Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2018, 03:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Agree with twinboat. Not only is that engine ancient but it has a very bad habit of puking oil on the ground at startup. Not good....then there is the situation where oil usage is measured in gallons not quarts. Stay away from Detroit 8v-71s.
There is nothing wrong with owning these old engines. There are simply an older technology that still works. Yea, its has its traits that aren't favorable but so does my wife....lol. Biggest challenge I would argue as an issue of these engines are knowledgeable mechanics fluent in the language of 2 stroke diesels.
Charles27909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2018, 03:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Those busses are “city busses “. Meaning they have no basement for storage and equipment. Plus the chassis is geared for city driving. 65mph, not!
This is a highway bus....full luggage compartment.
Charles27909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:34 AM   #17

I worked in the bus business a couple of different times in my career. I would be a lot more concerned about bulkhead corrosion than 8V-71s. In a coach, 500,000 miles was possible between overhauls.
These coaches have no frame in the traditional sense, but a series of aluminum bulkheads beneath the floor. The suspension and the drivetrain are attached to them. I doubt that replacements are still available and the process of replacing one is major surgery.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:34 PM   #18

It’s not really ancient drive train, the AV 71 Detroit diesel was a bullet proof engine. Did leak quite a bit and use oil but it was nice being able to add kerosene in the winter to it and I would run fine. Today’s engines or computer controlled and not a lot of fun. The old engines if you drove them correctly and maintain them would go forever plus you get great fuel mileage out of him today’s new stuff is all computer controlled and a pain in the blank blank blank if you ask me. And I drive shouldn’t run coach buses so personally the older ones are great. I would go for a 4905 also known as a GMC deck and a half or Buffalo bus because it’s a 40 foot not the 35 foot 4107 you were looking at. The extra 5 feet in them not seem like much but believe me it is. If you’re going to find one call look for a 4905 preferably a PD 4905 or an HDH which is the automatic Transit style version. That was made up until 1980. Either way just make sure that the frames are straight the bulkhead behind the engines are straight and the suspension is good without any major leaks in the air beams or anything. Either way that works thanks and they were great Buses. I wish I still had mine
miowname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:35 PM   #19

That is definitely a gorgeous bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
Me too, had about a million miles on it, have worn out several sticks and staples since then.
That is a work of art. I miss mine.
miowname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:02 PM   #20

I know that this thread is old, but for information purposes I thought I'd respond. That little alternator is most likely being used to charge the 12v house battery system. The bus alternator is a large unit being gear driven directly from the engine and putting our a couple hundred amps. It's fairly common to see automotive alternators mounted like that so that the house system can stay charged up.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:17 AM   #21

Busgreasemonkey@youtube is a new GREAT source for DD work.
You can not go wrong with DD. Most leak oil because people use Delo400. You can not do this. Per DD, Delo400 does not meet the minimum requirements for a DD 2-stroke engine (for the minimized ash count of the oil). Delo400 is for 4stroke DD’s.

I highly recommend Schaeffers Oil. 070240-500 is Schaeffers part number for 2stroke DD. Chevron Delo100 O’Reilly part number is 100-4-1CHV; Shell Rotella 40T is T40-1SHE.

Schaeffers will tell you to put 25k on it, or one year, and send them a sample before you change it where they will do an analyzation on it and notify you if it can go another 10-20k or needs to be changed. This can save hundreds of dollars. Commercial trucks are running 100k a year on Schaeffers.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:28 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowAndLater View Post
Busgreasemonkey@youtube is a new GREAT source for DD work.
You can not go wrong with DD. Most leak oil because people use Delo400. You can not do this. Per DD, Delo400 does not meet the minimum requirements for a DD 2-stroke engine (for the minimized ash count of the oil). Delo400 is for 4stroke DD’s.

I highly recommend Schaeffers Oil. 070240-500 is Schaeffers part number for 2stroke DD. Chevron Delo100 O’Reilly part number is 100-4-1CHV; Shell Rotella 40T is T40-1SHE.

Schaeffers will tell you to put 25k on it, or one year, and send them a sample before you change it where they will do an analyzation on it and notify you if it can go another 10-20k or needs to be changed. This can save hundreds of dollars. Commercial trucks are running 100k a year on Schaeffers.
Years ago I was an engine mechanic for a fleet with nearly 100 8V-71 Detroit's. The engines need to be on low Ash oil or they will form deposits on the valve stems. The valve hangs up for just long enough to allow the combustion flame to burn the seat area.
Stick to low Ash 40 weight. You'll be much happier.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:11 AM   #23

Quote:
Agree with twinboat. Not only is that engine ancient but it has a very bad habit of puking oil on the ground at startup. Not good....then there is the situation where oil usage is measured in gallons not quarts. Stay away from Detroit 8v-71s.
The first DD 2 strokes were built in 1938 and the 8v71 in 1957. Production continued until around 1995.

They are one of the most widely produced diesel engines in history.

There are still plenty of folks around that work on them and parts are still available. They were great motors.

Yes, they are known as "Green Leakers" due to their propensity for leaving a calling card everywhere they stop.

I sold my last one around 12 years ago. It's still on the road. When I sold it, it had over 950k miles on it.. It had an inframe at around 600k miles.

As soon as I finish the bus that I am working on now I am going on a quest for another DD two stroke. Nothing wrong with two buses in the Driveway. Right?

I do have some observations that support this. I was doing just fine with two buses in the driveway. When I added a third, the environment at home became somewhat tense. I sold two and things are back to normal.
Pnw_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 03:22 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
They were probably selling it cheap because the drive train is pre-historic...

Good luck shopping.
That's exactly the reason that some of us love these old buses. No high-tech engine controls to get in the way, and the beautiful sound of the DD 2-stroke.

Quote:
Any worn-out engine will do that, not just the DD 2-strokes. It is possible to have a well-maintained engine stay clean. Here's what mine looks like in our 4108, which is also a Buffalo and a slightly updated version of the bus the OP was talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1974 GMC 4108a-125 48.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	269678  
Old 12-17-2019, 01:55 PM   #25
mat

Richard, I'm a little jealous of your clean green.
Mine wasn't quite as pretty, but still ran like a top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blbus 002.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	269711  
Old 12-17-2019, 03:12 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat View Post
Richard, I'm a little jealous of your clean green.
Mine wasn't quite as pretty, but still ran like a top.
Still a great looking engine.

Do you have the double a/c compressor setup in there? If you do, any chance you can post a few photos of how it's installed? I have the single compressor and would like to upgrade one day to the double.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:44 AM   #27
mat

Sorry, only had the single.

Tags
engine