Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #1

new guy to the forum with question

Looking into a MCI 9 Crusader II that a guy has for sale. It needs some redoing on the inside but for what I have been seeing out there thats for sale, this bus is in nice shape. I wanting to ask a engine problem. It has the 6v92 tubro and it starts right up but with white smoke. Now the owner told me that this happen out on the road and he had the bus towed back home as he knew there was a water leak problem. At first he had replaced the manifold on the left side and thats where the leak is at. Then he thought it was the water pump. So he had a Detroit diesel mechanic come out and look at it and told the owner that it was from a striped bolt into the head and the best and cheapest way would to put in a Heli coil. That would seal up the leak. Now I would like to buy the bus but this worries me. Especially when you want to hit the road. That is the last thing a guy wants is a break down out in the middle of no where
riden2low is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Thumbs down

White smoke coming from the exhaust is normally water leaking into one or more combustion chambers. The water vapor should disappear soon after leaving the exhaust pipe. Most such leaks can usually be repaired, but sometime cannot.

A qualified professional needs to pressure test the cooling system in order to determine where the leak is actually located.

You state the mechanic said the leak is from a "bolt into the head". Does this mean an actual head bolt or maybe a manifold bolt into the head?

A heli-coil is not difficult to install, but is rather labor-intensive.

At this point, any repair done by a good professional will be rather expensive. Amateur attempts will only add to the problems.

Unless he is giving the coach to you for free, my suggestion is to pass on this rig. With the interior issues as-well-as the engine, You are probably going to end up spending a lot of money. There is always something better out there.

I don't mean to sound "preachy" here but I was a mechanic for more than 45 years and have an old Winnebago with $9k in it and it will never be worth more than $1500.00.

gaugeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:49 PM   #3

thanks for getting back to me garageguy. Yes the white smoke is water getting into the cylinder. And bolt is suppose to be the manifold bolt. Would this bolt happen to have punched thru into the water jacket? The bus is a 1983 MCI 9 and the inside is livable but a new owner usually changes a few things. The owner is willing to let the coach go for 5000.00 and he is doing the repairs. I am just hoping that he does it right. He has owned the coach for 10 years now. He seems to very knowledgeable about the bus. At least to me for be a newbie on these things, it was mind boggling as how much info he was throwing at me about the bus.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Unlikely the bolt punched a hole into the water jacket in the head. However, the manifold does contain it's own water jacket which is supplied through the head. The gasket between the two must be correct and torqued to specs. A bolt tightened with an air wrench is a no-no!
An intake manifold bolt which cannot be properly torqued (i.e. stripped threads) would invite coolant into the intake/cylinder via the leaking gasket.

$5k. I don't know. A lot depends on mileage, transmission, tires and overall condition of critical things like roof and seams.

Good luck with your decision.

gaugeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:38 PM   #5

Well I passed on the bus. Found out it had cracked head. 7000.00 for repairs. The owner must of got it pretty hot so no telling what else was was damage on the engine. But it was a decent looking bus on the out side.

Tags
forum