Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:38 PM   #1

Leyland Double-decker Conversions

As a former resident of the northern British town of Leyland, and very familiar with the buses produced by our major manufacturer (now part of Volvo and no longer located in Leyland), I'd be interested to see if anyone has done a conversion on one of the transverse, rear-engined Atlantean or Olympian double-decker buses. In a 35-footer, you'd get the equivalent of about an 80-foot single-level rig, since upstairs doesn't need to accommodate a driver.

If I was younger than 69 and had the money, I'd sure like to try it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2010, 10:24 PM   #2
csp

Monaco Owners Club
I have not done it but I would love to. Downstairs would be living room and kitchen and the upstairs would be the bedrooms. Most are taller than the 13' 6" limit but there are some that are not. The main problem I see is the upstairs would not be quit tall enough to stand in(1 foot off the ground, 6 inches for flooring, 6 foot 6 inches for ceiling height, 6 inches for the second floor flooring, 1 foot for ceiling and AC units). This only leaves 4 foot of standing room in the upstairs. I guess you could put a pop up roof on it that raises 2 1/2 feet. Just do not forget to drop it down before leaving the campsite.
Chris

Old 08-06-2010, 11:17 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm not seeing two fully complete floors...

more like "lofts" at each end (bedrooms?) with storage or mechanical equipments below and the center area flat with a nice vaulted ceiling... but with good basement storage below.

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:33 AM   #4

With some structures background, I was amazed how Leyland managed to get about 5'10" headroom in both upstairs and downstairs compartments in a 14'6" overall height.

I haven't ridden the newer Dennis buses, which are 14' even. Community Transit in Snohomish Couty (WA) has started taking delivery of a fleet of 24. Victoria (BC) has had them for several years.

The 13'6" "Lowbridge" design would be a problem. On the 13'6" Atlantean, it was stand-up headroom upstairs to about half-way back, then the floor stepped up aboout 9".
Old 09-12-2010, 11:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPursuit View Post
I'm not seeing two fully complete floors...

more like "lofts" at each end (bedrooms?) with storage or mechanical equipments below and the center area flat with a nice vaulted ceiling... but with good basement storage below.

--------------------

dont forget to add a deck on the very top?
Old 10-26-2010, 01:25 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
This one would a lot more fun Double-Double

Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:43 PM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
You might take a look at Sean & Louise's site for info on their 40' Neoplan bus. Not a full two stories, but does have an upper deck.
vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #8

Smile Old timer

I want to find out who converts VanHood DT925 double deck bus conversions to motor homes. Sounds like a great idea!
Old 04-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameshm
I want to find out who converts VanHood DT925 double deck bus conversions to motor homes. Sounds like a great idea!
This unit is the same unit that the BUS uses up and down east coast. Top level is 5' 7" button level is 5'10" for total height of 13' 1". If you went to 13" 6"
You could go 5'10.5" both floors or 14' and go 6' 1.5" on both floor. That would be something.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #10

A county transit agency in Washington State (Snohomish County) has started running a fleet of 24 Dennis 40' tag axle buses. They are 14' high. Victoria (BC) has had these rigs in service for several years.

I haven't heard of any conversions on the Dennis.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #11

A while back while researching bus conversions I ran into this youtube video of a conversion/restoration project on a double decker. Although I can not find the info now I am thinking it is a Bristol not a Leyland. But at least there is someone else thinking about this type of conversion. I am thinking I found this link from either the busnut, bus conversion magizine or skoolie.net sites.

Driving the Double Decker Bus - YouTube

Mike
Old 04-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #12

Thanks for that link, Mike. Yes, definitely a Bristol. Personally, I wouldn't want a half-cab bus like that as an RV. I don't know the Bristol very well, but on half-cab Leylands, there's no communication between driver and passengers.

The older ones are woefully underpowered. Most of them had a 6-cylinder 350 cubic inch engine that only developed about 100 HP. It wasn't until the mid 1960's that rear-engined double deckers with the driver inside with everyone else, and with 600 cubic inch 250 HP engines became the norm.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
I recall in about 1980 meeting up with a touring company that had double decker conversions. They typically had a kitchen downstairs and seating/bunks up. The hauled young people from around the world to visit western National Parks. There might be 10 different languages represented in the 12-15 tourists. The buses were front engine, re-powered for highway use.

A few years later, I met same outfit at a NP that changed to bus conversions with hatches in side that accessed bunks, kitchen was now on slides from basement compartments.

Now, in recent years, I only see these guides with 15 passenger vans and enormous roof racks for luggage and camping gear.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote