Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #1

Difference in Handling and ride quality

Hello to all

Up until a couple of years ago before my retirement I owned a 98 Holiday Rambler 36 foot gas coach. What a joke, but I thought it is all I could afford at the time and not knowing where the value was really at. We did have many enjoyable hours in it despite going broke trying to keep it glued to the road with after market products to make it safer and losing the transmission with only 20,000 miles on it. I could go on but it is what it is, and I had to learn that. Also I know many people would be happy with that coach as well. After driving millions of miles in semi trucks in all kinds of weather I was spoiled with the level of safety that comes with a heavy rig. Now let me get to my question.
I have been looking at every place I can think of to get an honest opinon from someone who has had the experience of both Prevost bus conversions and Bluebird Wanderlodge motor coaches. Checking search engines on various sites. I plan on driving both before making my purchase but unless you are fully loaded it can be somewhat misleading.
I am looking at a purchase of a either 1998 Prevost no slide and or a 2003 Bluebird LX cummins and 2001 BB LXI DD 60 series with slides
I have asked owners of each type of coach that swear there's is the best. I understand why someone would say this of course.
However I have not been able to find anyone who has owned both and therefore has had any personal experence driving both. Is there anyone on this forum with that kind of experience and that would be willing to share!!!!!!!
I'm aware that in 1997 Prevost went to independant front suspenion and those benefits, as well as a monocuquot chassis. I know very little about the Wanderlodge chassis how ever I have seen one at a FMCA rally years ago while attending wihout the body on it. I have no doubt in the superior durability and longevity of both for my use but I'm looking for the lowest cost regarding maintenance, depresation and really like the idea of maybe one or two slides that I can get with my budget in only the Bluebird Wanderlodge.
Also What are the opinions as far as quality of ride and handeling is concerned between the 40 foot and the 45 foot which is really a 43 foot with the Bluebird LXI. I can get a little more coach with my limited budget with the Bluebird for some reason I would guess because of lower resale value and that they are not being manufactured anymore. I have driven millions of miles as prevously mentioned in Kenworth and Perterbilt trucks in both Cummins and Cat engines But when it comes to Buses that is another story and there are some real differences. Let me say Thank you for anyone that cares to share there experience with me regarding my upcomming purchase. I think I have a good enough filter so please feel free to express your opinions as well as your experience if you have any for what ever reason. Best regards and thanks again. love this forum.

Steve C.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
First Welcome to iRV2 .... Imo it will be almost impossible to find a former owner of both buses... Can you drive both and make a choice from your experience... Just a thought... Good Luck and Safe Travels... D

Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #3

DixieRay53

Thank you for your opnion. Let me say I think your probably right. I kind of knew that my question and getting a answer would be a long shot as far as finding someone that has owned both or at least driven both. I may have been playing the devils advocate little bit as I tried to strenthen my opinion or lack there of.

If your interested I did find and read an opinion on the Wanderlodge Owners site for what ever bias the author may have had?
He thought that for ride go Prevost and for safety go with Bluebird Wanderlodge that being said that would go along with my unfounded perception. I now relize that would be a shallow statement to make and I'm sure dosen't mean that Prevost is some how unsafe. Although this indivual was not answering my question directly I did appreicate his opinion. The statement if one wants to except or believe it, just opens up a bunch of other question for me that I think I may have a little bit more knowledge understanding about in making my decision. Thanks again for your willingness to respond to my post. and we will see if anyone cares to debate or chime in here.

Regards
Steve C.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #4

Have never driven either but read that BlueBird had problems and possibly a suit involving front end parts. Something about parts too light for the listed carry capacity. Think it was with later year models but not sure of years. With that said, I would consider a late model bird with a slide if I could get one past the wife.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #5

Hi Southland

Thanks for the heads up on the front end info I might be able to do some googleing research and find out a bit more of what you had related too regarding the front end problems with some Bluebird Wanderlodge model years thanks a bunch for jumping in here on this thread and trying to help.

Steve C.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #6

I'll bet you'll find a Prevost/Blubird owner - certainly specific opinions and information - at Welcome to... BusNuts.com

You might also contact Sean at Our Odyssey as he is a fountain of bus info and probably knows owners of both chassis.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you asked this same question on RV.net ? A lot of users on that site too.

Now let ask you a question. I see that you have driven trucks with both Cummins and Cat engines. I see a lot of battles on here about which is the better overall engine.
What was your experience with them and do you have a preference for either engine?
Old 01-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #8

Thanks to all those who have offered your Ideas appreicated the help. As to answer Arch's question that he asked. I will now take a stab at it.

First let me qualify myself my experiences is some what outdated meaning that I drove over the road some twenty five years ago now. but have family members and friends that have keep me up to speed with advances and changes in techniclogy to start with I am somewhat bias to Cummin because that is the bulk of my miles were drivin with a Cummins and at that time I thought they offered the best value for the money. However Cat engins will out last a Cummins any day of the week but having said that Catipillar will cost you more to purchase and for parts as well as well as to maintain and also won't quite get the fuel mileagae you can get out of Cummins. Which over the life of the engine a mile or half mile per gallon is a bunch of money. The good news you can expect to get a lot more miles out of Cat like about 750,000 miles before you have to do much to the enging. When a Cummins goes down it is usally in the top end problem somewhere around 400,000 or 500,000 and then need a inframe rebuild at maybe 600,000 anyway the Cats will fail in the bottom end first like right at the 750,000 miles and will need rings and bearings and a new cam then. So as you can see where is the best value for the trucking industries is a tough call when they are hauling gross weight of 80,000 pounds day in and day out. We are really talking fords and Chevy here. Back in my day Detroit Diesels were either 71 series and 8V92 series which was a two stroke type engine and not very good ones either, in my opinon and they leaked oil and got terible fuel mileage, like 4 or 4.5 miles per gallon. Now let me say this about the DD 60 series in one heck of nice engine. It has a life expectancy of 1,000.000 and is a great engine for fleets that seem to get a lot more abuse from inexperienced drivers and the like. they will take one heck of a beating and is a great application for a bus. I really don't know now useful any of this information might be that I have offered as it is related to the RV industry. But I wanted to say this to prove my last statement. As a side note one of the things that makes the Cat engine so popular in the RV motorhomes is that the direct injection and rail presure that Cat uses gets you going a lot quickerfrom a dead stop than a Cummins in other words in a cummins when you step on the excelorator it kind of lags for a second before it takes hold and in a cummins it's pretty much right now and the tork comes on a lot stronger if you will. Now with an automatic Alllison transmission that's a big deal but with a 13 speed or a 15 speed manual transmission with rpm split at 250 rpms between gears it's not that much of a deal. In closing let me restate that in a motorhome I would not hesitate to go with a Cat or Cummins because you will never begin to ware those engine out in fact they don't do a tune up which is called an overhead until 60,000 mile which is not to much more than a valve addjustment, but very important so as to not damage the engine. When buying a used bus the maintance is everything as to how long that engine will last so get records and have it checked out before buying because it one pile of money to replace or rebuild one. Well I know this is of use to all those interested in it and will check out the RV site to see what I might learn about Bluebirds and Prevost conversions. Everone keep smiling,
Old 01-27-2012, 02:02 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for your information.

It's always interesting to hear from someone who has the experience that you have.

I have a friend who is 73 and still driving truck. He tells stories of taking three weeks to cross the country on two lane highways before the interstates came along. With some pretty small engines to boot. I think we're spoiled.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #10

Arch

You are so right we are spoiled. Back in about 1973 the weight laws were gross weight of 73,280 and would change from state to state so you could be leagal in one state but not in another. Experience being the teacher. The equipment was not what it is today brakes for one they were a lot smaller and the driving skills were much more important because of the equipment deficet. A forty or forty two foot trailer was the norm and now days everything is 53 foot trailers, and a gross weight of 80,000 pounds. Years ago going over Donners pass in California before the roads were improved to what there are, was pretty scary. Many Truck driver met there maker there. It scares me now days to think of the inexperience drivers that they run through these driving schools and put out there within six weeks this being posible only because of the larger more powerful engines and nine speed transmissions or automatics even make them much easier to drive but won't save yours or someone elses life with all that weight if your judgement comes in to question from lack of experience. I remember when I was first givin a 5 and 4 to drive that is a five speed main box with a four speed secondary box in other words twenty speed with two sticks to shift at the same time. It's a little bit like eating spaggette for the first time, and would require you to stick your arm through the stearing wheel to shift in some situations, but was much prefered because it would allow you to hold your rpm's up better. Keep the shinny side up.

Steve C.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #11

Here's what the Wanderlodge Owners' Group has to say on the LX and LXI. Note that discussion of the lawsuit(s) is not allowed. LX and LXI (Unique Issues) - Wanderlodge Owners Group

Randy Dupree, the forum owner, is quite knowledgeable, and I believe that he has some experience with Prevost as well. The Buy Bye Blue Bird banner ad at the top of the page is his brokerage business, and there is a link to email him directly.
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #12

I have both now

I have a wanderlodge had it for seven years it has the 8v92 runs like a bat out of hell have had no problums in seven years except had to replace the air bags only one went bad were very cheap 75 bucke each. has pleanty power up mountians stopes good handles nice and drives smooth and quiet gets around sim mpg fell safe also is built super strong and simple is has been a great bus Now the prevost is an xl niether have slides it is a 1994 and also has the 8v92 same mpg same power although it feels like it is a little lighter both will spot the rear with oil in a day of travel and will use a gallon of oil in 6oo miles if you leave them 3/4 gal low the dont appear to leak as much. both are great drive nice both are 8v92 i cant afford a 60 but i leave thim in my dust in the mountians my wanderlodge is an 86 PT40 they are not as plush but appear to bebuilt and enginired for the long run. Biggest difference is how people on the road treat you in the prevost they act as if you are a special person could be good or bad but im just an old country boy contact me if i can answer any queshtions David
Old 06-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #13

Florida Cooters Club
For good Bluebird info go to Wanderlodgeownersgroup.com
They will give you all the information you want. Some of the members have had or now own both Newel and Bluebird coaches. This is a great group and very willing to answer questions without bias.

Tags
quality