Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2014, 04:20 PM   #1

Towing with an older Prevost bus conversion

Anyone have any experience towing a heavy trailer with an older Prevost bus with the 8V92 and 4 speed trans ? Looking for something to be able to handle a 32-34 foot stacker trailer loaded with 2 cars and support equipment.

Thanks for any information
TD257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2014, 08:51 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Not sure I understand your question. Do you have an 'older Provost bus conversion' or are you looking at buying one? Whichever it is, everything depends on the GCWR, (Gross Combined Weight Rating) the sum weight of the RV and the loaded trailer together. If the GCWR was 100 lbs and the loaded RV weighed 70 lbs, you'd only be able to have a trailer at or under 30 lbs. In addition to those numbers, you have to consider the rating of the receiver hitch. The trailer you're describing sounds like it could be a heavy one, you'll need to be mindful of how much weight the trailer is adding to the weight of the rear axle(s) of the bus so it doesn't exceed their limits.

Another consideration is total length of the combined vehicles. A Provost bus is often 45 ft long, add much trailer length to that and there are many states that might have restrictions on you.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:07 AM   #3

Just looking at purchasing one. Considering going with a bus over a truck conversion for a better ride. I'm a little worried about reliability of the engine and transmission combination as I am unfamiliar with these. Yes, I'm sure it will be over length and the trailer will be relatively heavy. But I have been told that the buses would be better suited to towing than a standard diesel pusher.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:28 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Might take that with a grain of salt.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:48 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
I also would take any suggestions that a bus is better than an RV for towing with skepticism. An RV is built with the expectation it will tow something, a bus, not so much. The engine and transmission of an RV are well suited for towing and the built in amenities are usually complete and well tested. I've seen some bus conversions that are pretty crude and missing a lot of the systems of even an entry level RV.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 01:20 PM   #6

Havent seen much problems with a pusher motorhome pulling a standard trailer, but have seen some them torn apart (floors and walls buckled and busted due to frame flex) due to the tongue weight of a stacker trailer. I have looked into using a Trailer Toad and have been around them, so I know what a headache they cause while backing up. I am more concerned with the drive train. Is it going to have the power and torque to pull the extra weight ? Will it hold up ? Dont want to be traveling up a small grade at 20 mph or stranded.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:24 PM   #7

The buses (grayhounds)up here in canada tow large trailers all the time (cargo)
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 01:33 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to the forum! From your signature and description I bet your a Top Dragster racer. For the typical drag racer that wants an MH to pull a stacker there are a few minimum requirements IMHO. 400 hp, Allison 6 speed, tag axle, 10k generator, to name a few, are all available in a high quality coach in just about any age group to fit your target budget. With proper triple axle placement and loading of the trailer you will be able to establish the tongue weight you want without wd bars or any extra equipment. Check with the guys you see at the track for some good info. Good luck and Merry Christmas.
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:28 PM   #9

The coach that I am considering is a 500hp 8V92, but has a 4 speed transmission. Does have a tag axle and 17.5 kW generator. HP is there, but will the 4 speed transmission kill it towing ?
Old 12-21-2014, 09:04 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry I don't have any experience with that transmission Hopefully some that are familiar with it will chime in soon.
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD257 View Post
Anyone have any experience towing a heavy trailer with an older Prevost bus with the 8V92 and 4 speed trans ? Looking for something to be able to handle a 32-34 foot stacker trailer loaded with 2 cars and support equipment.

Thanks for any information
The engine and transmission will do just fine, but Prevost's are limited to 10,000 pound tow limit unless the bus has the optional 20,000 pound hitch which probably wasn't available in the year models you're looking at, pre-1995.

The tow limitation is due to the design of the engine cradle that the hitch is part of. Excessive tow weight, especially excessive tongue weight can cause cracks in the engine cradle. Prevost will not repair cracked engine cradles, they replace them and it's an expensive repair.
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing