Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-02-2016, 04:36 PM   #1

Check out my double decker bus conversion - what do you think?

In 2011 I bought this 1992 Neoplan Skyliner as a coach with 90 seats, and it took me until two months ago to make it into what it now is. Essentially a appartment with two seperate bedrooms, a bathroom and fully equipped kitchen.

In july we took it on the road for the first time, family with three kids, heading for Austria, but the radiator couldn't keep up with the southern German mountains, going up and up the engine got overheated, so we turned and did two weeks Germany (the radiator needs to be overhauled - I'll get that done). We had a great two weeks, enjoyed very much the luxury of having it all with us.. with really big windows, and often upstairs a beautiful view.

You can check out more photos on the website of the bus www.bigbuszz.nl, or take a look at this YouTube-video of Loulou, who was with us on the holidays and did a 'bustour': https://youtu.be/v1T5T2QZ7x4 (if you want to skip the talking, start at 45 sec.)

The people I show the bus over here like it, but I am curious how it would rate in the States, so that's why I'm writing this. Please tell me what you think, good or bad, and why you like it, or why not.

Thanks!

Regards, Ron.
The Netherlands

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2016, 04:44 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Very nice

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 05:11 PM   #3

It looks good from here!

And no slideouts to fail! ;-))
Old 09-02-2016, 06:01 PM   #4

Looks really nice What engine is in that conversion, how tall is it, and one more thing, why only one pillow on the bed?
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:12 PM   #5

Very nice.
Wish our rv's would use mini split ac.
Let's see some mechanical stuff. Motor. Condensers. Water. Grey black tanks etc etc
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:55 PM   #6

Very nice and
Old 09-02-2016, 07:47 PM   #7
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

That is outrageous. Nice that is. More pictures please. What a project.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:50 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Excellent
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:10 PM   #9
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Wow that's really something Ron. You really transformed her that's for sure, very good job! Great looking rig.

I saw one similar on a TV show here in USA called Mega RVs. If I remember correctly, the owner was in Florida. It would be quite an experience to tour the country as a passenger upstairs in the front seats!

What is the overall height of your bus in feet?

Best regards,
W.D.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Looks really nice What engine is in that conversion, how tall is it, and one more thing, why only one pillow on the bed?
Mercedes 6-cyl. engine, with 230 HP a bit underpowered, but it takes you where you want to go. It got completely overhauled last year, so it is basically new.

It's 40 feet long (12 meters) and 13 feet high (4 meters - the max. what is allowed over here).

I'm very picky about pillows, I use to take my own with me on vacation, so my wife packed the one I sleep with at home, but actually the pillows we bought for the bus are quite good too.

Regards, Ron.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice View Post
Very nice.
Wish our rv's would use mini split ac.
Let's see some mechanical stuff. Motor. Condensers. Water. Grey black tanks etc etc
We carry 600 liter fresh water (approx. 160 gallon) and we have a 300 liter black water tank (~80 gallon) and 200 liter grey (~50 gallon). I installed a 230V pressure pump with a pressure tank, which gives a few liters without having to be 'on' all the time. The toilet is a 230V Sanibroyeur, that takes 3 liters and then 6 seconds to flush, where the... ehrr... content gets crushed (what is that called in English? )

I built in a 100 liter LPG gas tank for hot water and cooking. That tank can be filled from the outside (here you can do that at every gas station - abroad LPG is not that common). It lasts forever.. well, a long time. :-)
We have four 12V 220Ah batteries aboard, part of a 24V system. The Victron Multiplus 3000W 230V converter/charger was expensive (~2000 euro), but works great. Lighting is all LED, with only one kind of lamp used:

This LED does 10 - 30V, so it can withstand charging at 27-28V.
I bought a 24V condenser fridge, which is great too.

Heating we do with the two 230V split unit AC's, but we have got a Webasto heater on diesel too (came with the bus). But the last one is, although effective, a bit noisy.

Is there more to tell?

Regards, Ron.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Welcome to the forum.

That is outrageous. Nice that is. More pictures please. What a project.
Thank you.

Some pictures of the state it is in now are in this Google Photos folder: https://goo.gl/photos/i3DCk748SrXxBXyf7
(I wanted to do a good photo shoot, but I wanted the bus to be completely ready for that. Now I wonder when that will be... )

The pictures of the complete conversion (from 2011 until our first vacation last month) are in this folder:
https://goo.gl/photos/KJLum1ap7MDKZCUw6

Regards, Ron.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:38 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Ron! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

WOW! Amazing job!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:55 AM   #14

Very nice conversion!!!