Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > MDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #1

Freightliner Sport Chassis vs 4100 International

Looking for input from owners on either the Sport Chassis or 4100 International.

What are you happy about when it comes to the truck?

Is fit & finish up to par?

What do you pull with it?

How is it for stopping power?

What motor did you go with?

Thanks
Mike
The House is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #2

I have a 2008 Freightliner with the 330 Hp Cummings. There is plenty of power and average an honest 10 mpg. I am very happy with the way it rides and handles. As far as fit and finish it is very well done. I am towing a 34' 5th wheel weighing in at 9000 lbs on the rear and a pin weight of 2400 lbs. Once i did not notice the trailer plug had come out of couse this was also coming down a 9% grade the truck stopped the trailer without a problem which would not have happened with my 1 ton pickup. I live in the Langley area so if you would like to take a look let me know.
Chief9-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #3

Where did you buy your Freightliner? Here locally or in the States?

Do you travel the Coquihalla often? I call it the highway of hills.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:33 PM   #4

I bought it in Phonenix Arizona at the Sport Chassis dealer it was used but only had 13000 miles on it.

I travel the Coquihalla to Calgary at least 2 times per year. Going up the snow shed the truck is in 4th and does about 50 MPH I can go faster but am in no rush. Going down the transmission brake will hold it at what ever speed you want.

I did consider the 400 hp but did not think it was worth the money or fuel economy for the extra power on the hills. The unit also has hydralic brakes which was a choice as my wife would not have to get an air endorsement if she ever had to drive it.

We spent a month in Alaska and the Yukon this year and was very happy with the way it preformed. I never thought it lacked power.

My wife loves the heated air ride seats and the view she has from the cab.

Importing it was a breeze and am happy to help you in that area or anything else you need.
Chief9-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #5

Thanks for all the info I really appreciate it.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't know if anyone is still following this, but i too am looking at getting a Freightliner. Not to sure if i will go with Sport Chassis, Chariotrv or other manufacturer. I may get a base modle and get it mod-ed it myself.

So I know that the M2 106 (base chasis) is a pretty good truck for towing and braking and all that, I'm not to woried about fuel either. I would like to hear from other owners how thing like maintenace (i am my own mechanic, but work on ships mostly), handling (backing into smallish provincial park sites), what is their life expectacny milage wise, and licencing (know that i dont nessesarly have to have a comercial licence).
Old 02-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #7

I have a 2000 Freightliner Sportchassis that I bought new. I tow a Kountry Aire that ways approx. 23,000 pounds. I love this truck. I have done all the general maintainence on it and have had no issues with it.

They are not much longer then a crew cab dually pickup. So they manuever easily. I've never had an issue because of the truck being too large to get into a spot. It's usually the 40' trailer that's the problem. It's easy to drive and is very comfortable.

Here in MA it's registered as a pickup and with the air over hydrolic breaks, I do not have to have any special license to drive it.

I don't know what the expected mileage life is, but I've read that the CAT engines seem to do better. I have a 300hp CAT in mine and it runs great. Other then the general maintaince, I've only had to replace the exhaust break. After 10 years it siezed up, so I just bolted on a new one.

In my opinion, it's really the only way to go, other then a HDT. I have no complaints.

Good luck,
Shaun

2000 Freightliner Sportchassis - 300 CAT, 6 speed Alison
Shaun and Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the imput. I'm not quite ready to buy one yet as retirement and fulltiming on the road are a few years of yet, just getting ahead start on my research. I'm lookig forward to getting a MDT one day, in the meentime my curent rig is working out just fine.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
I have a 07 M-2 with a 250 hp Mercedes. The lower hp only effects me when I start on a long hill. But, it's about the same as my 06 Ford duly w/6 liter engine. In fact I think it goes up hill better. The main thing is not how fast, or how much you can carry, it's how good it is at stoping. I almost hit a car two years ago because I couldn't stop fast enough doing 45mph. The Ford just doesn't have enough weight to hold it on the ground. Also the Ford scared the hell out of me going down long steep hills. I don't think a Diesel should be turning 4k. Now for the gas part. My Ford got 16mpg loose and 8 towing a 18k trailer. The M2 get's 16 loose and we get between 10 or 11 mpg towing. On the freeway we never go more than 62 or 65mph.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #10

2000 FL Sportchassis

Shawn,

This is my first post - I usually just read all the info that's on this site.

I just bought the identical truck to yours here in Indiana. My kids love High School Rodeo and I was tired of people cutting me off while hauling my gooseneck horsetrailer / camper (38 ft) traveling all over the regional area to let the kids run their horses.

Anyway, I have the Cat 3126 300 hp / 860 torque. I was hauling this past weekend in 90 degree heat and the cooling fan would occasionally kick in on the interstate. The temp gage was at 200F the whole time. My trailer is at 12,000 lb loaded - I was at 68 to 70 mph on the interstate with a 15 mph headwind. Does your Cat run this hot in similar conditions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun and Amy View Post
I have a 2000 Freightliner Sportchassis that I bought new. I tow a Kountry Aire that ways approx. 23,000 pounds. I love this truck. I have done all the general maintainence on it and have had no issues with it.

They are not much longer then a crew cab dually pickup. So they manuever easily. I've never had an issue because of the truck being too large to get into a spot. It's usually the 40' trailer that's the problem. It's easy to drive and is very comfortable.

Here in MA it's registered as a pickup and with the air over hydrolic breaks, I do not have to have any special license to drive it.

I don't know what the expected mileage life is, but I've read that the CAT engines seem to do better. I have a 300hp CAT in mine and it runs great. Other then the general maintaince, I've only had to replace the exhaust break. After 10 years it siezed up, so I just bolted on a new one.

In my opinion, it's really the only way to go, other then a HDT. I have no complaints.

Good luck,
Shaun
Rodeo Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo Driver View Post
Shawn,

This is my first post - I usually just read all the info that's on this site.

I just bought the identical truck to yours here in Indiana. My kids love High School Rodeo and I was tired of people cutting me off while hauling my gooseneck horsetrailer / camper (38 ft) traveling all over the regional area to let the kids run their horses.

Anyway, I have the Cat 3126 300 hp / 860 torque. I was hauling this past weekend in 90 degree heat and the cooling fan would occasionally kick in on the interstate. The temp gage was at 200F the whole time. My trailer is at 12,000 lb loaded - I was at 68 to 70 mph on the interstate with a 15 mph headwind. Does your Cat run this hot in similar conditions?
Hey there,

Sorry it took so long to reply. Been very busy here. So, mine does not run that hot. I've been climbing hills in 90+ degree weather and it still runs cooler then that. The fan kicks on at 200 degrees and brings the temp back down to around 195. So, it never stays and runs at 200 degrees.

Shaun

2000 Freightliner Sportchassis - 300 CAT, 6 speed Alison
Shaun and Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:58 AM   #12

I know this is an old post but for Canadians, you cannot import a sport chassis or any modded class 5 to 8 truck into Canada. You have to find one up here or have it converted for you...

I have run into several Canadians trying to dump them because of this...
grassy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, freightliner