Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2007, 07:03 AM   #1

Is a Newell built on a bus chassis or is it purpose built? I don't want to say "built like a motor coach." like it's a bad thing, but MCI, Silver Eagle, Prevost, are all built on a million mile chassis. If you took out all the fancy stuff you'd still have the "bus" ride with a Prevost. Has anybody compared?
Farmerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2007, 08:26 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
See # 6 in the list:
The Newell Advantage
Top 10+1 Reasons to Buy a Newell

1. More spacious, more livable interiors. Up to four slide-out rooms manufactured by Valid.
2. A smoother, more comfortable ride than any other motorcoach of its type. State-of-the-art ZF coach suspension.
3. Easier handling and tighter turns than any other coach its size. An active-steering tag axle.
4. Superior horsepower and torque. Caterpillar C15 power with an extra 110 horsepower and 400 lb./ft. torque compared to the competition.
5. A sleek exterior with European refinement and flair. Styled by Porsche Design.
6. Top-quality construction with extensive opportunities for customization. A body and chassis built for their purpose; not a bus conversion.
7. Tasteful amenities and custom-made decor and cabinetry that make travel elegant as well as easy.
8. Newell's legendary customer support, including a 24/7 service hot-line.

Newell Web Site

Glenn
Old 06-28-2007, 11:42 AM   #3

Thank you.
When i browse a websight, i never know where to look for real specs. It's hard to find what's food and what's fluff.
Farmerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 04:04 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
10-4 on the thank you. You are very welcome.

Glenn
Old 06-29-2007, 09:46 AM   #5

All of the manufactures you have mentioned are not built on chassis. The are built in a style called monocoque construction. This is better known to the laymen as una-body.
This is what gives passenger busses their strength and large open storage capacities.
Because metal framed busses have no back bones or parallel frame members the strength is through out the box. This is similar to the Eiffel effect or crane box engineered design. This also gives the entire bus roll over protection to a greater extent than fastening a box or house onto a chassis.
Newell is also of monocoque construction.
Newell will be more than happy to design a passenger or executive bus for you.
Newell has designed, four slides into its motor house construction. Prevost offers two factory slides in the XL and three in the H-3.
Before this the early Prevost with slides where aftermarket and not authorized by the manufacture. Some of the aftermarket installations caused the steel members to crack. There are know cases of early Prevost RV's breaking in half because of the slide installation.
Today Prevost offers factory designed and installed slides for the RV and Entertainment industry.
Hope this additional explanation helps.
MMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:29 PM   #6

I shouldn't jump in here but ....
Prevost are a little over built for the RV market, IMO. They are made to run 100's of miles day, day in and day out for millions of miles. Rv'ers will never put this many miles on.

I own a Prevost because of the safety aspect .... you & your family will survive most accidents, if you remain inside, and will live to tell about it. There are very few coaches build other than Prevost, MCI and Bluebird (Wonderlodge) that have a track record to back this up.

I've never seen a Newell entertainer coach, only MCI's and Prevost and Prevost dominate that market, why because they can run 90 MPH all night and day safely ...Eagle buses are being built again in Texas so we'll see how they make out.

I would say the interiors design and sytems equipment on a highend Newell and converted Prevost are about the same. I'm not a slide guy ... I live outside most of the day and if I can live outside because of the weather, I move to where I can.

As my handle states my Prevo is an 82 ... I doubt that an 82 Newell with 1.5 million miles on it would look this good ... I think of it as my bus is now in it's retirement years (RV, it was a highway coach) the long hard fast miles are behind it ...well the long hard miles

Ron

On edit ... if you get to drive one you will know why they are King of the Road .. they are rock solid at any speed in any wind.... even my 25 yr old coach.

8V92TA 500 HP /w 6 speed
Prevost82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:12 PM   #7

Ron, that is one nice looking bus. I am green with envy.

Retired Navy (ETCS/SW/AW)
Carnles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:24 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Amen to Prevost 82. Mine is only ten years old and so far I am impressed. We have only owned it for three years, but I would rather drive my bus than any than anything I have ever owned.

My only complaint would be that the headlights are not adequate, but they weren't on my Holiday Rambler either. I can drive with high beams on and nobody seems to notice.

If any other Prevost owners read this and have a solution to the headlight problem, I would love to hear from you, preferably by private message.
big jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:05 AM   #9

Big Jimbo:
I think that headlight issue got sorted out on:
www.prevost-stuff.com
or
www.prevostownersgroup.com
Also, I know the Bluebird folks have worked a fix whereby all four of the headlights are on low beam.

Jim Scoggins
Jim Scoggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:15 AM   #10

One notable difference between the two. The Newell (some, anyway) has a dealy whereby the differential can be locked into a direct drive. Handy for them when they are trying to get stuck!

As I see it, a plus on the Prevost is a the six service centers through out the US. Plus, many local bus companies are certified repair facilities. While most places worthy of working on buses would be able to handle a Newell I suspect the working folks would be readily familiar with the Prevost. I do know that Newell has a super hotline sevice and presume they would have places around the US they refer folks to for repairs.

Jim Scoggins
Jim Scoggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:56 PM   #11

FYI, the 2008 Prevost model year will offer a VOLVO diesel engine. Volvo being the second largest manufacture of large diesel engines on the planet. VOLVO BUS being the control management behind Prevost. Then there is FORD.
There are shops around the country already requesting to be certified by Prevost as VOLVO Powerd coach service centers. The first being in LA.

Did you know the diesel engine was never designed to run on fossil fuel?
Rudolf Diesel always intended the engine to run on Peanut Oil.
edited to show peanut oil instead of Soy bean oil.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:04 PM   #12

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm now there is something other than a "Detroit" for power, do I see a Prevost in Mousers future?
Old 09-06-2007, 09:40 PM   #13

We are looking. I don't want to be the first buyer in any case.
Triple slides and the possibility of four is far beyond what we want to account for.
From exspierience only one out of twenty builds has fit our picture of excellance.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:38 AM   #14

Well you will just have to get a company to build it for yall, JUUUUUst like yall waant it. (While you watch over them with your tire billy firmly in hand )