Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2017, 09:12 AM   #15

I my opinion by the time you purchase the unit,refurbish it like you want. Add all the subsystems,electric, plumping, solar,etc. You are going to have so much expense in it that it will be cost prohibitive. Being you are looking for a school type bus is really going to limit where you can park it. Also most school type busses are geared so low that you will have a hard time maintaining any kind of hiway speed. Fuel mileage is something else that needs to be considered.
If you want unique look at the older Wanderlodges, Foretravels,These are/were top of the line luxury coaches in their day and still are by todays build quality. These coaches sold new in the 200k to 300k range. But found today at really affordable prices.I bought my 91 Foretravel U300 on Craigslist for 9k. I have a total of about 15k in it now. Have put almost 16k miles on it since oct 2014. All systems are in place to live in, tour, travel from the start.They look cool,are very unique and can take you across the country in safe comfort. Also should you decide to stop traveling, selling a converted school bus is difficult. Selling a classic motorhome is much easier especially when it is one of the classic high end units. Just my opinion.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2017, 11:47 AM   #16

Hi amw88, first of all best of luck with your project. I have a question for you that will open a lot of door for you IMO. In your home licensing state can the vehicle be plated as a motor home after a conversion or assembled vehicle? this could open the doors up for insurance and maybe rv park!. But they do have the right to refuse service kind of reminds me the flower children hippy days good times ... yes I sort of grew up
secondly rims /wheels your limited to tire choices with split rings wheels. With radial their a lot easier to steer (won't track rots as bad) and don't pick up temporary flat spots from sitting for periods. Out west most bus have change over to one piece wheel. It's going to determined what vintage you in up starting with. It'll be a fun road with lots of but in the end
guestPacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:54 PM   #17

@ Pacer
If I would have told state farm that I had a motorhome, or even a transit bus, I could have gotten insurance and been "legal", and not had a problem. However, if I had gotten into an accident, the wouldn't have covered it, and would have cancelled my insurance on the spot. Getting mine registered as a motorhome was pretty much required, but it doesn't change the fact that it was a school bus.

Each state and insurance company has its own retirements. Do not get caught in a full disclosure trap. Make sure they know what you have up front, it will save a lot of headaches should the unthinkable happen.
Trilug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:40 PM   #18

To Trilug- Wow, thank you for all that amazing info. I've recently read a lot things on what bus conversions can't do and I have to say I'm a bit annoyed. I really dont understand why they fell the need to oppose a bus conversion. It is the same as anything else it just doesn't look the same, which is why I want to do it. As long as it's not completely repulsive it should be welcome anywhere an RV can go.

To TRebel- Hahahaha That is awesome. I love it. Lol. That is almost spot on with my ideas. Thank you for thinking about me.
amw88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:22 AM   #19

Trilug, I was talking about licensing and what the conversion will be identified as then you go to you carrier. The insurance part is a whole other matter. And yes I agree always be up front with you insurance carrier or future carrier. My conversion is just a copy of a Class c with a cut-away chasse and a commercial box sat on the frame. And start cutting....
amw88, yours will stand out with your special touches but it will always be a school bus RV with all the comforts of an RV.
It reads like there are a few bus conversion suggestions and an alterative.
With the tinny house movement still growing, carriers it seems are trying to sort them out. Size does matter, I have Marine brother that has a 3 axle Class a and some of the parks we've met up it was quite entertaining (in a marine sort of way ) but he gets it done. are you planning on just Boon docking only? or use a the resources that are available to RV'ers ? I look forward to your vehicle selection.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:19 AM   #20

amw88; hi thought of you when I came across Tiny House Big living on HGTV (Ep4)Their doing a full size(longest bus 235 sf) conversion with a rear engine push. You started watch but, should and could stimulate some ideas (that's why I watch)
Old 08-15-2017, 08:08 AM   #21

Try searching on google Skoolies there are websites that are devoted to just that endeavor. such as skoolie.net I had never heard of them before ( I have seen a few conversions but did not know that they were a "thing to do"). The local news just had a report about them the other night as there was an exhibit of them in town
Old 08-16-2017, 05:26 PM   #22

To Pacer- Thank you for thinking about me as well. I like to have big ideas and big goals. Just wanted to let you know the thought was appreciated. The tips on insurance are also appreciated. I plan on a lot of boon docking so I know I'm going to need a lot of space for things like water tanks and what not. I also plan on using solar panels to help with charging and electricity. I dont plan on needing a black water tank though due to the fact that i want a composting toilet. Like i said lots of big goals.

To I dont know if they are the "thing to do" i just know i want to. LOL. I like to do things my way and i like to make thing a customized as possible. Plus I'm a very hands on kind of person so i want to be able to say that i did it even if not all by myself. And probably the biggest perk to building it myself is that i will know how to fix just about any problem that might arise while on the road. I am also a part of skoolie.net as well. But as a total noob i thought i would join a few to make sure i can get as much info as possible.
amw88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:04 PM   #23

Amanda if it has air brakes you may need a special license in Calif. Another issue you may encounter is insurance. Several of the providers want pictures of the finished vehicle. I'm in SC and had a time. Nationwide who did my car wouldn't touch it. Finally went with Progressive commercial. I'm converting a 92 42 passenger bluebird diesel pusher. Good luck with yours
Blubirdjokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:09 PM   #24

Oh also registered it as an RV so can run a normal license plate. Anyone know if the diesel pusher MH's run a diesel gen set?
Old 09-29-2017, 07:31 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubirdjokey View Post
Oh also registered it as an RV so can run a normal license plate. Anyone know if the diesel pusher MH's run a diesel gen set?
All diesel MH's come from factory with diesel generator... as far as I know.
If you have a diesel engine and gas generator, you would have to have a second fuel tank for gasoline.
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 01:41 AM   #26

Some diesel motorhomes do/did come with propane generators
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:17 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Some diesel motorhomes do/did come with propane generators
Yes, but propane systems before after tank is refilled. I'm wondering who would offer a diesel gen set for mine? Not fond of running a second tank or using hd5 propane for hot water and bacon n eggs
Old 09-30-2017, 07:47 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubirdjokey View Post
Yes, but propane systems before after tank is refilled. I'm wondering who would offer a diesel gen set for mine? Not fond of running a second tank or using hd5 propane for hot water and bacon n eggs
Onan is the primary supplier for diesel and Propane generators. The Quiet Diesel being preferred. What do you plan to use for heat and hot water?
Most furnaces are propane, Atwood Etc. You Could go with a webasto diesel fired setup or if you have plenty of money a aquahot system. The aquahot would cover your heat and hot water. Water heaters are primarily propane and now there are on demand systems that provide continuous hot water. What are you going to cook with. Most stoves are propane. And if you are going to boondock any you will probably want a dual fuel Refrigerator Gas and electric.
You might find that you are going to need a propane tank to run the subsystems. Bulk propane is quite less expensive per gallon than buying a 30lb cylinder at home depot. You might want to research a large rv bulk tank.

Tags
advice