RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:09 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
Mark, I wonder if AWARE would have reacted to this situation.
I have the same question as Gil. The pickup in the video was sitting stationary on the Interstate, at night. Would the AWARE system have given the Prevost driver enough warning (at night) to avoid the pickup?

A stationary/stopped or extremely slow (2 to 5mph) vehicle on the highway presents a very different challenge to the driver (and probably the AWARE system) a vehicle that is going 10 or 20 or 30mph slower than the Prevost.

I expect Mr. Mark's Prevost is equipped with 2014 state of the art headlights vs the 1999 technology on our Prevost. At what speed are we (Mr. Mark, Gil, and ourselves) over driving our headlights i.e. at what speed at night do we have enough visual warning of a stationary object/vehicle at night to react and bring the coach to a stop or avoid the obstruction? 70mph? 60mph? 35mph?

Maybe there is something in Mr. Mark's documentation about how the AWARE system reacts to a stationary object on the road head.

Dick in Wisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2018, 10:44 AM   #30

Guys, it will probably be early January before I'm back in the coach again. Spending the holidays in the sunny California desert.

One thing that did happen (I reacted before the AWARE system), driving west towards Albuquerque, I was in the right lane going about 65 mph and a GM van passing me pulled in front. Then they realized that a truck was going extremely slow in a 75 mile zone. That is truly like a stopped vehicle. The truck driver had his flashers on but they weren't that visible (non LED lights).

As soon as I saw the van brake lights, I hit my brakes too. Thank goodness the retarder kicks in the moment I hit the brake pedal at a full level 6. As I passed the trucker (I noted he was going 20 mph), he was looking down at his phone (I think) oblivious to the major danger he was causing. He certainly should have been driving in the emergency lane.

(This was not an emergency stop for me) I checked my options (at a blink of an eye) and could have used the emergency lane myself if needed. It's in situations like this that every inch counts if needed. My 4,200 lb. towed will not push me as it has supplemental braking from Air Force One.

Safe travels! And be AWARE!

Old 11-19-2018, 11:37 AM   #31

Foretravel Owners Club
IF the time ever comes that we choose to replace our Foretravel.. A Newell or Provost conversion will be at the top of the list...
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:44 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
IF the time ever comes that we choose to replace our Foretravel.. A Newell or Provost conversion will be at the top of the list...
And if you ever do that...be sure to let me know so I can come and take that old good for nuffin' Foretravel off your hands!
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:02 PM   #33

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
And if you ever do that...be sure to let me know so I can come and take that old good for nuffin' Foretravel off your hands!
...Normally keep a rig for 20 to 25 years.......... will be awhile yet

saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote