Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > MDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:50 PM   #1

Cab noise

Anyone else with a International Durastar chassis have a lot of wind noise in the cab? I've tried everything to no avail. Only thing left I dislike about my rig.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2019, 08:37 AM   #2

We have the same camper and I don't think we have an unreasonable amount of wind noise in ours. You can close the front doors on a dollar bill and see how hard it is to slide out between the rubber seal gasket. You should have constant pressure around the perimeter of the door frame. If it is supper easy to slide, door gasket might not be doing it's job fully.

You can add some cheap foam stick on window molding to test theory and see if you get an improvement. On past vehicles, I have slid in some small rubber vacuum line inside of OEM door gasket to give it more substance.

Maybe it's time to adjust door, is it still closing flush?
Old 04-24-2019, 02:53 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Where is the wind noise coming from? Around the doors, mirrors, connection from cab to house?
Old 04-24-2019, 07:02 PM   #4

The wind noise seems to come from the top front of the door. Not sure if it is leakage between the door and frame or if it is turbulance around the mirrors or mirrow brackets.

Here's what I have tried:

1. Had 2 International dealers adjust doors. Paper is firmly gripped between the seams. No change.
2. Added extra mouldings - no change.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180625_085248_resized.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	243450
2. Taped all seams, on the outside using painters tape, on doors and windows - no change.
3. Pulled mirror back flush with door - no change
4. Added wind deflectors - no change Click image for larger version

Name:	20181017_100142_resized.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	243451
5. Thinking that at high speed (55mph) the tops of the doors where being pulled out by pressure on the mirros, installed eye bolts at top front of doors and tighten up a turnbuckle cable - no change.
6. Pulled mirror back - no change.
7. Thinking that it was caused by ari turbulance around mirrow bracket, taped up bracket to close up any bolt holes - no change.

Next test is to caulk the inside between door and frame.

At my wits end. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Resorted to weaing headset but gets quickly uncomfortable.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 04-24-2019, 07:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPKEVIN View Post
We have the same camper and I don't think we have an unreasonable amount of wind noise in ours. You can close the front doors on a dollar bill and see how hard it is to slide out between the rubber seal gasket. You should have constant pressure around the perimeter of the door frame. If it is supper easy to slide, door gasket might not be doing it's job fully.

You can add some cheap foam stick on window molding to test theory and see if you get an improvement. On past vehicles, I have slid in some small rubber vacuum line inside of OEM door gasket to give it more substance.

Maybe it's time to adjust door, is it still closing flush?
Kevin,

Looks like you have the new MV chassis. This has the the single point mirror mount which might be my problem.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 04-25-2019, 06:51 AM   #6

Mine is a 19' but I believe it is built on the 18' chassis. You mirrors look identical, but I don't have that filler neck coming out of that door step. Mine are behind the step in doors in the Nexus body. Looks like you have tried everything with the doors and mirrors.

I wonder if your noise is associated with the cab light seal just above the front door? Can you tape, or cover that area up to see if you notice a change?

Do you have a bug deflector on hood changing air flow around windshield, door, or the overhead bunk area?
Old 04-25-2019, 08:36 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCat25 View Post
Kevin,

Looks like you have the new MV chassis. This has the the single point mirror mount which might be my problem.

Thanks,

Chris
This is a comprehensive list of remedies you have attempted. I was going to suggest duct tape on the seams but I see you already did them with painters tape.

Bug deflector might change the air flow over the cab as already suggested.

Any chance of the CB antenna and wiring connection causing the issue?

When does the wind noise start? Any particular speed or just starts and increases with speed? Does wind direction make a difference?

Good looking truck. Like the colors.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPKEVIN View Post
Mine is a 19' but I believe it is built on the 18' chassis. You mirrors look identical, but I don't have that filler neck coming out of that door step. Mine are behind the step in doors in the Nexus body. Looks like you have tried everything with the doors and mirrors.

I wonder if your noise is associated with the cab light seal just above the front door? Can you tape, or cover that area up to see if you notice a change?

Do you have a bug deflector on hood changing air flow around windshield, door, or the overhead bunk area?
My chassis was the 1st one with the new 360 Cummins and International screwed up with the location of the DEF tank. Other than the ugly blue cap being exposured I'm not too dispaoointed as it gave me a nice compartment in which to tap into the air tank for an air horn and an air jack to plug in a hose.

I will try your suggestion for taping over the light.

A bug deflector is another good ideal.

Thanks,
Old 04-25-2019, 05:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
This is a comprehensive list of remedies you have attempted. I was going to suggest duct tape on the seams but I see you already did them with painters tape.

Bug deflector might change the air flow over the cab as already suggested.

Any chance of the CB antenna and wiring connection causing the issue?

When does the wind noise start? Any particular speed or just starts and increases with speed? Does wind direction make a difference?

Good looking truck. Like the colors.
I'll try the bug deflector. The wind noise starts at about 45 and at 65 is incredibly loud. Took CB antenna off but didn't think that was a problem since we have had the noise from the instant we left the Nexus factory and got turnpike on heading east . Nexas has also tried some stuff and there are other owners that I know about also have the same problem. I've probably explored more options. I used to drive trucks in the 70s and 80s and never had this much noise in those old trucks.

Very frustrating indeed.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 04-26-2019, 07:04 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Get a db app for your smart-phone to listen for where the noise is originating.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:41 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Cab noise

How loud is it really? Download a dB app and let’s see some numbers.

I will add, ( it same rig but) our Dutch Star can be quiet at a mouse or roar dependant on wind, speed and direction. With over-the-cab bunk it has to make some noise.

Hope you figure it out!!
Old 04-26-2019, 07:59 AM   #12

I checked mine last year but don't remember what it was. I do have an email from another Ghost owner who said "I checked the sound level with my meter and it is 92dB. Hearing damage can occur above 85dB". I recall mine be slightly lower using an app. He also said adding the wind deflectors reduced this about 4dba.

You can see why I am wearing headphones. They're not noise canceling so I still hear a lot of noise but can hear traffic also.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:24 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCat25 View Post
I'll try the bug deflector. The wind noise starts at about 45 and at 65 is incredibly loud. Took CB antenna off but didn't think that was a problem since we have had the noise from the instant we left the Nexus factory and got turnpike on heading east . Nexas has also tried some stuff and there are other owners that I know about also have the same problem. I've probably explored more options. I used to drive trucks in the 70s and 80s and never had this much noise in those old trucks.

Very frustrating indeed.

Thanks,

Chris
Can understand your frustration with finding and fixing the source of the noise. I would be as well. I do applaud your tenacity with solutions and hope the final fix comes soon.

It obviously has to be something and since you have eliminated most of the possibilities you have to be close to the final solution.

Since you have worked on most areas of the cab I would start to think it could possibly be between the cab and the overhead bunk.

I am amazed at how much noise can be generated by a very small object. The weep holes on our coach were like that. Fortunately it was easy to locate and fix.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:26 PM   #14

Installed the bug deflector - no improvement. Looks OK so will leave it in hopes it helps reduce stone damage on our Alaska trip.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190531_140830_resized.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	452.9 KB
ID:	248014

Tags
noise