Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2014, 09:22 PM   #1

Is there a best ........

Hi, folks.

I have bus fever and just lost a dream bus 4905, v871, v71 transmission because it wouldn't climb a hill DOGGONE IT.

It retrospect, the transmission was changed to this Allison automatic which replaced the standard shift. I am guessing that attention WAS NOT paid to gear ratios and differential ratios.

I think it had a new air filter so, it is past history now and I am wanting a converted bus.

I am not a young man so I don't want to do a lot of work.

Now, I know I am going to raise the roof on these questions as everyone has their own opinion but I would still like to know the opinions.

What is GENERALLY CONSIDERED THE BEST BUS OR THE BEST CONVERTED BUS.

What is considered the best engine?

What is considered the best transmission?

I want to go up into the mountains to live and need something that will climb.

PRICE? What do I want to spend? Somewhere between 10 and 20 K.
Yeah, I know but I am not rich.

Another goody question: Is there a favored sales outlet that sells conversions?

Opinion on my opinion on why the bus wouldn't climb a hill. Yes, I know, what grade was it, were you starting from dead stop and did you have full tanks and was the moon shining?

I am not asking for metaphysical certitude on any of my questions. I just want to hear what others have to say.

I got it bad, btw.

Thank you.

Ros
rosros is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2014, 09:25 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Allison is generally considered the best tranny

There is a company that makes what they call a Gear Splitter, this is an add on and might help you go up hills.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Allison is generally considered the best tranny

There is a company that makes what they call a Gear Splitter, this is an add on and might help you go up hills.
Thanks, John.

I didn't know they made one for Allison. From what little I know, they are mainly used to give an extra overdrive gear.

I will do some research; I'll bet they are terrifically expensive.

Ros - W5BRY
Old 09-13-2014, 09:45 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have many miles in a 4905. I believe you mean it was changed out to a V730 automatic transmission. There were two gear ratio's for that transmission. The one you want for an RV is the numerically lower number, which will lower your engine speed. Not sure what kind of hill you were on, but if that 730 wouldn't pull it, you sure wouldn't like the manual transmission. They would not start off on steep hills. I've never seen a hill that gave the 730 a problem. They would generally pull hills the manual's would not. On the other hand, if it was as VS-2 transmission, you're right. Those would not start off on steep hills. They were only one speed transmissions with a lock up torque converter. 1st was just the torque converter slipping.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:12 PM   #5

It seems to me that if a transmission has a lower ratio number, it would increase one's engine speed, all other things being equal. If I am not mistaken, one wouldn't want that for climbing grades.
In other words, wouldn't one want the engine to rev high to develop maximum h.p. and torque (not necessarily at the same point on the graph curve as trying to achieve the highest gear ratio.

Am I all wet?

Ros

************ STILL WANTING TO BUY A BUS CONVERSION UNDER 20K.*************
Old 09-15-2014, 11:22 PM   #6

Don't know why the 8v71 would not climb a hill, it should pass most on a good grade. Was the Detroit blown as well as turboed? It may have had blower issues or just needed a good tune!!!
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:08 PM   #7

Thanks for the reply, Stink.

I am under the impression that all 8v71s are supercharged/blown. I am just learning, however.
No, unfortunately, the engine does not have a turbo.

Do you have ideas about why a 4905 would shimmy and wander on the road?

If I can,I will check into what you say about tune up and/or blower issues.

I suppose a dirty air filter could have HUGE consequences on the power of that or any diesel engine.

Thank you for your input.

Ros

Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post
Don't know why the 8v71 would not climb a hill, it should pass most on a good grade. Was the Detroit blown as well as turboed? It may have had blower issues or just needed a good tune!!!
Old 09-22-2014, 08:41 PM   #8

Hmm interesting...We just picked up a 1972 4905 with a V730 Allison, and while we have barely driven it at all (just 2 hours to get it home), it made the climb home totally fine going over a little mountain area (1200 ft). The friend we had drive it said it had a lot of kick off the line, and was impressed with how the transmission handled...

It hasn't been driven in 3ish years, so we had some other minor issues, but (luckily for us?) the transmission doesn't seem to be one of them. If you're still interested in that bus I'd agree with the others suggesting that there may be another issue or simply needs some of the dis-use kicked off it?

Good luck! We've only had our (unconverted) 4905 for about 10 minutes, but we are loving it so far, and have seen some nice conversions in them online. We also like that they were pretty common so parts are findable, and that they have some of the biggest bays around.

There are some busnuts groups on Facebook that seem to post conversions for sale when the members find them. That might be a good place to get leads across the country.

good luck!
Dani
Old 09-24-2014, 11:53 PM   #9

Check the drag link adjustment on the front steering linkage. Open compartment door under drivers window and below the electrical panel just above the floor you will see the pitman arm lower end. Attached is the drag link and the front joint is adjustable. Should have about 1/2" play with engine off and 0 play when you start. The toe should be set at 1/4" pos if an alignment is needed. Check all front end parts for play. Also check rear axle rad arm bushings for wear. Lift the tag to see if wandering gets better, if so check tag toe settings and susp parts for play. A good Detroit tech (old school) can add a turbo and needed injector mods to get you another 100 to 150 ftlbs of torque.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post
Check the drag link adjustment on the front steering linkage. Open compartment door under drivers window and below the electrical panel just above the floor you will see the pitman arm lower end. Attached is the drag link and the front joint is adjustable. Should have about 1/2" play with engine off and 0 play when you start. The toe should be set at 1/4" pos if an alignment is needed. Check all front end parts for play. Also check rear axle rad arm bushings for wear. Lift the tag to see if wandering gets better, if so check tag toe settings and susp parts for play. A good Detroit tech (old school) can add a turbo and needed injector mods to get you another 100 to 150 ftlbs of torque.
Thanks to everyone for all of their comments.

Stink, a lot of what you say is gibberish to this bus newbie. I have great mechanical skills and have built many drag-race engines from the ground up but, a lot of your terms are foreign to me.

If you could explain the terms, it would help me greatly.

Thanks

Ros
Old 09-27-2014, 09:01 PM   #11

Thanks to everyone for all of their comments.

Stink, a lot of what you say is gibberish to this bus newbie. I have great mechanical skills and have built many drag-race engines from the ground up but, a lot of your terms are foreign to me.

If you could explain the terms, it would help me greatly.

Thanks

Ros
Old 09-27-2014, 09:19 PM   #12

The supercharger on a Detroit V series only furnishes an atmosphere (air) for the 2-stroke engine. It can't run without it........later on Detroit added turbocharging to boost power output, it helped but! They are notorious oil leakers because there is no vacuum.......... JB
pivotdoc is offline   Reply With Quote