Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2017, 08:37 AM   #1

MPG For Converted School Bus

We are considering buying a converted school bus for an RV. This interests us due to the fact that they're usually custom built with higher quality materials than a manufactured RV. We're probably looking at arounbd 30'.
I know that there are a lot of factors that determine fuel mileage and we're not expecting an exact figure. Just wondered what other people who own skoolies are getting in their rigs. If it's too low we can rule it out. Thanks for your help.
K9BEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2017, 03:36 PM   #2

I'd agree with the assumption that a commercial vehicle (ex: BlueBird) will indeed be built on a substantial chassis w/ sturdy coachwork.
You didn't mention the type of fuel used, either of which offers benefits and drawbacks.
Generally speaking the nature of stop and go driving that School buses are subjected to they are probably geared on the steeper final drive side. Meaning at expressway speeds the engine is revving near the upper limits of operation. I'd "guess" 7-10 mpg
But, I wouldn't think any rolling living quarters gets "good" fuel mileage.
We're all subject to compromises. Opting for stout makes good sense.

Best of luck in your quest.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:50 PM   #3

Any other skoolie owners that can weigh in here? It's an important decision to make and need feedback from others who own skoolies. We want to make a decision by mid September when they have the RV show in our area. Any other suggestions are welcome as we're not decided on what we want.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:32 AM   #4

The answer is "depends"...it is based on many factors.

This may help. I found it with a really quick search on google..

What kind of mileage do you get? - School Bus Conversion Resources
Old 07-18-2017, 07:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
The answer is "depends"...it is based on many factors.

This may help. I found it with a really quick search on google..

What kind of mileage do you get? - School Bus Conversion Resources
Thank you. That was what I was looking for. Very helpful site.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:59 PM   #6

I'm a skoolie
Full size bus , t444e diesel with a at545 tranny
Using my scan gauge we get average 7-10 mpg that's running around 94 kilometres per hour , seems to be the sweet spot.
Now with that being said head wind tail winds , hills, traffic all will make a difference
gbstewart
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:49 PM   #7

I had a 1990 Bluebird 74 passenger, 6.0L (5.9L?) and I believe a 4 speed Allison. It was converted into a mobile carpenters shop with lots of heavy tools and a small "Effiency studio living quarters" up front. Had nearly 200k on it when converted but didn't expect to drive it terribly far as most of the work I was doing tended to be on the west coast and it often sat on a job site for several months at a time. Got moved around pretty frequently but only a couple miles. As best as I could determine it was getting nearly 9 mpg but there was a lot of idle time to keep batteries charged initially. Finally put a couple bucks into a trickle charger from Harbor Freight and I tried to simply start it weekly to keep engine exercised. Kept it for six years before I managed to get a super deal on an apartment complex in 2009 that fell out of a failed real estate deal. Spent a year doing upgrades and flipped it. That was my last real job. Gave it to a helper who was very dedicated and he deserved it. Got a 2010 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH to replace it and now I travel and do minor carpentry work for people in RV parks as I fish and hike National Parks.

I'm trying to find pictures of it but not sure where I might have them. It was not pretty but very practical and worth its weight in gold. Sort of an ugly duckling that you wouldn't waste time taking pictures of but it was sure handy. Miss the Yellow Lumber Pile as it was affectionately called.
Mrb1ll is offline   Reply With Quote