F600. Basically a F550 with heavier axle and tire to meet Class VI standards.

That level of an interior is not available from the factory. You have to buy a "plain Jane" model, remover the interior and have a custom shop install what you want.

It have been discussed elsewhere, but the F600-F750 and F53 motorhome chassis will all get a new gasoline V8 engine some time later this year. They still have not releases and timing for them.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:15 AM   #14

Not sure if any of the information on Earthroamers is of any value.

https://earthroamer.com/
WorldCat25 is offline   Reply With Quote