Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:11 PM   #15
Thanks for the brief engine history lesson. It sounds like if I consider a coach with an older DD in it, I should try to find out where in the Penske improvement plan it fits to get an idea of what sorts of problems I might have. I have seen a few coach ads that say the coach has a Series 60 in it, but not many in our price range. They may be too new for us.

David, kb0zke
Mercury Mountaineer towing mpg 181(both sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 40'
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2012, 10:22 PM   #16
Monaco Owners Club
Most of the old bus conversions use the Detroit 71 and 92 series engines, 8V71, 8V92, etc. Good reliable engines, if you can tolerate the oil leakage and fuel slobbering.

Later bus conversions use the Detroit Series 60 engine. This era of bus conversion is still quite expensive.

Most diesel pusher RVs use 300 to 400 HP engines, mostly Cummins and Cat. In some of the larger, heavier higher end RVs, Cummins and Detroit offer engines in excess of 500 HP.

Jim & Kate
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel
1995 Monaco Dynasty 36', 2005 Honda Pilot
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #17
I absolutely loved the fuel sipping Detroit 60 series in the 2000 Freightliner that I once owned!

I see it quite often powering workover rigs, cement, and frac units in the oilfield.
"Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber." -- Plato
Mikey-KE7LBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #18
I have an 8v92 and i can't quite get 6 mpg
repoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #19
Fleetwood Owners Club
At risk of upsetting some DD owners, I had 60 Series in some OTR trucks. I would sooner have a sister in a house of illrepute than own another one of them.
stuhly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Why do you want your sister to work in a hose of ill repute????

Why do you say that about the DD S-60?
Mike Canter
"Gunner" USN Retired, Airdale
2004 Monaco Signature 44' Conquest. Detroit 60
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #21
Monaco Owners Club
Alot of the old 92 series and 71 series before that were used for stationary power plants as well as truck engines. I ran several 871's and 892's and for the most part they were a gutless engine that was screaming at you all day long. They were harder to crank the power up on than a cummins, but it could be done. I had a 8v92 with the big injectors and a pump from a v 12. It was putting out around 500 hp. It actually got better fuel mileage after it was cranked up. Every one of them was a oil leaker and you had to add oil daily. In a motorhome application you would have to consider the oil leakage and the excessive noise factor. I listened to that screaming for too many years to want to hear it in a MH.
Dennis & Marcie & Hook The Jack Russell, 2001 HR Imperial 38wds 350 Cummins, 07 Chevy Trailblazer/Blue Ox/Ready Brake, 04 Dodge 3500 Cummins,
slickest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #22
Running 15 OTR tractor trailers with series 60, 12.7 and 14.0L. the Detroit series 60 12.7 is the best motor on the market, to me anyways, great fuel economy, parts are cheap, and they are easy to work on. Yes they develop oil leaks just like anything else, but keep up on the maintenance and you Wont have issues. The 14.0L have EGR and are deff not as desirable. Freighliner builds gliders with 12.7 detroits in them because they are so desirable in the market, I've had cats and cummins, both had major problems all the time as well as poor fuel economy and cat parts are flat out a rip off just because the name. I would love to find a bus someday with a 12.7 series 60.
Bmp01550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:20 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

The Bluebirds and Prevosts out of the 90's had the 12.7 DD in them. Also no EGR. I wish I didn't have the EGR on my 14.0L but at least I don't use DEF
Mike Canter
"Gunner" USN Retired, Airdale
2004 Monaco Signature 44' Conquest. Detroit 60
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:00 AM   #24
I drive a heavy haul truck forva living, have for years and am vaguely familiar with big diesel powerplants. My latest truck has the Cummins 600 Signature, its a 2012 model with the whole EGR system and in a years time the truck has had a little over two months downtime, mostly because of tge DPF getting clogged. When you smell antifreeze burning, somehow it winds up there.

In my mind, a bus/mh with a non EGR system is the way to go. Yes, those old Detroit Diesels may have marked their spot, but were strong as heck. And in a non commercial application like a motorhome, one would have to very seriously abuse the motor to do significant damage, and if you did, the motors are so simple and easy to rebuild.

I am a full timer and looking for a new old bus conversion, I am willing to trade a little fuel economy for a power plant that I know is stronger than I will ever need, and should outlast me!
Drill Rig Mover
rigmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:55 AM   #25
Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to whid1
I own a 1990 37' Crown Chassis built by Mitchell a Prima Vista with a V8 3208T Turbo Cat 300 HP. Does anyone else own a Cat and if so what problems can I look foreword to in the future. I know coming up the Baker grade the temp got up to 220 deg and bells and whistles went off, so I pulled over to the side of the road and let her high idle to bring the temp down. The trans temp read 160 deg which I figured was okay. I started off again moving at 45 mph until I got to the top of the grade, once there on the down hill side she cooled down to 190 deg all the way home. Is this normal for Cats? The engine oil was full and tranny. I think I'm going to drain the coolant and change the thermostat in her and make sure her coolant full. I'm open to suggestion and helpful ideas.

1990 37' Vogue Prima Vista DP
whid1 is offline   Reply With Quote