Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > MDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:04 AM   #1

Freightliner Toy Hauler

I am converting an old Freightliner FL70 into a crewcab toy hauler and I’m trying to decide on a wheelbase.
Was hoping to find a few Crewcab owners here that could assist me with some wheelbase measurements.
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2015, 08:44 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Subscribed...are you talking 5er toy hauler tractor or Super C style toy hauler motorhome?

If the later, I was thinking of doing this exact build with a FL70 Box truck until we found our Outlaw.

For a motorhome, I would offer that the wheelbase would be around the standard 242" range used by many motorized toyhaulers (see our Outlaw, pictured below is 242"). They keep the wheelbase short(er) and drop the frame about a foot, right behind the rear axle for the garage floor to be lower to aid in loading and unloading with a ramp vs. a Tommylift.

The standard flatfloor box is fine too, as long as you are planning to use a Tommylift because a ramp gets real steep if you don't drop the rear frame.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:02 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the thought is for a 5er hauler, this one is listed at 186" wheelbase:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-10-09_225354_IMG_0297s.jpeg
Views:	1368
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	91778

See: http://www.justanswer.com/heavy-equi...ended-cab.html

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 04-18-2015, 01:29 AM   #4

I am building something similar to the second picture. I have looked for wheelbase info on-line and the lengths seem to vary. I was hoping to find a few owners on here that I could compare notes with.

The truck has a 235” wheel base now and I was thinking about cutting it down to a 200” wheelbase. The theory, as I have heard is the longer wheel base gives a better ride but I am also swapping it over to air ride suspension so the point might be mute.

Any suggestions for an active Medium Duty truck forum where owners get into modifications and fabrication of the truck itself or drive-train stuff?
Old 04-18-2015, 11:08 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry, I am not aware of any other Forums.

Heavy duty trucks used for RVing are rare, so your needs and experience will probably be specific to you.
Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 04-18-2015, 11:32 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Our 450 has a 200" wheelbase. Works quite well because the 2005 was reengineered with a larger wheel cut. Takes a bit of back and forth once in a while to get into a spot but it can be done.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:08 PM   #7

Here is another forum that may be of some assistance: Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community - Powered by vBulletin
Old 04-18-2015, 09:17 PM   #8

I looked at that one but it seems more geared towards building living quarters on the back of trucks. Really kinda cool but way beyond my skills.

Tags
freightliner