Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > MDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:24 AM   #1

Beware of Commerce, GA.

I live in commerce,ga. And drive an ex-school bus that has been converted to haul my 35' fifthwheel!
It is about like a mdt with a gvwr of 27,500 before it was cut down! It is titled as a 'motor home' and ga. Law says i do not need a special license to drive it!
Well a few moths ago i got a ticket in commerce,ga. For having the wrong license to drive it! I just have a class c and the cop said i'm suppose to have a class b!
I went to court last nite and they read the law to the court room that said since it was a rv i didn't need a class b license!!
Well the judge said i was guilty anyway for not having a class b license and gave me a fine of $42.00 which i asked him how many days in jail was that? He told me he would not give me jail time but to pay the fine! I then told him i would not pay the fine and he put me on 12 months prob.,at $40.00 extra a month until the fine was paid! I then told him i would not pay that either! And he sent me to the prob. Officer and i told her i would not pay them any thing,period!
She filled out the paper work and asked me to sign it and i refused!
They then gave up and sent me home and said if i didn't pay it they would issuse a 'bench warrent'for me and i said 'you have my address!'
now i'm getting ready to go drive my hauler all over town in hopes they will give me another ticket for the wrong license!

Point being if you ever come through commerce,ga. In a 'motor home or mdt' be careful as they have there own law down here and they don't care what the state law says!!!!!!!!!!

Fifthwheelhauler
FIFTHWHEELHAULER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2009, 04:09 PM   #2

A scene out of the 50's. You'd think those southern redneck sheriff mindsets would be ancient history by now.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:34 PM   #3

Time to get the newspapers & TV stations involved.

And a lawyer.

1993 International Genesis conversion
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:26 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Sounds right for Commerce. Been going there for the race the better part of 20 years, it's a throwback in time.

I'd get a lawyer involved. They can't make the rues up as they go.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:27 PM   #5

Some pretty big assumptions being made here since you only heard one side of this story

https://community.webshots.com/user/flagypsy57
flagypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:12 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
I doubt the judge is going to come here and present his side, and if this side is correct then I'd get a lawyer involved.

However, I've been to Commerce many, many times. I even have a parts store there that carries the parts I represent, so I can safely say that I can believe it.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #7

Update to commerce,ga.

See if you believe this!

I was driving my other bus around this morning, that has a gvwr of 25,500! And i got arrested for having the wrong license and this time they took me to jail!

Out of the three cops that stopped me not one of them checked the data plate for the gvwr! Nor did i tell them they were making a big mistake, they didn't believe me in court!

Got as far as the front door of the jail and told them i needed to go to the hosp. As my heart felt like it was racing! It is from a med.cond.that i have and va pays me disabilty for it among other things!

When we got to the hosp. And the cop opened the back door for me he told me i was no longer under arrest and that he was going to just write me tickets and i was free to go! Now i wonder why?????????

Now that is my side of the story and i swear it to be true!!

So i'll be back out there tomorrow driving my bus and waiting to see what happens next!

I go to court for this ticket on the 7th of july but i do believe i'll get it sent to to state court and have a jury trail and see what they have to say!

I'm a med. Retired truck driver with plenty of time on my hands!

I'll keep you posted!!

Fifthwheelhauler
Old 05-27-2009, 04:21 PM   #8

Fifthwheelhauler, how about posting some pictures of your "illegal" converted tow-er. I would be interested in seeing what a 13+ ton GVW tow vehicle looks like.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:05 PM   #9

Talking Beware of commerce,ga.--update!!??

Called the court clerk this morning to find out how much these last two tickets were, not that i was going to pay them either, and she told me that they had been 'dismissed'!

Then went to the 'police dept. To see about getting my $300.00 impound fee back! And they told me the 'judge' saw the 'light' and had dismissed all three tickets, even the one he found me 'guilty' for!

Reason being because the 'hauler', no matter how big was a private rv!!!??

Told me i would have to talk to the chief of police about the impound fee and he wouldn't be back until monday!

Still plan on going after them for 'false arrest-etc.'!!
Old 06-10-2009, 06:44 PM   #10

I posted a photo of my 'hauler' when we were in s.d. Last year!

It is in the mdt-hdt photo section!
Old 06-10-2009, 06:49 PM   #11

Thumbs up Cool bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by two2go View Post
Fifthwheelhauler, how about posting some pictures of your "illegal" converted tow-er. I would be interested in seeing what a 13+ ton GVW tow vehicle looks like.
IT IS IN THE PHOTO SECTION!!
Old 06-18-2009, 02:35 PM   #12
doc

Appalachian Campers
"Some pretty big assumptions being made here since you only heard one side of this story "

I agree completely. Attitude has a lot to do with the way you get treated. If they were wrong, then that is not he first time this has ever happened. But why going around inviting trouble on one's own self? I suspect there is a violation someplace that could be legitimately prosecuted. Just because there was an 'arrest' as the OP states, does not give him a pass on other violations.
I know the Chief there, John Gaissert, and he is a very professional fellow, retired Navy Commander and nice guy. The department has improved considerably since he took over.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:43 AM   #13

Thumbs up Beware of commerce,ga.-update

I have to agree some what with 'doc'!
Went and talked to the 'chief' and he was very understanding and very polite!
Said the city would refund my impound fee and he keep to his word and got the check this week!
Lession learned is that if i have a problem with the 'cops' go talk to the 'chief' and see what can be done! Maybe nothing but at least he'll know both sides of the story!:d