Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-05-2016, 02:59 PM   #29
Community Moderator
 
Scarab0088's Avatar


 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 11,997
I have seen 2 other Neoplan conversation RV's on the internet...all well done.

These made me wonder why a North American RV maker hasn't built a 2 level RV for the market here.
Our RV has a loft over the garage (toy hauler) and is always a wonderful, quiet, clean (no through traffic) space.

Great job to the OP

P.S. The "yogurt cup" term is too funny. Ours is all white after removing the decals (see signature photo). We LOVE how cool the RV stays in the warm SoCal sun...and we are exactly 13'1' at the tallest point over garage vents, too.
__________________

__________________
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
http://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2016, 03:03 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,651
Very Nice, great job and it's definitely one of a kind. Have many safe and happy travels.
__________________

__________________
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:17 PM   #31
Junior Member
 
BigBuszz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
I have seen 2 other Neoplan conversation RV's on the internet...all well done.
Did they talk to one another a lot?
I know more, although not all of them are double deckers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
These made me wonder why a North American RV maker hasn't built a 2 level RV for the market here.
Good question, as the RV's on average are a lot bigger over there... I think it has to do with standing height. That is always an issue when I begin telling I did this conversion. On the upper deck, only my mother in law can stand up straight (and that is not of any importance, because we will not take her with us.. ). Height is approx. 5.4 feet upstairs. For us all, although being taller, it is no issue at all. For the people who come to have a look at the bus, it is no issue. When you are in the bus, it is very easy to take it for granted. But in conversations, it always comes up. Like people upfront consider it to be a big problem.

My guess is that this strange kind of fear of low standing height, keeps builders from making this. While at the same time two stories give so much floor space, so that three separate rooms -two bedrooms, not that small- are possible (!) We can have a conversation or watch tv downstairs, while someone else is sleeping upstairs.

What do you think? Could I be right in this?

Regards, Ron.
__________________
www.bigbuszz.nl - www.fb.com/bigbuszz
BigBuszz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:33 PM   #32
Member
 
Rooster54's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 44
WOW! I am impressed. Great job.
__________________
Lee & Rox
08 Discovery 40X
91 Miata
Rooster54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:00 PM   #33
Community Moderator
 
Scarab0088's Avatar


 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 11,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuszz View Post
Did they talk to one another a lot?
I know more, although not all of them are double deckers.
The conversions I saw were done by owners (not an organized converter), so their network was not part of the discussion...here's one (with the amazing tandem front axles) that was sold:
2004 Neoplan Bus

Quote:
Good question, as the RV's on average are a lot bigger over there... I think it has to do with standing height. That is always an issue when I begin telling I did this conversion. On the upper deck, only my mother in law can stand up straight (and that is not of any importance, because we will not take her with us.. ). Height is approx. 5.4 feet upstairs. For us all, although being taller, it is no issue at all. For the people who come to have a look at the bus, it is no issue. When you are in the bus, it is very easy to take it for granted. But in conversations, it always comes up. Like people upfront consider it to be a big problem.

My guess is that this strange kind of fear of low standing height, keeps builders from making this. While at the same time two stories give so much floor space, so that three separate rooms -two bedrooms, not that small- are possible (!) We can have a conversation or watch tv downstairs, while someone else is sleeping upstairs.

What do you think? Could I be right in this?

Regards, Ron.
The Neoplan Skyline starts as a double decker...a Bus conversion. My wonderment was about a new construction two story RV.
It just seemed to me that the 13"6" U.S. max height would easily allow a new construction 2 story RV...especially with a VERY large full-timer RV population here.

But, I am no RV sales expert...maybe you are right, buyers want high ceilings (?). If the bottom is 5.4', what is the lower floor ceiling height in yours?

Safe travels
__________________
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
http://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:02 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Falcon190's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Camas, WA
Posts: 858
Wanna trade? 😎👍
__________________
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:49 AM   #35
Junior Member
 
BigBuszz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
The conversions I saw were done by owners (not an organized converter), so their network was not part of the discussion...here's one (with the amazing tandem front axles) that was sold:
2004 Neoplan Bus
Prank gone wrong... - my son would say. You wrote bus conversATions. I thought you would get it...

That bus is amazing! I never thought I would see that - a Megaliner converted. Not even in Germany I know of anyone who did that, although I've seen people fantasizing about it.
I can see this conversion costed a lot of money - and it's not my style. And the conversion may be from 2004, but the bus itself most certainly is not. My guess is that it is from the 80's. I would be interested how much he got for it, though.
Did you know it has four steering axles?! Even the driven axle steers 3 degrees.
I happen to know someone who owned these buses, but for him they were not a big succes. A bit costly in maintenance, and the advanced technology made it vulnerable - so he said.
Neoplan doesn't make them anymore - unlike my Skyliner which is still in production, be it totally renewed, of course.

Reminds me of this: THE BUS, worldgreatest MOTORHOME is for sale Did you ever see this?
(I doubt it is used as a RV, I know a bus trader converted it, I guess to attract some attention.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
But, I am no RV sales expert...maybe you are right, buyers want high ceilings (?). If the bottom is 5.4', what is the lower floor ceiling height in yours?
1.80 - 1.85 meter, that would be approx. 6 feet. I can stand straight, but I'm touching.

Regards, Ron.
__________________
www.bigbuszz.nl - www.fb.com/bigbuszz
BigBuszz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:06 AM   #36
Junior Member
 
BigBuszz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon190 View Post
Wanna trade? 😎👍
You asking me? Well, I guess everything has its price...

Why you ask?

Regards, Ron.
__________________
www.bigbuszz.nl - www.fb.com/bigbuszz
BigBuszz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:56 AM   #37
Community Moderator
 
Scarab0088's Avatar


 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 11,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuszz View Post
Prank gone wrong... - my son would say. You wrote bus conversATions. I thought you would get it...
Sorry, silly auto-spell check...I didn't see it.


Quote:
...Neoplan doesn't make them anymore - unlike my Skyliner which is still in production, be it totally renewed, of course.
Their website says Neoplan is still the brand name for four different style buses - Skyliner to Jetliner - not true?:
NEOPLAN | Home

Quote:
Reminds me of this: THE BUS, worldgreatest MOTORHOME is for sale Did you ever see this?
(I doubt it is used as a RV, I know a bus trader converted it, I guess to attract some attention.)

Regards, Ron.
No, had no seen that. But would summarize an articulated vehicle would truly limit destination options. U.S. Federal length limit is about 19.8 meters on any standard (not an oversize) vehicle with trailer (combined length).

Safe travels
__________________
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
http://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:48 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Anacortes, WA (Stick & Brick)
Posts: 2,565
I'm surprised we haven't seen any conversions on the articulated single decker transit coaches that are so common these-days. The Seattle area Metro Transit has had them in the fleet for over 20 years. I used to ride a service from Boeing's Renton plat to my home back around 1975. The early ones were substantially under-powered (non-turbo) for the inclines in some residential areas. One hill in our neighborhood needed first gear all the way up.

Once turbo-charging came in, they were much better.
__________________
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and ex-RVers.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:52 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
DMTTRANSPORT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Posts: 1,225
Neoplan used to be part of Gillig..late 70's
__________________
2005 Newmar DS 4023, Spartan Chassis, ISL 370 Cumapart, 2008 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, 2015 Kia Soul, 1969 Italian & 2004 Akita
DMTTRANSPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:22 PM   #40
Junior Member
 
BigBuszz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Their website says Neoplan is still the brand name for four different style buses - Skyliner to Jetliner - not true?:
NEOPLAN | Home
Sure, that's true. I was referring to the four-axled Megaliner, that is no longer in production, where my Skyliner still is..

Regards, Ron.
__________________
www.bigbuszz.nl - www.fb.com/bigbuszz
BigBuszz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:40 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
TonyMac's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Layton, Utah
Posts: 815
I want one! Waaaaayyyyy coooolll!
__________________
Cheers,
TonyMac
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:52 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
brucev's Avatar


 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 183
What a project! Really nice job!
__________________

__________________
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sanity Check, need a second, third, forth pair of eyes to double check brocja01 Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 6 11-04-2014 06:20 PM
Double decker greatlakes Bus Conversions 4 03-15-2013 02:22 PM
Leyland Double-decker Conversions frankdamp Bus Conversions 12 04-13-2012 09:49 AM
The Bad Boy Prevost Style Bus! Bus Nuts Check this out! Hot Foot Bus Conversions 20 02-04-2011 03:47 PM
DANGER - URGENT! Black & Decker Electronic Pest Repellers deputydog iRV2.com General Discussion 4 04-14-2008 01:10 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.