Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:23 PM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Does the Essex or LA have a roll-over rating? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I doubt it. But does a conversion have Comfort Drive? The next generation of steering is in Newmar's MADP, EXDP and LADP, which vastly improves safety in all driving conditions including front tire blow out. I would rather prevent the roll over than over build for it. If you roll it may be all over anyway regardless of roll rating.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2007, 03:38 AM   #16
Administrator Emeritus

Stevie, when I was looking to come out of the K2 chassis Essex,I did in fact look at the Marathon, only to learn several things...
First,even though the Marathon has a much bigger price tag it DOESN'T have many things that a high end Newmar coach in fact does.
An Essex/London Aire has Comfort Drive and a 600 horsepower engine and even a Smartwheel among other things...Essex is priced in the mid 500's and the LADP is around 900K.

The Marathon is on a Prevost,but that Prevost has a Series 60 Detroit with a 515HP engine, although it does make 1650 FP of torque.
No Comfort Drive....no Smartwheel and believe it or not,LESS storage in the underbelly...

AND....A LOT more money...

I did make the decision to stay with Newmar.....Newmar has been GREAT to me as I've dealt with the SPARTAN chassis issue...

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 07:10 AM   #17

Mid Atlantic Campers
Bobby, like I said, I wish you the best with your new coach, she is beautiful.

I do not wish to debate the merits of one or the other. I've learned that sharing ones thoughts is a taboo in certain circles, what a shame.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 07:28 AM   #18

Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> So.... don't be so fast to judge the quality or weigh it by issues. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LMAO, How would anyone ever make an informed decission, without weighing issues regarding such data ? I would believe that the price differance between these 2 coach builders resides in their chassis and body construction, I know for a fact the Prevost is a muti million mile design. And it is built to take the rigors of the road. No doubt that once you build a house on either one, problems will arise, but the chassis and drive lines should not be affected, and remain bullet proof. I don't think the jury is in on how many miles the Spartan chassis can or will survive. Again IMHO.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:33 AM   #19

There is no similarity between any of the chassis and a proven Prevost.

Newell is in the eye of the beholder and not for everyone.

Newmar is nice. No matter how you look at it there are limitations for the Spartan chassis of which I have great respect.

Until you have operated each and everyone, you will never know.

There is no reason to jump immediately to the top of the pile but if you have not been there how can you judge.

In most cases the cost and brand decision is based on a specific ego. This of course is weighed along with the approval of the trophy wife.
You cannot fairly compare any of the high end over half a million dollar coaches. The individuals who are spending the money know what they want and no one is going to tell them different. Research and experience change a persons perspective as to the final decision.
I personally feel that all the converters are overpriced yet there is always a way to make the purchase work.
Only time will tell what the next level of knowledge will bring and along with it a new style of coach.

Got to go, I have an appointment to look at Marathon Coach #1080 this evening. Last month I took a peak at #1075 in Las Vegas, this was an H-3 with three slides, this was nice. 2+M.

My choice is for simplicity, Country Coach XL and for the top of the line and with friendly support the Marathon H-3 with all the do dads and a high amount of complexity.

Presently there is a Prevost rally going on at Disney World where I have been for the past few months. With 150 coach's there are almost a couple dozen on display. All the major converters are represented.
MMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:25 PM   #20
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There is no similarity between any of the chassis and a proven Prevost. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Having been off and on the road for the past few months I just came back to this topic,saw this response and felt I had to weigh in...

First of all....some background on me...
As most of you know, I recently purchased an '07 Newmar London Aire Diesel Bus at the Tampa Show....What many of you may not know is that I spent a long time at the Marathon display looking at several coaches, both an XL and an H3. A good friend and neighbor of mine is on his second H3 and he is even a past president of the Marathon Owner's Club,so I'm all up on the "spirited discussions" which we can have on this topic...After looking at all the options and what each coach would mean to me, I felt the London Aire was the best coach for the money...
The Marathon comes with a Series 60 Detroit Engine which produces 515HP and is rated for 1650 Fp of torque at 1200RPM.

The London Aire comes with a Cummins ISX which produces 600HP and is rated for 1850 FP of torque at that same 1200RPM.

Those that would argue the London Aire is a production coach versus the "custom build" nature of a conversion simply are not familiar with Newmar,as I had been working with Marty Lown of Coachlight RV with regard to making several changes with regard to the floorplan of a London Aire to suit me, when I came across the coach I actually purchased.
Newmar will allow their high end customers,(and even to a degree the lower end as well)some levity in not only floorplan changes,but I even know of an Essex owner that has tile from one color,carpet from another,cabinets from yet another and some "special" add ons that weren't even listed...

Don't get me wrong, the Marathon is wonderful coach...

Also....I was comparing "apples to apples" when I compared NEW coaches to NEW coaches, but in the last part of your post you speak of looking at preowned Marathons....Just a clarification.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:18 PM   #21

Hi, Bob,
The reason I am not sitting in a Prevost is the same reasoning as yours plus, I will not intentionally purchase a Detroit Diesel. That is my prerogative and the main reason. That is a shame since it is a FORD and I like FORDS.
All of the high end manufactures will take you under their wing and do what ever you can imagine is required for your comfort. That is what will make you feel warm and fuzzy and help sell their product.
You choose Newmar, I chose Country Coach.
Both of the coaches I mentioned are NEW and never owned. Both of the Marathons are of the latest manufacture, that is why I like to always post a coach number so we all can research the details.
I have never purchased a pre-owned recreational vehicle or anything else for that matter.
I will never get into a pixxing contest over brands and intentions. Those things are personal and must be respected. That is what makes the world go around.
I have been doing this RV thing for along time now and that along with owning and operating big trucks and big boats has given me a well rounded idea of what I want. That does not always mean I am correct.
For the heck of it: I like Cummins in a 40' and under RV and in a Tractor Trailer combination. It all depends on what you want to do with it and expect the outcome to be. The ISX is a wonderful engine and has great features and some quirks as allot of Cummins in the past have had. In a commercial application I would not think twice about specking this power.
I previously said I would not intentionally purchase a Detroit and I mean it. One reason is they always, eventually stink and that does not work in a boat or a bus. I got burnt too many times working on Detroit's in a Hatteras and I do not like those either.
My choice for the big blocks is CAT. Wonderful support and never a problem with getting out of bed to get the bal rolling. CAT is gearing up for over the top RV support. They always are there for you when needed you just have to know how to talk with them and most did not speak RV. Had to laugh the first time I walked into a boutique CAT dealership with a broken Peterbilt. Spent the time in the waiting room playing with all the CAT replica toys.
I look forward to running into you one day and we can discuss the events of the world along with GENTALMAN JACK. I had intentions to stay at the same RV park in Sturgis but after 25 years I am done with the crowds. I will be there a few weeks earlier to look for property on my way to the Okanogan.
All this stuff is my personal opinion and thus there is no discussion in print. I am rite with a smile.

JIMMY or in some circles (MILO)
MMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:33 AM   #22
Administrator Emeritus

Fair enough Jimmy....

Would love to catch up with you one day, will be heading up and across the top most of June and July...
Newmar in mid-June,then Wyoming and points west until Sturgis...
Old 07-10-2007, 12:12 PM   #23

Anybody who wants to see pictures of some Prevost conversions, go to: http://71.18.177.159/gallery.htm
You'll probably want to mute your speakers.
Click on the pictures to bring up some additional pictures of the units.