Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > MDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:04 PM   #1

Well we did it...we did the research and said let's do it.

We just placed a deposit with 2L Custom Trucks in Poolville, TX to cutom build a new hauler with a garage unit behind the crw cab to store our motorcycles while towing the 5'er.

After several months of discussing and researching we fly down to Texas to meet with Wayland Long and his team. All we can say is WOW!

This guy does it right. Straight up guy, no BS, tells you like it is, not what you want to hear.

The great thing is that your dealing with the owner/ builder, not a dealer who just wants to sell a package. On top of that his deal was fair with items that were standard where you would have to pay extra from other manufacturer's.

The final convincing blow was when we opened up a fully customized rig and could not believe the detail. Then Wayland throws us the keys and said let me know how she feels...see you in a bit.

Wayland certainly made us part of the team during our visit....

We will keep y'all updated as the project takes shape....

If all goes well we will be picking up our new baby in February!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2008, 05:50 AM   #2

Exciting. We have 2005 335 peterbilt and love it. Happy motoring.(er i mean trucking!)

Old 01-10-2009, 12:23 PM   #3

Yeah baby...the fun begins....the truck is in at the 2L shop.....from the satelite survellance videos I can see Wayland and his crew tearing down and getting ready to rebuild her into the beauty she will be....

check it out at my new website:

Triple B's Bigboomer

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeookfa/
Old 01-14-2009, 10:54 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
I was just looking at the pictures. . .how long is that wheelbase???

That puppy wont be much fun manuvering in campgrounds

2005 Forrest River Charleston 400TS DP
D and J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:15 PM   #5

the actual wheelbase is 254". I have listed the full specs on my website. It will certainly be a challenge, but like anything else we do it will take a little more planning and at times a little creative parking techniques!
Old 03-14-2009, 11:11 AM   #6

Exclamation

Well people, Wayland and his Lonestar crew have been quite busy the past few weeks engineering and framing the garage box and setting the loader in the box including modifying the loader so it works with out having to loose valuable space belwo the garage (ahhhh can you say more tool boxes???? )

You can check out all the new pics at our website

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeookfa/
Old 03-19-2009, 02:22 PM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Looked at your pictures... that's an awesome truck, something like that would do a great job towing my HH Champagne.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #8

Thanks Richard.

We spent a lot of time and effort in the thought process and we hope it shows in the end product.....

Stay Tuned!
Old 03-28-2009, 09:37 AM   #9

Getting there.....

Well folks Wayland and his crew have started to skin the hauler body and will be skinning the garage and ground effects and tool boxes this week....

We have posted new pics on our website.....
Old 04-18-2009, 10:48 AM   #10

Well folks we have uploaded to our website http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeookfa/ the first glimses of the truck as Wayland and his crew have been grinding, prepping and blasting for paint and the first shots of the some of the components coming out of paint.....I think 2L just created a shortage of paint in the country with all the layers of the paint they used.....Maybe we should have him paint all those armored personnel carriers going over to our troops because with the amount of paint on our truck we are practically bullet proof!
Old 04-30-2009, 09:06 PM   #11

We are in the 11th hour

We are getting closer....our builder 2L is putting the finishing touches on our baby....we have posted new picks to out website.....
Old 05-15-2009, 08:06 PM   #12

Our new baby is home!

We have picked up our new truck and broke her in with a nice 1600 mile trip from Ft. Worth....

She is everything we though she would be and more......

Now we are itching to get her hooked up and out on the road to do some camping.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2500.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	445
Old 05-15-2009, 08:18 PM   #13
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Awesome, would look great hooked to my Champagne!
I'm jealous, can you tell?
Old 06-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to KU9L
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboomer View Post
We have picked up our new truck and broke her in with a nice 1600 mile trip from Ft. Worth....

She is everything we though she would be and more......

Now we are itching to get her hooked up and out on the road to do some camping.

Attachment 445
Okay, we have a 15-week old Beagle named Stella ... now just have to get the 2L 4400. We currently have a 15K 5er and and trying to decide what the limit of towing is going to be for an MDT. Our next 5er will be in the 17.5K - 18.75K max GVWR. We always travel without liquids in our tanks and spend less than 2% of our travels on steep mountain passes. However, after traversing 11,312' Monarch Pass this spring it became very apparent that my desire to have a 4400 wasn't just a fantasy ... when your coach is twice the weight of your LDT it makes you very aware of your surroundings.

Fortunately, my truck & 5er are in good repair, but I missed having a good jake brake (PacBrake not available on a 2008 Chevy Duramax). The traditional 2L 4400's are 19,200 GVWR compared to my 12,000 GVWR Chevy (8500 loaded for travel), so perhaps my heaviest option of a 18.75K GVWR 5er is not a bad match if I don't mind slowing to 35-40 MPH on the steeper up-grades (am much slower with our Chevy anyway).

Stella the Beagle pup enjoys traveling, but she is tired of our single cab and can't wait for the crew cab!!!

Dave

'93 Fleetwood Oak Park w/12'x34' lanai @ Pioneer Village in N. Ft Myers, FL
KU9L is offline   Reply With Quote