Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2018, 07:26 AM   #57

I just looked a used Newell Coaches 2010 to 2012 with under 50k on the odometers and they are priced in the 500k range on RV Trader for sale by owner section.

No doubt a Newell is a fantastic, very well built coach but a 700k hit in 7 years, wow! I guess if you are a billionaire and have money to flush down the toilet then ok. Even at 500k considering it will not fit most places we take our already too big 35 foot class A, 500k is a crazy number.
I love RV's and we use ours, (2, 10,000 mile cross country trips) and use at least 10 time a year. To think I was felling bad about loosing 60k on our Winnebago if we sold it today. But we will keep our money in stock and real estate where it at least there is a chance it will grow. Wining the lottery and buying 2 million dollar coaches is a fun dream I will admit!
millsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2018, 08:34 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustybob View Post
In order to get that spacious interior, something has to give, and that is the storage space under. If you are young, it is tolerable to crouch down and duck your head, but I can tell you that being 6'5", this is decidedly NOT fun.
I'm not sure I agree with your first sentence. Basement storage was a top priority for us, so I measured a lot of them. The only setup with more basement was Prevost H3-45.

Now, ducking down to access with slides out... sure. But that's an issue on any coach with slides that are tall enough to walk in.

Quote:
If you study the sink carefully, there is not an inch more counter space than any other coach, so this is one of the coaches where one eats in restaurants.
Every Newell is custom, and there are a lot of starting-point layouts they design from. There are some with a lot of countertop, and there are some where it is pretty broken up or there is not as much usable surface. You can find one with whatever kitchen size you want, within reason.

I can tell you that for our full-time family, we do a lot of boondocking, and we cook in our kitchen pretty much every day. (And we also love restaurants!)

Quote:
I'm not saying that my coach is perfect, but I paid significantly less and have a very equally nice coach. All that glitters is not gold.
Country Coach made some great machines, and there's no question one gets good value for money with them. At the same time, there are some objective, substantial differences between them and Newell coaches. You do in fact get what you pay for.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:55 AM   #59

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickinuk View Post
I have a 2009 Newell, got it about 5 months ago. I don't have a long experience with other coaches, I just know I love this one!

- Despite the age & 110,000 miles all the doors and cupboards close like they are new, pretty impressive considering some of the cupboards have curved doors.

At the end of the day its personal choice though. We flew to California, Arizona, Louisiana, Texas, and Florida looking at Foretravel and Newell coaches before finding the one. It's the downside of customer coaches. Would love to have the $2M spare in this lifetime so we can customize our own new coach.
We love Newells and came close to buying a used one. But we got nervous when we heard regular maintenance costs can be $5,000/year! Is that really true?
Old 07-27-2018, 11:49 AM   #60

Entegra Owners Club
If you are worried about spending $5,000/yr for maintenance, a Newell is not for you. Like the old yacht brokers used to say, "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it."
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 12:28 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsrv View Post
I just looked a used Newell Coaches 2010 to 2012 with under 50k on the odometers and they are priced in the 500k range on RV Trader for sale by owner section.

No doubt a Newell is a fantastic, very well built coach but a 700k hit in 7 years, wow! I guess if you are a billionaire and have money to flush down the toilet then ok. Even at 500k considering it will not fit most places we take our already too big 35 foot class A, 500k is a crazy number.
I love RV's and we use ours, (2, 10,000 mile cross country trips) and use at least 10 time a year. To think I was felling bad about loosing 60k on our Winnebago if we sold it today. But we will keep our money in stock and real estate where it at least there is a chance it will grow. Wining the lottery and buying 2 million dollar coaches is a fun dream I will admit!

I agree... that’s what makes a entegra so economical...
You get high end feel with a lot of upgraded equipment with out breaking the bank... definitely the nicest coach for the money... Newell is a beautiful coach and if you can afford one then that’s great.. but for the masses entegra is the perfect medium point...
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 12:42 PM   #62

Newell coach

Hands down I think for me Newell has the nicest interiors. I watch all the Marathon videos and most of there interiors are not to my liking. I have yet to see a prevo ordered with lithium and solar as I would, I'm a big fan of Millinum for there electronics.
kg6vvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:50 PM   #63

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Am enjoying following this. As we are currently RV-less we have been looking at Entegra CornerStone and Newmar Essex and King Aire. I agree with several above that Newell is at the absolute top of it's class. The biggest deterrent to me is the Cat Engine and the ZF manu-matic tranny that are in the year range that we can afford. So glad they went to the Cummins ISX with the Allison. That being said I recently was made aware of the Foretravel and plan to check them out.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:59 PM   #64

The CAT engine seems to be considered pretty reliable. You should be able to find some with the Allison as well; both were used for many years.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:09 PM   #65

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebster View Post
The CAT engine seems to be considered pretty reliable. You should be able to find some with the Allison as well; both were used for many years.
My understanding was that anything with the Cat also had the ZF. Is that not true?
Old 07-27-2018, 07:44 PM   #66

When I was a kid, we’d get a scoop of Ice Cream from the local Thrifty Drug Store. It was good, and well it was Ice Cream so how bad can it really be?

Later in life I discovered things like Haagen-Dazs. Also Ice Cream, but on a different level.

Since then I’ve learned my wife doesn’t like the rich butter fat in Haagen-Dazs.

Proof that there will always be ample room in any given market for a vast array of options.

I frankly don’t care if someone is camping in a tent, a Prevost, or anything in between. I am thankful we all have the ability to discuss the merits of these delightful toys. I’m also thankful we live in a country where we have these choices, and the ability to earn them.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:32 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNewbie55 View Post
My understanding was that anything with the Cat also had the ZF. Is that not true?
Right, that's not the case. Even the DD series 60 in the older ones was sometimes mated with the Allison.

I'm not sure the exact numbers, but my sense is that there are more CAT+Allison than CAT+ZF. No one really liked the ZF feel, I guess.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:20 PM   #68

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by millsrv View Post

Instead of looking at the dollar loss/depreciation....
Look at the % rate instead..I believe you will discover that your Entegra has the same or even greater % depreciation factors..
It's all just a matter of scale of purchase
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 01:05 AM   #69

Entegra Owners Club
used Newell

I have seen some of the prices on the Newell used site and they seem rather stiff! has anyone dickered with them on a lower price or do they think it's a take it or leave it quote? just asking as we are considering the King Aire 2019
but just love Newell's.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:19 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurninDiesel View Post
I have seen some of the prices on the Newell used site and they seem rather stiff! has anyone dickered with them on a lower price or do they think it's a take it or leave it quote? just asking as we are considering the King Aire 2019
but just love Newell's.
Yes, they are quite negotiable.