Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
Member
 
koresample's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 95
Need some input -'converting a class a'

Hi, we have a 99 Newmar Mountain Aire 4080DP and are about to embark on 'converting' to our tastes (read: complete gut and makeover). I have been searching the MH forums for people that have done this and come up empty so figured I would try my luck here. I am looking to get feedback on shops to do the work in either British Columbia (live in Vancouver) or Washington State and some idea of the approximate costs. We want to do a top to bottom reno-new vinyl ceiling (currently carpet), similar to ceiling sidewalls, new floors, lighting, Ikea kitchen, residential shower (probably involve moving an interior dividing wall), vanity and similar work to the bedroom. We are not looking to do all remote controlled blinds and lighting etc, nor heated floors (just good quality tile). This is going to be the unit we spend 6 months of the year in and are not doing this in an attempt for resale. We live in a modern contemporary condo and are looking to re-create the same look in our coach. Our thought is that by not going custom for anything (other than the shower) and using as many residential type cabinets (like the IKEA for the kitchen) we may be able to do this for about $20k. Is that unrealistic?
__________________

__________________
koresample is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Washington
Posts: 482
You might talk to Maple Park RV Sales in Everett Wa. Their principal business is fixing up auction RVs for resale but my brother said they were looking into doing projects like yours. Yes, my brother drives for them part time and his wife manages the RV park. I cannot state an opinion as to quality or cost since I have not actually done business with them.

It at least may give you a place to stsrt.
__________________

__________________
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
Member
 
koresample's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupevilleDF View Post
You might talk to Maple Park RV Sales in Everett Wa. Their principal business is fixing up auction RVs for resale but my brother said they were looking into doing projects like yours. Yes, my brother drives for them part time and his wife manages the RV park. I cannot state an opinion as to quality or cost since I have not actually done business with them.

It at least may give you a place to stsrt.

Thanks CoupedevilleDF!
__________________
koresample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
thomask's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 100
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by koresample View Post
Hi, we have a 99 Newmar Mountain Aire 4080DP and are about to embark on 'converting' to our tastes (read: complete gut and makeover). I have been searching the MH forums for people that have done this and come up empty so figured I would try my luck here. I am looking to get feedback on shops to do the work in either British Columbia (live in Vancouver) or Washington State and some idea of the approximate costs. We want to do a top to bottom reno-new vinyl ceiling (currently carpet), similar to ceiling sidewalls, new floors, lighting, Ikea kitchen, residential shower (probably involve moving an interior dividing wall), vanity and similar work to the bedroom. We are not looking to do all remote controlled blinds and lighting etc, nor heated floors (just good quality tile). This is going to be the unit we spend 6 months of the year in and are not doing this in an attempt for resale. We live in a modern contemporary condo and are looking to re-create the same look in our coach. Our thought is that by not going custom for anything (other than the shower) and using as many residential type cabinets (like the IKEA for the kitchen) we may be able to do this for about $20k. Is that unrealistic?
That sounds like a great plan. I hope you will keep us posted on progress.
__________________
Remember, it's not always the destination,
it's the journey. So let's go...
thomask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 763
Have friends who have had work done at Infinity Coach in Sumner (just east of Tacoma) and were extremely pleased. I also talked to a guy we met on the road that has had minor repair work done there and was happy at the prices. He said that although they bill themselves as "luxury motorcoach specialists," they do all kinds of RV repairs on any RV. Both told us that they are very willing to give free consultations and estimates.

Infinity Coach | Your Expert Luxury Motorcoach Specialist


-harry
__________________
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
Member
 
koresample's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 95
Thanks, I will check them out!
__________________
koresample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Mitchyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 323
Go talk to Joel and Grandpas RV in abbotsford they do awesome work and are efficient as well as reasonably priced I've seen some really neat units come out of there
__________________
Mitchyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:46 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,379
I don't think the Ikea cabinets will last in a MH! The ones we've bought are no where near the quality of the Newmar ones. Paper covered pressboard just won't hold up.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Les Stallings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: South of Nashville, TN
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I don't think the Ikea cabinets will last in a MH! The ones we've bought are no where near the quality of the Newmar ones. Paper covered pressboard just won't hold up.
What he said!!!!

It seems you are not familiar with the beating a RV takes while traveling down the road. It is like an earthquake that never quits, until you park it.

$20K is not very much for a remodel. You will find that so much of the work has to be custom due to the very nature of an RV.
__________________

__________________
Les Stallings
2006 Monaco Signature -45' Castle IV
All-Electric, Cummins ISX-600
Les Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.