Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:22 PM   #1

8V92 Overheat

Hello to all, first time getting on IRV2.

Need help with MCI 8 bus conversion that I just completed last year.
Problem is overheating of engine, which started last year on our first trip.
Only on grades, otherwise no problems with engine. Also I did have a tow vehicle which should not make a difference. Had engine completely rebuilt prior to my trip.

Just had thermostats replaced,. Facility took readings and came up with the thermostats. We were on our way to AZ via I-10 up Chirico Summit a couple of miles and overheating started again.

Let cool and started out to a exit point and started back to Coachella engine again stopped on me. Let cool off and proceeded towards Beaumont Ca. Total of six hr.'s. later I arrived. All this time because of engine overheat.

Let cool for an hour to take to Temecula about a 1 hr drive and it ran perfectly. R. V. shop had me come by to hook up my truck so they could take heat readings no overheating. Grade was not bad and no heat as Palm Springs area.

Doe's anyone have any suggestion??? Need help on this so I can pass on to mechanic. Thanks J ROD'S MONEY PIT

temp of coolant system which all checked out.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2015, 06:30 PM   #2

Hi Rod, welcome to IRV2. I've not had any problems with coach overheating, but old Caddys have been a problem over the years. Some issues I had is radiator plugged and needed to be replaced. Also had problem with hoses collapsing under pressure, not while idling. Hope this is helpful.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:47 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Make sure cooling system is purged of air and that the cooling fans come on soon enough.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:15 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your situation.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:29 PM   #5

Did you replace the thermostats again? I have had a few bad new ones over the years...
Do you have a pryo/EGT gauge on the motor? Sometimes you can dump lots of fuel in without making more power just heat.. Especially pushing on grades.

Also fuel problems can heat or timing out...

I know little about screaming jimmy's.... good luck

how do you know it is overheating? temp gauge good?
Old 04-08-2015, 07:32 PM   #6
laj

8v92's are great engines. the 2 main things that people have issues with is 1, keep the radiator clean. oil is a significant issue for the radiator. the 2nd is when climbing a hill, keep them wound up, no lugging! always above at least 1900 rpm's. just sit back and let'em scream.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:47 PM   #7

over heat issue 8v92

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigvj View Post
Hello to all, first time getting on IRV2.

Need help with MCI 8 bus conversion that I just completed last year.
Problem is overheating of engine, which started last year on our first trip.
Only on grades, otherwise no problems with engine. Also I did have a tow vehicle which should not make a difference. Had engine completely rebuilt prior to my trip.

Just had thermostats replaced,. Facility took readings and came up with the thermostats. We were on our way to AZ via I-10 up Chirico Summit a couple of miles and overheating started again.

Let cool and started out to a exit point and started back to Coachella engine again stopped on me. Let cool off and proceeded towards Beaumont Ca. Total of six hr.'s. later I arrived. All this time because of engine overheat.

Let cool for an hour to take to Temecula about a 1 hr drive and it ran perfectly. R. V. shop had me come by to hook up my truck so they could take heat readings no overheating. Grade was not bad and no heat as Palm Springs area.

Doe's anyone have any suggestion??? Need help on this so I can pass on to mechanic. Thanks J ROD'S MONEY PIT

temp of coolant system which all checked out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjjack View Post
Did you replace the thermostats again? I have had a few bad new ones over the years...
Do you have a pryo/EGT gauge on the motor? Sometimes you can dump lots of fuel in without making more power just heat.. Especially pushing on grades.

I know little about screaming jimmy's.... good luck

how do you know it is overheating? temp gauge good?
ThedJJack
Hello, thank you for reply
Temp gauge shows 210 and hits 220 engines sensors turn off eng. is this pyro/Egt guage needed never have seen one on this type of motor or other bus motors.

Also you indicated fuel problems or timing out, haven't seen this occur. Can you be more detail on this, thanks.
JRod
Old 04-08-2015, 08:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
8v92's are great engines. the 2 main things that people have issues with is 1, keep the radiator clean. oil is a significant issue for the radiator. the 2nd is when climbing a hill, keep them wound up, no lugging! always above at least 1900 rpm's. just sit back and let'em scream.
LAJ,
Radiators were r&r in late 90's prior to me taking over bus conversion.
Took 14 years to complete this project with bus not running 95% of the time.
I'v checked oil at radiator pump ck out okay. Want to be certain were talking up by the fans correct?
Thanks
JRod
Old 04-08-2015, 08:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
Make sure cooling system is purged of air and that the cooling fans come on soon enough.
Keymastr,
Don't know if system is purged of air but I'll have them check. I'll ask about cooling fans. Just by chance do you have a MCI with this eng?
Thanks JROD
Old 04-08-2015, 09:04 PM   #10
laj

8V92 Overheat

the oil i'm talking about is what comes out of the road draft tube, gets sucked by the fan into the outside of the rad. plugs the fins and blocks the airflow thru the rad.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:42 AM   #11

Pyro is just another indicator of how hard the motor is running some computer controlled diesels prevent extreme egt (maybe why less used these days)....

I add Automobile Gauges : auberins.com, Temperature control solutions for home and industry to my diesels

I would look close at cooling system, but not ignore injector issues or manifold leaks etc...

I once had a Mercedes diesel that blew a line that let the injector pump the turbo was boosting... cooling system just could not keep up.