Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > MDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-28-2015, 07:24 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 124
C5500 Kodiak (Super C) headlight help

I searched and didn't find much on this topic which surprises me to maybe I'm not using the search tool correctly?

I'm looking to upgrade my useless headlights on my 2005 Dutchmen on c5500 Kodiak chassis. I looked at the Syvania and GE Nighthawk replacements but has anyone used anything else? Thanks in advance.

4x6 Sealed Beam to LED Headlight Conversion

Sealed Beam Headlight Conversion Kits
__________________

__________________
matthew6279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2015, 08:18 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 124
Well I figured out what wording I needed to get the results in the search box. After searching I'm going with the H4 conversion instead. Anyone recommend a good wiring/relay harness? Thanks!
__________________

__________________
matthew6279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:09 PM   #3
Community Moderator
 
Scarab0088's Avatar


 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 14,060
The H4 is just a halogen...and nothing really special. I would not be surprised if the Kodiak already had halogen sealed headlights.
I think the '05 C5500 has separate high and low beam bulbs like the smaller trucks...so you "could" just upgrade the high beams(?).

If you want BRIGHT, look for HID kits. High Intensity Discharge might be sold in kits that are not DOT approved, so buyer beware. To use these elements, you need to have the light housing with removable bulb element.

Best luck

See the ones here:
Xenon HID Kits - HID Headlight Kits | XenonHIDs.com
__________________
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:36 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Bob86ZZ4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 383
This place has the best headlight conversions : Deep Space Lighting | Quality, application-specific HID lighting

I don't know if they have a kit for your application. If you don't see anything you should contact them to ask about it. The guy that started the company, David, is a friend of mine and very very knowledgeable about this stuff. And he's always ready to try to help somebody see better.
__________________
www.bobwinsor.com
MN is home for now.
Bob86ZZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:03 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2
Sorry, I am late to the party.
Go to Rally Lights, Hella, TerraTrip, Hans, WRC, ZAMP
Contact Ray, let him know you want to upgrade your Chevy Kodiak. He will build you a custom harness with relays, and supply the Hella housings and recommend the proper bulbs. He has done this for several owners on the Kodiak Yahoo group.
One of the main issues with the Kodiak is the poor wiring, especially the ground. Just improving this without changing the bulbs will help.
I went with the whole package, after trying Silver Stars (which helped a little). Now I am not worried to drive at night. 100% improvement.
Good luck,
Bill
__________________
bowtiebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:46 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtiebill View Post
Sorry, I am late to the party.
Go to Rally Lights, Hella, TerraTrip, Hans, WRC, ZAMP
Contact Ray, let him know you want to upgrade your Chevy Kodiak. He will build you a custom harness with relays, and supply the Hella housings and recommend the proper bulbs. He has done this for several owners on the Kodiak Yahoo group.
One of the main issues with the Kodiak is the poor wiring, especially the ground. Just improving this without changing the bulbs will help.
I went with the whole package, after trying Silver Stars (which helped a little). Now I am not worried to drive at night. 100% improvement.
Good luck,
Bill
Thank you for the response. Do you know how much the wiring harness cost? I have tried the SilverStar and did not notice a difference. I also bought Autopal housings and put h4 bulbs in them with the adapter and still little to no difference. If the harness is not too expensive I'm willing to try that. Thanks so much again!
__________________
matthew6279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:36 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
ronjhall's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,110
I have replace my lights with LED. Bought all glass bulbs from Amazon. Then purchased H4 LED bulbs from Amazon. Only replaced outer headlights.
I replaced all the wiring with relays for headlights. Biggest change came with running 10 gauge ground wire from frame to each set of headlights.
Headlight alignment is very important. I used my SUV as a guide. Put SUV 25' from garage door. Used tape to mark where headlights shined on door. Then put MH in same position. Aligned low beams to the tape marks. Very happy with my headlights.
You can find many articles on Kodiak headlights over on Diesel Place Medium Duty Trucks forum.
__________________
2004 Endura 6340D SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva toad
ronjhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:30 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
I have replace my lights with LED. Bought all glass bulbs from Amazon. Then purchased H4 LED bulbs from Amazon. Only replaced outer headlights.
I replaced all the wiring with relays for headlights. Biggest change came with running 10 gauge ground wire from frame to each set of headlights.
Headlight alignment is very important. I used my SUV as a guide. Put SUV 25' from garage door. Used tape to mark where headlights shined on door. Then put MH in same position. Aligned low beams to the tape marks. Very happy with my headlights.
You can find many articles on Kodiak headlights over on Diesel Place Medium Duty Trucks forum.

With LED's would you need a wiring upgrade? Since they have such a low power draw it seems that the stock wiring would carry plenty of power for LED.
__________________
matthew6279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:10 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
ronjhall's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew6279 View Post
With LED's would you need a wiring upgrade? Since they have such a low power draw it seems that the stock wiring would carry plenty of power for LED.
I did wiring change before LED's. Not sure it would make a difference. Bright LED's still draw current. I have not changed to LED on my inner high beams. But did put Sylvainia Silver Stars that draw more current than stock.
When adding relays the low voltage of DRL is lost. Not a problem with LED's but may be a problem with Halogen. Did not take long for my high/low beam Silver Stars to burn out on DRL.
__________________
2004 Endura 6340D SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva toad
ronjhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:18 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew6279 View Post
Thank you for the response. Do you know how much the wiring harness cost? I have tried the SilverStar and did not notice a difference. I also bought Autopal housings and put h4 bulbs in them with the adapter and still little to no difference. If the harness is not too expensive I'm willing to try that. Thanks so much again!
The harness with the relays, 4 new Hella housings, and bulbs, was around 400 bucks if I remember correctly.
Not cheap, but made a BIG improvement.

Good luck,
Bill
__________________
bowtiebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:54 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 124
I will look in to the wiring harness, maybe the LED at some point. I do already have Autopal housings and I bought bulbs, don't remember which h4 bulbs I got though. I am just going to change the low beam for now. I can worry about the high later on.
__________________
matthew6279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:24 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
ronjhall's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew6279 View Post
I will look in to the wiring harness, maybe the LED at some point. I do already have Autopal housings and I bought bulbs, don't remember which h4 bulbs I got though. I am just going to change the low beam for now. I can worry about the high later on.
Outer headlights are both high and low beam. When high beam is on all 4 headlight are on. That's why there are few complaints about high beams.
__________________
2004 Endura 6340D SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva toad
ronjhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:47 PM   #13
Member
 
ElCaminoManT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 39
bumping a really old thread i know but hopefully to give info to other folks with the classic crappy 4x6 sealed beam lights found in the kodiaks and other rigs.

i had heard the kodiak rigs suffered from poor lighting but it wasn't until we bought ours and drove it at night that i finally understood what people were talking about. my word, its like there is only candles inside those housings or something. first upgrade was to change out the housings for the Hella H4 conversions. this was a noticeable improvement but still not great. after this i ended up with a set of H4 LED units from M4LED and cut off the factory headlight plugs and wired in H4 plugs to get rid of the adapter harness. i still need to do some adjustments to the lights but all i can say is WOW!! for a total of about $180, its a HUGE difference! I'm pretty sure that the only thing better now would be doing the Tahoe headlight housing conversion but I'm not interested in that due to the body work involved so it'll stay quad light setup.
__________________
John
-2008 Thor Four Winds 34G Super C
(Chevy C5500 Kodiak LMM Duramax / Allison6)
ElCaminoManT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:39 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
ronjhall's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCaminoManT View Post
bumping a really old thread i know but hopefully to give info to other folks with the classic crappy 4x6 sealed beam lights found in the kodiaks and other rigs.

i had heard the kodiak rigs suffered from poor lighting but it wasn't until we bought ours and drove it at night that i finally understood what people were talking about. my word, its like there is only candles inside those housings or something. first upgrade was to change out the housings for the Hella H4 conversions. this was a noticeable improvement but still not great. after this i ended up with a set of H4 LED units from M4LED and cut off the factory headlight plugs and wired in H4 plugs to get rid of the adapter harness. i still need to do some adjustments to the lights but all i can say is WOW!! for a total of about $180, its a HUGE difference! I'm pretty sure that the only thing better now would be doing the Tahoe headlight housing conversion but I'm not interested in that due to the body work involved so it'll stay quad light setup.
Good report.
__________________

__________________
2004 Endura 6340D SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva toad
ronjhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
light



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
One headlight or all headlights??? Just For Fun RV Systems & Appliances 27 12-27-2015 08:20 PM
Four Winds Super C OakHillFarm Class C Motorhome Discussions 13 02-11-2015 07:46 AM
Four Winds Super C OakHillFarm Thor Industries Owner's Forum 2 01-19-2015 03:13 PM
Rear Brakes 2008 Chev C5500 Kodiak Class C heidorn39 Class C Motorhome Discussions 6 04-12-2014 10:38 PM
Class C Diesel Motorhomes, New 35SK Super C RV Unveiled by Thor Motor Coach DriVer RV Industry Press 1 09-05-2013 01:20 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.