Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > MDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:41 PM   #1

Dumb question. A/C use and mileage

We have been debating this on.

I run a cat 3126b in a FL60. Does running the air con reduce diesel mileage like it does on cars ?

Inquiring minds want to know

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2016, 06:51 PM   #2

We run 2 cats in our Fiesta and I have never worried about the AC affecting mileage in 15 years and 102,000 miles. I would rather be comfortable.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:02 PM   #3

Not an issue...we blast it as well..for us and our dogs..

It is more of a "wonder if" question
Old 08-15-2016, 07:13 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It has to reduce mpg. you are running a compressor off the engine. How much difference in mpg ? You will have to keep mpg records to find that answer.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:35 PM   #5

You would think...but.. the old saw says that you can pile a lot of weight on a diesel without a change of mileage..

Realistically, I would actually try this out but when you have a 100 gal tank..actually, I have 2...and they are self leveling...it is impossible to fill up to the same spot as you would in a pick up or car. I have had trouble enough trying to figure out what I am getting when we drive it..

Realistically, I would say yes.. but with all the talk about diesels and how they ignore load and keep the same mileage ..it really becomes campfire talk..

So is a compressor running a different load than weight ?
Old 08-15-2016, 08:20 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
My 7.5 burns about .7 gal per hour running both ACs
Old 08-15-2016, 08:27 PM   #7

I think I've read that with cars and modern AC, you get worse gas mileage running with the windows open than running the AC.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:39 PM   #8

I find that I get better mileage with the air on, cause when it's not and the windows are down, I tend to drive much faster for airflow.LOL!
Old 09-20-2016, 07:05 AM   #9

You have to look at the science of it.

First is the load itself, a large A/C compressor might be as high as 5hp, more likely 3hp.

Second, even though the A/C is running full-time the compressor cycles on & off as needed.

Finally, IMHO the load of the A/C compressor compared to the overall power demand required to push a huge box down the road at highway speed. Stick your hand out the window at highway speed, feel the resistance, then image that 4" X 6" hand multiplied up to 8' wide by 10' high. That's better than 2 sheets of plywood, even with slanted hoods, etc, that's still a brick relatively speaking.