Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2015, 08:49 PM   #15

Darstar,

Your coach is not too different from our coach. It also has a Gillig chassis. The interior of the Concept was pretty much done like the CC Prevost conversions at the time, so it has several luxury appointments over and above ours. My perception is Country Coach suffered from Prevost envy, and tried to build coaches that were supposed to be direct competition with Prevost. The Concept was the first, then Lexa, and finally the Rhapsody, which along with the Veranda coaches, helped bankrupt the company.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2015, 08:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
Darstar,

Your coach is not too different from our coach. It also has a Gillig chassis. The interior of the Concept was pretty much done like the CC Prevost conversions at the time, so it has several luxury appointments over and above ours. My perception is Country Coach suffered from Prevost envy, and tried to build coaches that were supposed to be direct competition with Prevost. The Concept was the first, then Lexa, and finally the Rhapsody, which along with the Veranda coaches, helped bankrupt the company.
Some of the "special" nature of the Concept is coming back to haunt me it seems. My winter stay in AZ/NM. was cut short a bit 2 weeks ago, with a lift axle failure.The stub axle housing that mates together the assembly on my right rear unit has experienced a 70 percent crack, all around the Axle. I had to leave it in Albquerique and come home in the Jeep. So far its been a run a round with MCT trying to get parts. The Ridewell people say it was a special build by Guillig using their parts and at first Gillig pointed us to Ridewell who actually made the unit.Gillig no longer builds MH chassis so it has taken a lot of digging by MCT for answers.Throw in the axle builder ( Meritor ) and you have a Mexican standoff in process. At this moment, Gillig seems to own up to the orig. build and are trying to help with Mertior owning up to their part ( Rockwell ) the stub axle. Everyone so far says both sides will need to be replaced as it was built as one then cut the center from the axle shaft....Stay tuned !
darstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:29 AM   #17

Thanks for the update! Keep us posted on your progress/fight! LOL

Will be watching this thread closely.

I'm gong thrue somewhat same thing with a Atwood Electric 10K jack on the left rear. Shaft sheared. All gears are AOK. All the googling I do I see posts that the whole shootin match needs to be replaced at the tune of 700 to 800 smackers! I then call Atwood & am told that their is a Motor/gearbox assembly for $250 dealer price, i'm sure end user price is $500. Well, I get somwhat excited BUT then the carpet is pulled out from under me, 3 units already backordered. Looks like I might be looking for a machine shop.

Don't give up!

RM
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:57 AM   #18

Darstar,

Good luck, I hope you get it worked out. I've only had one dealing with Gillig when I needed a new muffler, and they were very helpful.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:01 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
Darstar,

Good luck, I hope you get it worked out. I've only had one dealing with Gillig when I needed a new muffler, and they were very helpful.
Thanks , i had been told that Gillig people were easy to work with, i guess my first call was directed to the wrong person. I had also called CC , but never got any reply. The big thing now for me is getting my coach back. Its not like I had many choices . I still think if i could have got it home that I know enough local people where we would have removed the cracked part and carefully welded it back in place, extra plating if needed. Then do the same to the other side, for good measure.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:32 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Thanks , i had been told that Gillig people were easy to work with, i guess my first call was directed to the wrong person. I had also called CC , but never got any reply. The big thing now for me is getting my coach back. Its not like I had many choices . I still think if i could have got it home that I know enough local people where we would have removed the cracked part and carefully welded it back in place, extra plating if needed. Then do the same to the other side, for good measure.

Might be your best choice unless someting else comes up.

RM
Old 04-17-2015, 06:57 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
Might be your best choice unless someting else comes up.

RM
other than putting the coach on a stretch low boy, and permitting it for over wt....i see no chance to bring it home unfixed. At over 52,000 lbs as she sits, that lift axle is mandatory over 10mph....what ever happens it will have to be done in NM...and i won't wait much longer for some answers...( going to call MCT today )
Old 04-17-2015, 05:18 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Darstar, I have not been on in a while, sorry to hear about your problem in NM.
That is one of my biggest fears is a major problem while far from home being at the mercy of people I don't know.
To answer some of your questions no big trips yet we have had our coach for about a year but I promest the wife when we bought it I would finish the new house we are building or at least make it livable before we leave home. We are planing on heading to AZ the end of December
No dents on the Crome that's all good except on one of the bay doors it has a little bow where the Crome is not flush with the door, the only way I see to fix it would be to remove rivets on one side and use some 3m adhesive then rerivet.
You don't even notice it when you get a few feet away, but I agree with you the concept is something special the only thing I would trade it for would be a prevost in the same shape.
Well I have had a little bad luck with mine, some of it my fault. I didn't do a very good job winterizing and have been repairing a few leaks then today I took it into town today for new front tires and had a dead batterie. I jumped it to get it started and while driving I noticed the charge voltage was below 12v so I am thinking my altanator is not charging
To answer your question about the dash mine is antalog. I thought I would like to have the digital but after reading about the issues they have im glad I dont.
Also you asked about what engine I have its the DD 8v92. I have 166k miles on her and I hope and pray it's really a million mile motor! It seems to run strong and dose not smoke (knock on wood) but I do have some concerns about the fact they are so sensitive about temp. They are made to run between 180 and 195 deg but the temp gauge on the dash reads between 190 and 200 when running at highway speeds and can creep up over that if Ideling for much time but, I use my laser temp gauge directly on the engine and it's running at 190 to 195 unless you point it at the exhaust manifold. It has the ddec3 computer so I would think it would tell me if it was to hot. That s.o.b tells me every thing else.lol that thing drives me nuts! By the way I had a issue with a bad circuit board and cc wanted a grand to replace/upgrade. I removed the board and searched the manufacture and ordered old/new stock they were left with when cc went belly up and they sold it to me for $50 bucks
Hondalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 04:59 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Might be late to the party here, but 20 years ago I used to call the parts guys in Hayward Ca at Gillig for some 20 year old coaches we had in a fleet - I was a service writer. That stub axle question jogged my memory.

1993 Pace Arrow Diesel Allison 6 spd
Cummins 8.3C Oshkosh M chassis
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport JK 2017 EZ-Go Golf Cart
miwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:56 AM   #24

What's the status on the lift axle issue? Ice like to hear some good news.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:05 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondalee View Post
That is one of my biggest fears is a major problem while far from home being at the mercy of people I don't know.
To answer some of your questions no big trips yet we have had our coach for about a year but I promest the wife when we bought it I would finish the new house we are building or at least make it livable before we leave home. We are planing on heading to AZ the end of December
No dents on the Crome that's all good except on one of the bay doors it has a little bow where the Crome is not flush with the door, the only way I see to fix it would be to remove rivets on one side and use some 3m adhesive then rerivet.
You don't even notice it when you get a few feet away, but I agree with you the concept is something special the only thing I would trade it for would be a prevost in the same shape.
Well I have had a little bad luck with mine, some of it my fault. I didn't do a very good job winterizing and have been repairing a few leaks then today I took it into town today for new front tires and had a dead batterie. I jumped it to get it started and while driving I noticed the charge voltage was below 12v so I am thinking my altanator is not charging
To answer your question about the dash mine is antalog. I thought I would like to have the digital but after reading about the issues they have im glad I dont.
Also you asked about what engine I have its the DD 8v92. I have 166k miles on her and I hope and pray it's really a million mile motor! It seems to run strong and dose not smoke (knock on wood) but I do have some concerns about the fact they are so sensitive about temp. They are made to run between 180 and 195 deg but the temp gauge on the dash reads between 190 and 200 when running at highway speeds and can creep up over that if Ideling for much time but, I use my laser temp gauge directly on the engine and it's running at 190 to 195 unless you point it at the exhaust manifold. It has the ddec3 computer so I would think it would tell me if it was to hot. That s.o.b tells me every thing else.lol that thing drives me nuts! By the way I had a issue with a bad circuit board and cc wanted a grand to replace/upgrade. I removed the board and searched the manufacture and ordered old/new stock they were left with when cc went belly up and they sold it to me for $50 bucks
I guess its time to catch up on this thread, been a while since I checked in, as a lot of my problems have been addressed on another thread. ( too many problems and too many questions ). First, I have to give you a gold star for solving your own printed circuit panel....Question , do you have the ECC board system ? Mollon switches ? CC told me if I could identifi the bad card in the ECC they could repair it. I question that , but it would be interesting if what I was told is true.( my only problem in this area are the light system panels ( mollon panels in part of the coach ) I will attack that after all my big things are fixed !
Old 07-20-2015, 07:31 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
What's the status on the lift axle issue? Ice like to hear some good news.
Well, its not over yet! The axle was solved by Gillig finding the prints on the original build of the lift axle.Rockwell then built the new system assembly then sent it to Ridewell who put on the air lift stuff. The completed axle was then installed by McI in Albq. I had to buy 2 new aluminum wheels pluss tires which I had sent to MCI..... All seemed to be going well even tho it had been 2 months to make all this happen.......When we got there all looked good, except MCI messed up my electrical charging system which related in flat batteries and engine would not start. Our freezer melted everything, what a mess !. They would not own up to whatever they did ( I think they overloaded the inveters in some way ). They gave me 100 bucks and directed us to the RV dealer in town.By the time we got there the 300 amp alternator brought up the system enough to work , but only while engine was running.Stupid me , i went along with their "fix" and headed home, 17000miles later when I finally shut down the engine, I found\ with the help of 3 shops locally/ that the inverters were toast..Its been a month now with a battery charger running nite and day, looking for what was wrong and how to fix it... The last RV place here told me to replace toe inverters.after they replaces an internal fuse, which made no difference....bottom line I now am in contact with a bguy in Cal. who may be ab le to help.....so, no the problems as a result of.....are yet to be resolved !.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:10 AM   #27

Thanks for the updat. Do whish we could be of assistance but it appears your slowly getting things back to somewhat normal. Hang in their
Old 07-20-2015, 09:40 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondalee View Post
rereading your post, and your engine temp....question ,do you have hydralic side van and rad. set up ? CC was having lot of problems, my rad and fan set up has been replaced just before I got the coach/ Of coarse you have a two cycle V 8 engine and mine is 4 cycle inline 6, so that can be a difference. Mine does run a little warm, about 210 most of the time.