Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > MDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:53 PM   #1

New Horizons Owners Club
The low-end tires that came with my truck were completely shot after only 24,000 miles. I bought two steering tires yesterday, Michelin XZE's, load range G (14-ply). I knew 19.5" tires were going to be more expensive than the 16's I was accustomed to buying, but I still had a case of sticker shock.

I guess I am now better prepared, mentally, for when I have to do the duals.

jperry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2008, 05:53 PM   #2

New Horizons Owners Club
The low-end tires that came with my truck were completely shot after only 24,000 miles. I bought two steering tires yesterday, Michelin XZE's, load range G (14-ply). I knew 19.5" tires were going to be more expensive than the 16's I was accustomed to buying, but I still had a case of sticker shock.

I guess I am now better prepared, mentally, for when I have to do the duals.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:13 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Jerry I get more use from the fronts on my F350 then you got. (I run XPS Ribs on the fronts)

The 19.5's should give you a LOT more miles life than you got...... The OEM's must have been junk.....
Old 02-17-2008, 07:41 PM   #4

New Horizons Owners Club
Those XPS Ribs are good tires. That is what I am putting on the trailer as my current ones reach their end of life.

I hope the XZE's prove to be as good as the XPS's.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:59 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I have had good luck with the XPS's. The OEM tires on "Lil Red" did not last long like yours did. I put a set of XPS's on the front. They did GOOD. No cupping or the like and lasted.... Then I tried to go to another brand that cost a bit less. BAD MOVE! They cupped badly and went south fairly soon too. (Less than 30K)

I learned my lesson! I went back to the XPS's even though they were pricey.

Now you will laugh at what I found "Lil Red" likes on the rear axle..... Put a set of Mastercraft Courrier C\T-G's (E load range) on Lil Red when the factory junk went away. (Less than 35K) Got a little over 80K out of them! They are a M&S tire. (So I don't not get stuck on wet grass) Needless to say I put another set on when the first set FINALLY got to the wear bars.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:07 AM   #6

New Horizons Owners Club
Good to know about the MasterCrafts.

I went to their website but unfortunately they do not offer a 19.5" tire. They had light truck tires up to 18" and they had commercial truck tires starting at 22.5" but nothing in-between.