RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-05-2019, 05:30 PM   #1

Looking for some advice and constructive criticsm

Hello IRV2,

Just joined the group because I'm looking for some advice from others that have "been there done that".

Accidental Love........

A few weeks ago I stumbled onto a 4x4 20 passenger super duty diesel twin turbo shuttle bus with two 40 gallon tanks and deleted DEF. Took it for a test drive and was completlely blown away by the power.

Backstory....

I have no experience with busses or diesels, and had no intention of ever becoming a bus owner or diesel owner up until about 21 days ago. I'm an avid RVer whos owned Class A/B/C, truck camper and 30 foot travel trailer. Currently living full time out of my travel trailer. Which if I am hooked up is literally a penthouse. Dual vanity bathroom, 800 sq feet of living space, massive slideout, tons of storage, solar and useable counter space. Its perfect for me......if I had a permanent destination. Which I don't.

I am always traveling around which means the gas tank is always stealing my money. The rig itself is 30 + feet. Add the truck to tow it and I'm basically a 40-45 foot rig who needs at least a 50 foot parking spot minimum, but 60-70foot parking spot is more realistically required.

This setup does kind of work for urban/city boondocking, but not really. This rig is super comfortable and allows me to carry all of my gear, but I constantly have to be checking with google maps to see what turn around options lie ahead. I am tired of having just enough engine power to move, but not enough trust in my engines power to go wherever I damn well please.

I'm just tired of driving around a mini semi. I am tired of gas being more than 50% of my budget. I am tired of having to compromise on my adventures because of the intended purposes my rig was built for. So back to 3 weeks ago.

Calling around to mechanics to find out if they convert 2wd motorhomes to 4wd i stumbled upon a 4x4 shuttle bus that has more power than I have ever seen sitting in the drivers seat and instantly fell in love.

My dilema......

I have been saving up my money for awhile now so that I could realistically travel around the country for a year without having to work and focus solely on my blog to try and turn it into a viable source of income. Right now I am making $600 a month from sporatic posting (1-2 months inbetween posts), and no focus. The other part of plan was to obtain a Class C through trade or selling my existing camper and buying what was available through the internets inventory.

This gives me a $600 a month income that can only increase, and a rig that is smaller, functional and cheaper. Plus a safety net in savings from not touching it or from replenshing it after the selling of my exisitng camper. And as a bonus I get to finally quit my job that I can't wait to quit.

Unfortunately this new 4x4 bus has monoploized every thought I have had for the last 3 weeks. Its 4x the amount I wanted to spend, and would take every penny I have plus a couple thousand more. Its not turn key, and would require an interior build out. Which honestly I think would be a ton of fun and would give me a lot of great quality content for my blog. But I would also have to keep my job while doing this to afford all thematerials and labor to do what I want to do.

I have no idea what maintenance is required on a diesel engine. I am finding out that some basic maintenance requires a dealership and the removal of the cab to these maintenance tasks. That doesn't sound cheap or budget friendly at all. Building out a blank shell from a metal capsul also isn't going to be easy or cheap. I just don't know which path to choose.

If I buy this 4x4 bus now do I have $2,000 oil changes waiting for me down the road? This engine has a million mile reputation, but does that come with $5,000 alternator swaps and $10,000 transmissions? Do I go after this rig and spend another $5,000-$10,000 making it into a high end RV thats sitting on a 1,000 torque 4x4 chasis with a 1,000,000 mile engine, and only requires me to stay at my soul sucking job for another 6 months?

My original plan was to spend $5,000-$7,000 on a rig and another couple grand on converting it to a 4x4. I have since found out that is completely delusional. From what I could find or where I know to look there are literally only 6 total 4x4 campers for sale on the internet right now in the United States, and only 2 of them are listed below $20,000. There are only three 4x4 buses for sale on the internet and only one of them is listed below $30,000. I have found 3 companies that do 4x4 conversions and the cheapest is advanced 4x4 in Utah who gave me a quote of $12,000 to convert a F550 shuttle bus.

So knowing all that to get this same setupwith any other rig has an entry level of $35,000 for the same engine. And thats a best case scenario that would include finding a smoking deal, and getting the cheapeset 4x4 conversion package possible. Plus would still have to build it out for a liveable space on the interior.

Now if I drop engine sizes to lets say ford f350 or 450 there are plenty of shuttle busses below $10,000. But do they have the same power as an F550 diesel? Does gas engines have as much power as diesels?

There is a chevy c5500 duramax diesel with only 30,000 miles and only asking $12,000 which seems like a smoking deal. but still needs to be lifted, converted and built out. Are chevy engines just as powerful as fords f550?

I want a 4x4 rig. I want to be able to drive on the beach or down a jacked up dirt road with out having to worry about my rigs capabilities. I need a rig that can hold my outdoor adventure gear while also providing a bed, kitchen, bathroom and couch that is laid out in comfortable fashion (***would never consider vanlife***).

This is where the appeal of a shuttle bus instantly jumps to the top of the list. And am a bit confused as to why I have never thought of this before. They are like an RV on steroids. With larger towing capacity, payload capacity, horsepower, engine torque and a fully enclosed metal capsule I don't understand why shuttlebus life isn't more popular than vanlife or rvlife. What is the drawback? Why are not more people building out exploring what short busses have to offer? Everything that you would get in a $100,000 class b motorhome you could get for under $30,000 with a shuttle bus.

With a shell that is tall enough for me to stand up in without hititng my head and to wide for me to touch the sides with my outstretched arms. And as a bonus some of these things come with luggage rooms off the back that could easily dub as a gear room, shower room, generator room or whatever room seperated from your living space.

I run an RV blog. I am an RV guy. But I am seriously questioning why...... right now? Instead of buying an RV that resourced the cheapest materials possible to build I could buy a rig that is already 4x4 capable and possess's an engine that would allow me to build using 2x4's & 4x4's if I wanted toooooooo instead of 2x2's, particle board, staples and glue.

Please help me figure out why I can't get this stupid bus out of my head, because its wrecking my plans!

J1GSAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2019, 01:28 AM   #2

I admire your big dreaming, but your plan sounds pretty unrealistic. Most of us have soul sucking jobs. That’s part of being a responsible adult.

I suspect you are avoiding basic problems in your life, by running away in a RV. But remember “Wherever you go, there you are.”

Settle in, save enough money to do your project without stressing. Good luck.

Ron750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron750 View Post
I admire your big dreaming, but your plan sounds pretty unrealistic. Most of us have soul sucking jobs. That’s part of being a responsible adult.

I suspect you are avoiding basic problems in your life, by running away in a RV. But remember “Wherever you go, there you are.”

Settle in, save enough money to do your project without stressing. Good luck.
Guess you have never heard of long term travel, international backpacking, gap year............

Running away from something......maybe i am maybe in not but the question presented is why isnt bus life more popular because after traveling tge world since 1998 and full timing in an rv since 2010 a shuttle bus seems to fit the requirements i want in a full time adventure rig more than an rv, camper, travel trailer, backpack or employee housing at seasonal gigs like ski resorts national parks cruise ships or summer resorts.

But thanks for letting me sit on your couch doc

Oh by the way tge blogs up to $1100 last month & already at $980 this month with only $560 spent in last 3 weeks.

So i guess lofty and unrealistic was definitely an accurate assumption on your part.
J1GSAW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice