Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2018, 09:28 AM   #99

Our last annual Newell PM Service was right at $3,100 and that included all coach, chassis, and generator filters ( except transmission and air filter), an Aqua Hot service, and a going over of the coach checking things that only the factory knows might need checking. Obviously any replacement items such as tires and batteries or unplanned repairs would increase the annual coast, but based on oil change intervals, most people we know could easily get by with a service every 18 months, so the cost to adequately maintain the coach (unless something breaks or needs replaced) works out to around $2,000/year over a three year period. People can decide for themselves whether the cost of the trip to and from the factory is a cost, or just another RV trip.
cinitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2018, 11:12 AM   #100

Newell

without a doubt a Newell has to be the finest RV on the road. The salesmen at the RV shows will admit off the record a pre owned Newell is a better RV than most of the new models being produced.
Useitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:00 PM   #101

Entegra Owners Club
We are here in Dallas and decided on the Newmar King Aire after a lot of soul searching between it and a used Newell. It came down to in order for the Newell to compete at the same price point there were too many upgrades I got in the king Aire compared to a five year old high mileage Newell with outdated electronics and safety features. Just the Engineer in me, i guess! Stay Safe!
Old 03-21-2019, 09:00 AM   #102

maybe a dumb question: Is FT unabody? or is it a box on a chassis?
Old 03-21-2019, 09:50 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickinuk View Post
Newell maintenance is expensive. I’ve just had an estimate from them of $3,200-3,500. That’s based on going in for an annual service and doing all the usual stuff, including chassis, coach, aquahot, etc. I’m going to them because they know the whole coach inside out. I may save money having Caterpillar service the engine, a bus company service the ZF (they are quite common in passenger busses). But it’s the whole coach that needs looking at. I’m an ex-mechanic so I could do most of it, but I’m full-time and don’t want to risk finding I need extra tools or parts when I’m days away from a move day.
First year maintenance on our Dutch Star, with EVERYTHING done that Spartan chassis recommends, including all the Cummins filter changes and liquids, plus the generator, Oasis, and 2 roof AC's, will be pushing $3000.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:32 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark71 View Post
maybe a dumb question: Is FT unabody? or is it a box on a chassis?
Believe all Foretravels up to 2013 or so used a monocoque or unibody type of chassis made in house. The current IC-37, IH-45, and Realm are built on a Spartan chassis. The new Prevost Conversion is of course, Prevost.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:13 AM   #105

Okay.
Decision made. Prevost or Newell.

Its going to be a 2020 Newell. I think its better overall than a Prevost for a family hauler. Love the fact that I can customize it far more than a Prevost. My kids are small so I'll tone down the expensive furnishings for now.

I figure if I'm going to get into the RV lifestyle might as well do it right. My only challenge is waiting for the build. Hope I can get her done by the first of the year.
DKB218NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:20 AM   #106

Congratulations DBK!

Newell's are beautiful coaches, I know it was hard to make a decision.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:39 PM   #107

I would seriously consider a used coach. Newell typically has a few available and even had a bunk model recently.

You would save the summer travel season and several dollars.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:51 PM   #108

Good choice.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:31 PM   #109

Oops... sorry, mean't to say 'DKB'

When you are spending close to $2M (or more), you have to decide what is perfect for you and apparently this coach fits your needs. Newell has been in business for many years and provides a service and coach design that fits an upper clientele or they wouldn't be in business.

Again, safe travels and enjoy the fun of building your new coach!
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:18 AM   #110

Congrats on your decision DKB218NYC,

You can't go wrong with either Prevost or Newell, both coaches will last much longer than your initial ownership. It's a hard choice to make.

Have fun designing and awaiting delivery of your new coach!!!

We just took delivery of a 2020 Newell and can tell you that the new cockpit configuration is both functional and good looking, and the new lower gear ratio makes it even more of a beast on the hills.
cinitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:57 AM   #111

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
If we all had Newall's there would be nothing to complain about. I'll bet the Newall forum doesn't have a "Show us Your Mods" thread.
But they do! And the group is awesome about cosmetic and all sorts of repairs, upgrades and things like that. They are the nicest, most open and welcoming group you'll ever meet! By all means check them out! Newell Gurus
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:37 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSJC View Post
But they do! And the group is awesome about cosmetic and all sorts of repairs, upgrades and things like that. They are the nicest, most open and welcoming group you'll ever meet! By all means check them out! Newell Gurus
Agree. Newell owners equally share the good points and bad points of their coaches. Newell's are some of the best built coach's made, but they are not judgemental like some other coach owners. Have have Newell's, Foretravel's, busconversions, and other coaches, but Newell is still my favorite.