Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2016, 02:59 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have seen 2 other Neoplan conversation RV's on the internet...all well done.

These made me wonder why a North American RV maker hasn't built a 2 level RV for the market here.
Our RV has a loft over the garage (toy hauler) and is always a wonderful, quiet, clean (no through traffic) space.

Great job to the OP

P.S. The "yogurt cup" term is too funny. Ours is all white after removing the decals (see signature photo). We LOVE how cool the RV stays in the warm SoCal sun...and we are exactly 13'1' at the tallest point over garage vents, too.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2016, 03:03 PM   #30

Very Nice, great job and it's definitely one of a kind. Have many safe and happy travels.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:17 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
I have seen 2 other Neoplan conversation RV's on the internet...all well done.
Did they talk to one another a lot?
I know more, although not all of them are double deckers.

Quote:
These made me wonder why a North American RV maker hasn't built a 2 level RV for the market here.
Good question, as the RV's on average are a lot bigger over there... I think it has to do with standing height. That is always an issue when I begin telling I did this conversion. On the upper deck, only my mother in law can stand up straight (and that is not of any importance, because we will not take her with us.. ). Height is approx. 5.4 feet upstairs. For us all, although being taller, it is no issue at all. For the people who come to have a look at the bus, it is no issue. When you are in the bus, it is very easy to take it for granted. But in conversations, it always comes up. Like people upfront consider it to be a big problem.

My guess is that this strange kind of fear of low standing height, keeps builders from making this. While at the same time two stories give so much floor space, so that three separate rooms -two bedrooms, not that small- are possible (!) We can have a conversation or watch tv downstairs, while someone else is sleeping upstairs.

What do you think? Could I be right in this?

Regards, Ron.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:33 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
WOW! I am impressed. Great job.
Rooster54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:00 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuszz View Post
Did they talk to one another a lot?
I know more, although not all of them are double deckers.
The conversions I saw were done by owners (not an organized converter), so their network was not part of the discussion...here's one (with the amazing tandem front axles) that was sold:
2004 Neoplan Bus

Quote:
Good question, as the RV's on average are a lot bigger over there... I think it has to do with standing height. That is always an issue when I begin telling I did this conversion. On the upper deck, only my mother in law can stand up straight (and that is not of any importance, because we will not take her with us.. ). Height is approx. 5.4 feet upstairs. For us all, although being taller, it is no issue at all. For the people who come to have a look at the bus, it is no issue. When you are in the bus, it is very easy to take it for granted. But in conversations, it always comes up. Like people upfront consider it to be a big problem.

My guess is that this strange kind of fear of low standing height, keeps builders from making this. While at the same time two stories give so much floor space, so that three separate rooms -two bedrooms, not that small- are possible (!) We can have a conversation or watch tv downstairs, while someone else is sleeping upstairs.

What do you think? Could I be right in this?

Regards, Ron.
The Neoplan Skyline starts as a double decker...a Bus conversion. My wonderment was about a new construction two story RV.
It just seemed to me that the 13"6" U.S. max height would easily allow a new construction 2 story RV...especially with a VERY large full-timer RV population here.

But, I am no RV sales expert...maybe you are right, buyers want high ceilings (?). If the bottom is 5.4', what is the lower floor ceiling height in yours?

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 09-05-2016, 08:02 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Wanna trade? 😎👍
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:49 AM   #35

Quote:
The conversions I saw were done by owners (not an organized converter), so their network was not part of the discussion...here's one (with the amazing tandem front axles) that was sold:
2004 Neoplan Bus
Prank gone wrong... - my son would say. You wrote bus conversATions. I thought you would get it...

That bus is amazing! I never thought I would see that - a Megaliner converted. Not even in Germany I know of anyone who did that, although I've seen people fantasizing about it.
I can see this conversion costed a lot of money - and it's not my style. And the conversion may be from 2004, but the bus itself most certainly is not. My guess is that it is from the 80's. I would be interested how much he got for it, though.
Did you know it has four steering axles?! Even the driven axle steers 3 degrees.
I happen to know someone who owned these buses, but for him they were not a big succes. A bit costly in maintenance, and the advanced technology made it vulnerable - so he said.
Neoplan doesn't make them anymore - unlike my Skyliner which is still in production, be it totally renewed, of course.

Reminds me of this: THE BUS, worldgreatest MOTORHOME is for sale Did you ever see this?
(I doubt it is used as a RV, I know a bus trader converted it, I guess to attract some attention.)

Quote:
But, I am no RV sales expert...maybe you are right, buyers want high ceilings (?). If the bottom is 5.4', what is the lower floor ceiling height in yours?
1.80 - 1.85 meter, that would be approx. 6 feet. I can stand straight, but I'm touching.

Regards, Ron.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:06 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon190 View Post
Wanna trade? 😎👍
You asking me? Well, I guess everything has its price...

Why you ask?

Regards, Ron.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:56 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuszz View Post
Prank gone wrong... - my son would say. You wrote bus conversATions. I thought you would get it...
Sorry, silly auto-spell check...I didn't see it.

Quote:
...Neoplan doesn't make them anymore - unlike my Skyliner which is still in production, be it totally renewed, of course.
Their website says Neoplan is still the brand name for four different style buses - Skyliner to Jetliner - not true?:
NEOPLAN | Home

Quote:
Reminds me of this: THE BUS, worldgreatest MOTORHOME is for sale Did you ever see this?
(I doubt it is used as a RV, I know a bus trader converted it, I guess to attract some attention.)

Regards, Ron.
No, had no seen that. But would summarize an articulated vehicle would truly limit destination options. U.S. Federal length limit is about 19.8 meters on any standard (not an oversize) vehicle with trailer (combined length).

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 09-06-2016, 01:48 PM   #38

I'm surprised we haven't seen any conversions on the articulated single decker transit coaches that are so common these-days. The Seattle area Metro Transit has had them in the fleet for over 20 years. I used to ride a service from Boeing's Renton plat to my home back around 1975. The early ones were substantially under-powered (non-turbo) for the inclines in some residential areas. One hill in our neighborhood needed first gear all the way up.

Once turbo-charging came in, they were much better.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:52 PM   #39

Neoplan used to be part of Gillig..late 70's
Old 09-06-2016, 03:22 PM   #40

Quote:
Their website says Neoplan is still the brand name for four different style buses - Skyliner to Jetliner - not true?:
NEOPLAN | Home
Sure, that's true. I was referring to the four-axled Megaliner, that is no longer in production, where my Skyliner still is..

Regards, Ron.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:40 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
I want one! Waaaaayyyyy coooolll!
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:52 PM   #42

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What a project! Really nice job!
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote