Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
as a first time MH'er I also did a lot of research. I was going to buy a Cornerstone until I saw some more innovative floorplans. The Prevost you found is a beauty but the floor plan with dual sofas facing each other has become passť to me. And the windows in the Prevost are amazing. But insure you have enough cabinet space for the things you live with day to day. Also windows are not the best insulators.

One thing that the Prevost has in its favor - 40'. I have a 45' Zephyr and although its roomie - 40' would have been fine for me. The cornerstone is 45' and just saying the maneuverability will be its weight in gold, especially as a first timer.

Definitely have mechanic check it out and definitely drive both. its worth the flight to Texas.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #16

I sold a quad slide 2008 Beaver Contessa 42 and bought a 99 prevost converted by Country Coach without slides and love it. Prevost Ft Worth will do an inspection for you, but many systems are converter specific. You should consider a converter or someone converter knowledgeable to do the inspection. You will want Prevost Ft Worth to do an inspection of the sides to see if it needs the delamination fix. The fix takes about 3 weeks, after approval by Prevost Canada. Check out www.prevostownersgroup.com www.prevost-stuff.com and www.prevostcommunity.com .

ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #17

I'm glad we'll have a local service center which will make it easier to keep in top condition. Since it is an 08, I would be interested if they have any upgrades such as the comfort drive system. At this point, I'm so sold on the idea of a 40'er and the construction of the Prevost that I'm as sold as I can be without seeing and inspecting it in person. The dealer says it is in perfect condition, ready for the road. As an old shade tree mechanic in my youth, a lot of it is having a toy to tool with. Cars these days are not for us to toy with anymore so this can give me that old satisfaction
Old 08-03-2013, 12:42 AM   #18

Sine they sold the 40 foot Prevost, I've been on a hunt and to my surprise I discovered the Newell is built in Miami OK, not that far from Dallas and I love what I see. A little fancy on the inside for a country boy but the quality and capacities of the coach are impressive. And they have a nice batch of used ones. The hunt goes one as enlightenment improves.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #19

Send a message via Skype™ to tomgauger
Hi Christian,
I'm in the same dilemma and with the same choices: A year-old Cornerstone or a five year-old Prevost H3.
One thing to consider is that both rigs use many of the same systems; AquaHot, digital control of lighting, shades & air conditioning, water system filters and manifold, generator, etc.
As others have pointed out, it's the chassis where the Prevost stands out. It's rugged and built by Prevost Car to run a million miles or more. The Series 60 engine on most Prevost's is as dependable as the Cummins on the Entegra. (One converter in Florida is now specifying the Volvo D60 on their green rigs from Prevost and I think the jury is still out on that engine)
As others say, the view from inside a Prevost is huge.
The downside is service cost on a Prevost, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Buddy Knox in Knoxville, as do many garages, have high labor rates on a Prevost, despite the same engine parts & filters.
On the other hand, having a Prevost-rated mechanic working on your coach is a comfort.
I drove a new H3-45 at Millennium in Sanford, FL last year, thanks to Millennium's owner Nelson Figeroa. I gotta tell you , it was almost a sexual experience!
Old 11-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgauger View Post
Hi Christian,
I'm in the same dilemma and with the same choices: A year-old Cornerstone or a five year-old Prevost H3.
One thing to consider is that both rigs use many of the same systems; AquaHot, digital control of lighting, shades & air conditioning, water system filters and manifold, generator, etc.
As others have pointed out, it's the chassis where the Prevost stands out. It's rugged and built by Prevost Car to run a million miles or more. The Series 60 engine on most Prevost's is as dependable as the Cummins on the Entegra. (One converter in Florida is now specifying the Volvo D60 on their green rigs from Prevost and I think the jury is still out on that engine)
As others say, the view from inside a Prevost is huge.
The downside is service cost on a Prevost, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Buddy Knox in Knoxville, as do many garages, have high labor rates on a Prevost, despite the same engine parts & filters.
On the other hand, having a Prevost-rated mechanic working on your coach is a comfort.
I drove a new H3-45 at Millennium in Sanford, FL last year, thanks to Millennium's owner Nelson Figeroa. I gotta tell you , it was almost a sexual experience!
I own a 99 Prevost XL-45 converted by Country Coach. I've been from Florida to Alaska and, knock on wood, haven't experienced any unreasonable maintence costs. I usually go to a Detroit shop for engine and transmission needs, Prevost for most bus systems, and the system manuafacturers or service centers for all of the Country Coach stuff I can't fix on my own. As for Prevost service costs, my experience so far has been good. I'm rarely there for unscheduled maintenance. I find their rates and time spent reasonable. The best part is when they fix something it's fixed.

Some things are more expensive than some may be used to. The engine takes 10 gallons of oil. There are 4 group 31 chassis batteries and, in my case 6 8D house batteries. Naturally, when you have more the associated maintenance or replacement cost will be more.

If you're buying a Prevost, it is because it's a Prevost. They build a quality, dependable product designed to get 55 paying passengers to their paid destination on time. Check this out. I can change all but one Prevost engine drive belts in less than 5 minutes...really. That's 5 belts in 5 minutes.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Blue Bird Wanderlodge and Motor Coach Brokering Service

Don't forget to add BlueBird to your list..you could get one of these and keep a couple hundred grand in your pocket
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:50 PM   #22

Send a message via Skype™ to tomgauger
MCI?

Bryon,
I'm looking at a 1999 MCI 4500 conversion that is for sale in Inverness, FL.
It's the first time I'll be looking at an MCI and would appreciate your opinion of the chassis and the way the converter has integrated with it.
Here's the coach: MCI Renaissance Conversion | Phil Cooper
FYI, I'm on my third coach, an '01 Monaco Exec 43SS. A nice coach, AquaHot and all the good stuff...and I've converted to all electric.
I've ben looking at Newells and Prevost conversions in the 300,000 range.
As I said, MCI is new to me. I saw one on the road once and thought it looked great.
Your thoughts?
Tom Gauger
tomgauger@comcast.net
tomgauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:19 AM   #23

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
I have the same engine- Series 60, Detroit Diesel. Pretty much trouble free. Price seems high, however, to me
Old 12-23-2015, 09:28 AM   #24

Tom,

You might want to make this a new post so it gets seen.

MCI J4500 is a good bus platform. Some would argue just a step below Prevost, which I tend to agree with. Nonetheless, a solid high mileage capable of bus. By far a better, quieter, more reliable product than any traditional Class A that is the integration of a rolling chassis and motorhome builder's box. I'm sure this statement will get some traditional Class A owners wound up, but is simply the facts. With that said, a traditional class A coach may be more than adequate for some owners.

The Detroit Series 60 is an industry workhouse with many on these engines in the entertainer coaches being driven 700,000+ miles and not requiring more than the 100,000 valve adjustment. This one is a 99, likely a 98 MCI chassis, so it has the added benefit of not being equipped with the emission add-ons that started in 2002. A strange feature on this coach is the transmission retarder. This vintage of Detroit and Allison combination would generally be found with a 2 stage Jake, Today, almost all buses would be equipped with a transmission retarder, as this one is. Maybe ahead of the times; I'm not sure.

You won't find many MCI based RV conversions. The main reason being that MCI was really never in the RV shell business. Frankly, it's surprising Prevost is/was. The market is just such a small part of their overall business. MCI would deliver a seatless coach, but that's about all they were interested in. In most, maybe all, cases MCI would not delete side windows. So, it was up to converter to panel over the windows not desired for an RV. Today, Prevost has gone away from offering a specific shell for RVs. They do continue to offer entertainer shells, that do have some differences from the RV shells of past. The biggest change is the new X-3 stainless steel paneled is not offered in a shorter wheelbase or higher stainless panels that were available with the XL-II.

Your focus really should focus on the conversion. All Prevosts with slides during this time frame were equipped with non Prevost slides. In some cases they were commercially available slides from HWH or Valid. In other cases they were 100% custom. In every case, the chassis had to be strengthened to overcome the slide opening. In most cases, these were all done very professionally and with good engineering processes. Some slides were cable driven others hydraulic. Some were seamless (as viewd from outside the coach) while others had a visible exterior frame as is common with traditional coaches.

Beyond the slides, the biggest difference between converters is likely the electrical and automation systems they used. Some went for pretty simple, like Country Coach and Royale (Monaco) while others did their best to adapt home automation systems to work. With some of these systems, they are critical to the use of the coach's systems, so knowing how they work and what support exist should be a key buying factor.

Plumbing is another area of difference. Some were able to design their floorplan and black tank location such that they could use a straight dump style toilet. Others were forced into using air or high water pressure systems that can be expensive to repair and noisy. In the case of the high water pressure based systems they require a high pressure water pump to effectively operate and aren't recommended to be used on city water pressure.

Looks, floorplan, interior quality and exterior paint can all be expensive to change, so unless change is factored into the price, these should be major buying factors.

Wheel position weights are a big deal with any coach and I would always recommend wheel position weights be known. Even though most buses have GVW ratings of 50,000+ pounds, they can be over weight at one or more wheel positions. I would be particularly concerned with any coach that was equipped with after market slides. When I bought my last coach, a quad slide Beaver 42, I really wanted a 40-footer. After some research I discovered few 40-footers had the margin of safety I wanted with respect to weight and some were well over the specifications. Although few bus conversions are over weight, I would check the weight.

Good luck with your hunt and if I can be of any help, drop me a note.

Gil
Old 12-23-2015, 04:46 PM   #25

Gil, we are looking at a CC Prevost. Very nice coach. No slides, no headaches. It is a 99,
Old 12-24-2015, 06:30 AM   #26

Ernie,

If you have any question on a CC XL, I probably know those conversations better than most. Feel free to email me, trawlergil@gmail at gmail dot com
Old 12-24-2015, 06:49 AM   #27

Thank you, Gil
Old 12-24-2015, 06:59 AM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
I've never driven a Prevost, and I'm sure that I would love the drive. But compared to Entegra, they seem to lack interior storage which is important to me and the missus. Those big windows take the place of lots of cabinets.

As for 40 vs 45, I've had both and much prefer the 45 for the extra roominess and better ride. I moved up to 45 with some trepidation but immediately found that my concerns were unfounded. Yes there are a few (very few) places where a 40 will fit and not a 45, but that has not been an issue for me. Depending on how you travel and where you wish to stay, your preference could be different.