Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:01 AM   #1
Mid Atlantic Campers
Anyone know anything about this?

I was going through old files on CDs and found these. Saw this in a Manassas, VA store parking lot a little over ten years back. Looked really great, but the owner wasn't around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Butterfly Bus 1.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	58087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Butterfly Bus 2.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	58088  

2010 Montana 3665RE, wet bolts, etc.
2006 Ford F350 Diesel Dually, air bags, Softopper, Aeroshild, etc.
Walt Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2014, 03:38 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by Walt Bennett View Post
I was going through old files on CDs and found these. Saw this in a Manassas, VA store parking lot a little over ten years back. Looked really great, but the owner wasn't around.
All I can say is that people sure can get inventive.... wow. The cupola is a particularly interesting touch. Almost bought a schoolbus conversion a lifetime ago, but price was too steep at $3k. It was a very nice conversion too. Wish I could get anything that cheap now!

Bobby & Darrell Mukaisu
2005 Monaco Windsor 40PST 400HP ISL Cummins
2014 Chevy Equinox LS - Full Timers Since 10/1/2010 and Loving it!
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:03 AM   #3
Creative and probably dandy for a long term camping spot.

But for going down the road there are two problems: clearance and weight of the wood siding...and probably an abundance of side issues.
griz326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:23 AM   #4
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think as time goes by we are going to see more Skoolies.
I drive a school bus and from what I have seen starting back about 97-99 almost all bus chassis are built now with a rear air ride axle, the traditional 9-10 leaf front axle springs have gone to the more modern 2 leaf front end, and almost all have either 5 speed Allsion auto trans.

It quite a change.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:17 AM   #5
Anyone know anything about this?

I'm a tad late for responding here, but that "woodie schoolie" makes a unique statement, for sure. Although I've never owned one, nor will I attempt to go the hippy route for a conversion, I still enjoy seeing the creative stuff that shows up at RV parks. Of course a few RV parks will flatly reject a schoolie for fear it will "offend" the other RVers, or something like that.

My wife phoned ahead to a so-called "resort" park last winter, and all went well until they asked what type of RV we had. She just said "a bus" without elaborating. The park manager got on the phone and asked that we file attach a photo so they could determine if it would be acceptable. I pulled over in a highway rest stop, got out the computer, hooked up to the MiFi, and sent a photo. Soon, we were on the way to the park and phoned to see if they had the e-mail and photo. Yep, they did and we were "approved". An hour or so later we motored up the highway and were nearing the entrance then we got a good look at the park. We rolled right on past! The place was the pits. Wife phoned them and cancelled. Next stop was a Wal-Mart, where by ironic coincidence, we parked near a very neatly converted schoolie. I didn't have a lot of time to chat, but the owner did give us a quick history of the exterior work. Wish I had taken photos. It had a small covered rear porch complete with railing.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:39 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The wood shingles look painted on. I like it.

Mark & Carole RVM54
What a long strange trip it's been
2002 Fourwinds 5000 26Q 496 ci. Chevy towing 2004 Jeep Wrangler,2016 Starcraft AR One 18', 2016 F-150
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote