Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
I always thought Duo-Therm AC for RV's biggest was a 15,500 BTU unit.
Are they Heat pumps also?

No satellite dish?
It has In Motion Self Tracking Satellite System

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2013, 02:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhytefall View Post
I will not ask where this is.
I will not ask where this is.
I will not ask.... I'm losin' this battle.

Is it a GM, MCI, or Eagle?
The converted coach near us appears to be an old single-level Greyhound bus, I would guess circa 50's or, more likely, 60's. I dunno'. It has a Greyhound emblem on the front of it....but maybe the owner simply added that. Just don't have a clue what it is....and not sure I want to know for reasons I stated earlier. All I really know is that everytime I get up to our coach (frequently), I stroll over one stall and look at the thing. It is so kooool!

Old 04-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #17

Ursu, looking over what you provided and, as just my opinion, it's a right clean coach. The correct boxes are checked, and it looks clean. I feel the asking price may be about 30% too high given today's market. If it checks out mechanically, I'd say you found yourself a gem.
Nhytefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #18

I like it but: Rust is a huge potential problem. It has torsa-lastic suspension. Very expensive to repair if indeed it can be. All MCIs were on air. You will not get much side to side movement but rather front to back, much like a rocking horse. 8-V92, very, very thirsty motor and prone to leak oil. Look carefully in the engine bay especially in the corners of the panels for signs of caked oil that is not easy to get to. No mention was made of the road air unless I missed it, check all of the drive belts as they were known to be a problem and difficult to change. The coach is high by today's standards, always be aware of trees and wires. Bus conversions are complicated as they were never intended to be rolling homes unlike the motor homes of today. Today, most of the systems used are somewhat standard in nature. Then, it was a hodgepodge of parts based upon the converters choice and degree of skill.

Finally, it doubt it was ever a Greyhound. Trailways used Eagles exclusively and the Hound used MCIs. When the companies merged all of the Eagles were phased out. The emblem on the front is an Eagle trademark.

The foregoing was based upon my experience having owed a Marathon/Prevost coach for nearly six years and 210,000 miles.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
either way the interior looks fantastic. I cant believe how roomy it looks without slides.
the kitchen layout is very nice as well

it looks to be a gem

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,
It sure is a nice lloking coach and the price seems great but I have a question.

Have you ever driven a bus before? Do you know anything about air brakes and air suspensions? Do you know anything about Diesel engines particulrily the 8V-92 which is a great engine? Do you intend to service this bus yourself or have it serviced?

If this is your first RV then I would say for you to start smaller and work your way up bujt above all get some experience before you drive a vehicle this size if you haven't driven one before.

The reason I'm stating all tghis as I learned how to drive a bus and there is a lot of things to consider.

Good Luck!
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #21

I'd definitely find somebody who knows the chassis & have it checked out; engine, trans & suspension (which includes air system & fuel delivery). Cheap insurance. Repairs come in increments of $1000 plus some multiple of $500, i.e. its usually $1,500 or more to say hello to a repair yard.

One thing about diesels, once the bugs are wrung out they tend to be fairly maintenance free, but there will be some issues down the road. Let they not be major. Another thing- if you are physically up to it, DIY'ing is generally pretty easy, and fun once you've done your research online. There isn't much a savvy DIY'er can't do on a diesel rig, especially an older one, except bend & crawl at some point.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi,
It sure is a nice lloking coach and the price seems great but I have a question.

Have you ever driven a bus before? Do you know anything about air brakes and air suspensions? Do you know anything about Diesel engines particulrily the 8V-92 which is a great engine? Do you intend to service this bus yourself or have it serviced?

If this is your first RV then I would say for you to start smaller and work your way up bujt above all get some experience before you drive a vehicle this size if you haven't driven one before.

The reason I'm stating all tghis as I learned how to drive a bus and there is a lot of things to consider.

Good Luck!
Well I didn't drive anything bigger than the uhall box truck but we are a big family and I need to make sure that we have enough space specially when we plan to travel at least 7 months out of a year. So I did and still doing a lot of research and a lot of people changed very fast from a small RV to a bigger one like 36' to 40', I would like to get one and keep it specially when I have to do some modification to accommodate our needs.
I will not get on the open road till I'm 100% sure of my driving abilities, I will not put my family or other in danger.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:30 AM   #23

^^^^ I think you are on the right track in honing your driving skills however, I do not think that this coach is for you. You mentioned your large family and traveling for several months at a time. These older conversions have very little actual storage space. Not much room for closets and drawers inside and very little in the baggage bays. I have seen these units used by musicians, Gospel groups and traveling missionaries. In almost all cases, they resort to pulling a trailer for getting the storage they need.

Torsa-lastic suspension is not air. It is basically a rubber bushing suspension. An area that I did not mention is the very real possibility that the fuel tanks will have to be changed at some point, maybe they have been changed but look into it further. because they are nearly impossible to access.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster1 View Post
^^^^ I think you are on the right track in honing your driving skills however, I do not think that this coach is for you. You mentioned your large family and traveling for several months at a time. These older conversions have very little actual storage space. Not much room for closets and drawers inside and very little in the baggage bays. I have seen these units used by musicians, Gospel groups and traveling missionaries. In almost all cases, they resort to pulling a trailer for getting the storage they need.

Torsa-lastic suspension is not air. It is basically a rubber bushing suspension. An area that I did not mention is the very real possibility that the fuel tanks will have to be changed at some point, maybe they have been changed but look into it further. because they are nearly impossible to access.
Yes you are right I don't think it is what we need, it dose have a lot of storage but, I don't want to be limited on places we can visit because of the huge size, we decided to go with a 36-38' three slides.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:35 AM   #25

Is this bus still for sale? Where? Any info? Thanks!
Old 06-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoX-TX View Post
Is this bus still for sale? Where? Any info? Thanks!
The guy sold it.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #27

What a great looking rig!! Congratulations!

04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Unionville, Tn.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote