Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > MDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-04-2016, 04:01 PM   #1

Non-Commercial RV Toter Insurance???

Hi All, I finally finished my "spring/summer/fall project" (pic attached) and am now looking for decent RV insurance for a decent price. (definitely NOT Progressive/Repressive)

It's a 1997 International 4700 Low Profile, GVWR 18000 lbs., Hydraulic Brakes, 2 axle, Western Hauler style with a lot of the "western taken out". It also has propane injection that qualifies it as an alternative fuel vehicle in many states.

I am only running it non-commercial, not for hire, just towing a two axle 5th wheel medium size toy hauler when I find one. My combination weight will be under 26k lbs.

Does this site have any co-op deals with insurers for RV insurance? I'm located in Nevada.

IF ANYONE KNOWS OF GOOD RV INSURANCE AT A GOOD RATE FOR SOMEONE WITH ZERO POINTS, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

THANKS!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161104_132828.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	377.7 KB
ID:	143528  
97 Intl 4700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2016, 01:50 AM   #2

We use ExplorerRV.com insurance for our toter.
12 Tires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 06:40 PM   #3

It sounds like even though you are using it for non commercial stuff..pulling your RV..but that it is still considered a commercial vehicle.

My I bought my class 5 freightliner..even though it was built specifically as a RV hauler.. it was still considered a commercial vehicle.

I re registered it as a camper and I just insure it through my home insurance.

Edit..

By doing that, you can also avoid the scales, pay lower toles, and have lower registration and insurance costs..
Old 11-19-2016, 08:56 AM   #4

We found that Miller Insurance Agency in Oregon was the best choice for us. Marlene knows her way around the system and we ended up paying less than we had with our Dodge dually and coach! They are an independent agent with access to a number of companies.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:00 AM   #5

National Interstate Ins.

VIA any one of several broker/agents

Explorer RV
Miller Ins.
Etc.

National Interstate Insurance - RVAgentSearch
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:33 AM   #6

97 Int. I just registered my 1998 Int. as a none commercial truck by lowering the weight rating that the truck will be carrying. Then went to progressive ins, and insured it on a commercial policy for none commercial use and the $$ were just a little bit higher that what my dodge dually was. Hope this will help.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:56 AM   #7

Toter Non-Commercial Insurance...

Thanks all for the help. I ended-up going with Good Sam's Insurance agency, which put me with National General and my one-year policy is $456.00, including my 32 ft. Toy Hauler. They were also licensed in 50 states and were able to write an umbrella policy for a property I have in California and give me a multi-car policy for cars I have in Nevada. It was a pleasure to work with an agency that could put everything together in one place. Saved me a good chunk of money and is very convenient. Haven't had a claim yet, so, hopefully, I won't have to see how that side of the company runs. Keep the Shiny Side Up!
97 Intl 4700 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance