Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2003, 05:24 PM   #29

if i understand the original question, he asked about calif law? if you weigh over 26,000 lbs and over 40 ft long you need rv endorsement to standard driving license. my spartan does not need air brake adjustments nor draining of air tanks. that is all automatic. i have found nothing complicated about driving with air brakes. if i want to stop i push on the brake pedal. antiskid takes care of me in wet conditions. no need for more dmv rules it is too complicated now.
tinktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2003, 03:55 AM   #30

Texas Boomers Club
I feel every State (Canada, too) has their own version of what license is required - makes it difficult to figure out. Maybe one of these days one of the major RV publications will publish an article covering license requirements.

CDL. Here in Texas, if your vehicle is over 26,000 pounds GVWR (Motorhome, Bus Conversion, etc) or 26,000 pounds CGVWR (truck pulling a trailer) you need a CDL. BUT there are exemptions to the CDL requirement; RV'ers is one (there are about 5 other exemptions). That said, there is NOT an exemption to having a Class A or Class B license (NON-CDL). I think NC is the same (friend lives there and that is what he found). Oregon requires a CDL for trucks, but no license other than regular drivers license for motorhome (MANY large motorhome manufactures in Oregon).

If the seats are removed from the bus, you would not need a license for driving a bus, BUT you might need another class of license because of the weight.

Most vehicles that have the higher weight rating have air brakes --- normally this is the first thing the license examiner will request you do: an air brake test. If you don't do that properly, you fail.

A lot of detail information is available on-line for each state. Check the Commercial Vehicle section of their Drivers License manual and check for exclusions to the CDL requirement. And, no, I have not checked each state <grin>.. ..

YMMV

Safe travels.

don
Don in E Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 11:16 AM   #31

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's a link that describes the driver license class system in my jurisdication, Manitoba, Canada.
Driver License Class System
It also contains information about classes of license required in USA. This information is found at the bottom of the page. The USA data also contains information about the various types of endorsements that are required under certain conditions.
In Canada, anyone towing a 5th wheel in excess of 10,000 lbs. will require a Class 3 license. If you drive a motorhome with air brakes you'll require an air brake endorsement for whatever class of license you hold. To obtain this endorsement you are required to take a written test as well as a practical test on a vehicle of the same class for which you wish to be endorsed.
By reciprocal agreement, USA considers any Canadian driver license in Class 1, 2 or 3 to be a CDL.
Canuck

2001 F350 PSD EC LB Dually Lariat (SOLD)
2000 Jayco Designer XL 32' 5th with 2 slide outs (SOLD)

Searching for a Class A

300HP Cat 3126E, 6Sp Allison
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:56 AM   #32

I drove from the southern USA to Canada in my Class A and no one mentioned CDL or Endorsement untill a local Canadian asked about such once we were set up.

My answer was endorsements/paper doesnt make you smarter or safer. They were amazed no special lisence (Read Tax) from the govt was necessary. There was talk of the greater safety of 'the public'. My thoughts were ~ I believe if you want to drive one and can buy one, that you can learn what that yellow button is, so you don't kill yourself or others. Contrary to the chicken littles of the world, most people drive safely and well, especially with their pride and joy RVs. This and Glazing a few thousand $ of brakes over the rockies and your wallet will smarten you up quick.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:10 PM   #33

If the bus was purchased by a transprotation company or a person transporting the bus from A to B for an individual for compinsation they would need a Class B, CDL with air brake indorsement. If it where a RV of any type being transported for a manufacture to a rally or show or delivery to a dealer or person, you would need a comperable, CDL.

If it is to be driven from NJ to CA,TX or TN on a temp. transport plate by the purchaser for personal use as an RV, the owner-driver only has to comply with the laws of the state his Drivers license is registerd in.

This vehicle is no longer a commercial carrier vehicle until re-registered as such. It is being transproted as a motor vehicle of a specific size and weight.
All former DOT numbers and affixed fuel stickers must be removed or coverd so as not to confuse the issue or represent fraud to highway diesel cops.
Make sure all marker lights and signals work properly. Stop and turn, etc. DOT says if it is mounted on the vehicle it must operate as designed.
It is advisable to post on both sides Private Coach / NOT FOR HIRE / In-Transport.

Some will say this or that is not needed.
My advice is the better the information the less likely to be hassled.

Make sure the front header sign does not show a destination. If possible have it state private or blank, etc.
No one needs a "P" indorsement unless operating a bus or coach for hire with passangers on-board.
California does require additional licensing to operate, Type A, RV's 41' and over.
Listen to Nick, he has been doing it the longest on this board that I know of.

Get it home. Get it done.
Enjoy and Happy Trails.

Jimmy
FL, Class A CDL/T,X,P,motorcycle also endorsements. Florida combines your tanker and hazmat endorsement together to make "X". Then at the end of it all says "motorcycle also".
MMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:17 PM   #34

In Canada you need an air endorsement on your license. nd contrary to what Tboh posted, it does make your smarter and safer and is not a tax grab. You have to take a 16 hr course learning all the compontents in a braking system, compressor, air dryer, wettanks, valves etc. You also learn about slack-ajusters and how to ajust your brakes basic mass, speed and braking distances of heavy vehicles. You then have to write a written test and do a practical test with a DOT licenser where you have to perforum a start up safety check.
1) Start engine, build air until 90 psi then record the amout of time it take to get to 120 psi (has to be under 3 mins.)
2) Shut down engine and make a full brake app.(90 psi) and hold for 1 min., listen for air leaks.
3) Make several brake app's until low air buzzer sounds (between 60 to 70 psi) and the spring brakes dynamite (around 40 psi)
4)Get out of vehicle and chock the rear wheels and start engine and rebuild air.
5)Release air from spring brakes and get out of truck and ajust all brakes on the vehicle.
6)Get in vehicle reset spring brakes and remove chocks, get back it vehicle and do a stop at 10 kmph to ensure the system is working.

I'm sure there are a lot of big rig RV owner out there that haven't got a clue about their air brake system ... at least in Canada we have some idea how the system should be setup to go down the road safely.
Ron

8V92TA 500 HP /w 6 speed
Prevost82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:34 PM   #35

Actually I meant 'Necessarily Smarter or Safer', all education encourages learning and makes one smarter ...

And true, recurring fees are not taxes, technically. Is this course and test a one time free event in Canada? If so thats a great thing for the government to give to the motoring public.

Best,
Old 07-16-2007, 05:38 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You have to have a license to drive a motorcycle or fly a plane, so why not an endorsement to drive an RV over a certain size.

I see lots of folks out there with 25' trailers or 25' class c's that do not have a clue and they hopefully will learn how to drive the rig with out injuring anyone.

Along the same line, you should have a license to run a power boat over a small outboard motor as well as a sail boat over about 16'.

None of this is a way to collect more money from people, but a way to keep the roads and waterways safer for everyone.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:12 PM   #37

Ken,
We can be licensed to no end and it will make little difference as those that want to drive like idiots still will, it only leads to bigger government.

I think Safety is best generated in the mindset of the operator, not by endorsement as that all too often gets deminished to an enforcement matter and then, a revenue stream for some government entity.

As for community safety on the roads and waterways, boy I wish writen tests would keep DUI's off them. That seems to be the bigest infraction.

Just MHO,
Subject to change at random ,
Old 07-17-2007, 03:11 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I disagree. If they are licensed or had a driving course, at least they would be an educated idiot.

I grew up sailing and racing sailboats and had a very good understanding of the rules and handling boats. After college, I took the Coast Guard Sailing and Seamanship course and it still taught me a lot of fine points. It irritates the heck out of me to see these new boaters turned loose on the water without instruction one.

Problem is a large portion of the population does not have a clue or care to have a clue and the only way to control this is to require licensing for certain activities. Now some of the population is a bit smarter and knows that they do need some help in learning how things are to be done safely. So licensing is for the safety of everyone, not just an inconvenience and to hassle the rest of us.

JM2CW....

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 07-17-2007, 06:11 AM   #39

Ken,
Excellent points. Espeially on the water. ultralighting is the same but the novice or wrong pilot gets the ROW or ,like on the water, gravity rears it's head when egos colide.

Problem is a large portion of the population does not have a clue or care to have a clue and the only way to control this is to require licensing for certain activities.

Large portion, I disagree, but there are a few of them. Met a few myself this month trying to keep the paint on my RV. Mostly of the 18 Wheeler variety and they are all well licensed and regulated.

Me and Ken anre going for a beer!
Old 07-17-2007, 10:09 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll take a stout please. I think we see it pretty much the same way.

Ken
Old 07-17-2007, 04:14 PM   #41

Hi Tboh ... yes it's a one time endorsement for your air ticket. Air brakes are a lot more complex that hyd disk brakes ... I guess the government just wants everyone to know the systems ... but then the RV manufacture come out with hyd over air brake system and you don't need a air endoresment for that, but you can still run out of air on a long grade just as fast as a air system if you don't know how what you're doing.

Canada is also implementing boat endorsements for all size of boats... it also a one time thing. Personaly I think it's a good thing
Ron

8V92TA 500 HP /w 6 speed
Prevost82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:48 AM   #42

SC has a hybrid system. Class A and B are Commercial Class A and B CDL's whereas Non-Commercial are Class E and F which is required for any vehicle over 26,000#. The Class E is for unit only wheras the Class F is for unit plus tow. The Handbook used is the same i.e. the tests are based upon truck including air brakes. The drive test is the same e.g. to get a Class F an RV'er must bring to test a trailer behind the rig and do a docking manuveer.