Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2018, 05:42 PM   #1

Trailways or Greyhound bus conversions

I had a friend a few years back that bought these used at auction. Converted them to campers. I have thought about trying this since I retired.

Anyone tried this? I had this in my brain a few months back but don't think I ever posted the question. Slides would be tough but plenty of room.

Imagine pulling into a Class A only campground I would think with a fancy paint job it would pass.
deltam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2018, 05:55 PM   #2

Many have a rule about "bus conversions". Otherwise, you have a pretty much clean slate to start with.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:03 PM   #3

You need to become familiar with this CFR. Especially the section for those that alter certified vehicles.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-20...l6-part567.xml
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:21 PM   #4
mat

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltam View Post
I had a friend a few years back that bought these used at auction. Converted them to campers. I have thought about trying this since I retired.

Anyone tried this? I had this in my brain a few months back but don't think I ever posted the question. Slides would be tough but plenty of room.

Imagine pulling into a Class A only campground I would think with a fancy paint job it would pass.
I did it with a GMC buffalo bus. Never had an issue at any campgrounds. However, the GMC couldn't have a slide built it because it has no conventional frame. Slides have been put in MCI and Silver Eagle buses.
I wrote about our conversion if you have an interest.

https://lifeisacarnivalblog.wordpress.com/2017/04/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	housestuff-008.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	220523  
Old 09-26-2018, 05:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
You need to become familiar with this CFR. Especially the section for those that alter certified vehicles.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-20...l6-part567.xml
Wonder what Henry Ford would have done about this? Stifling innovation?
deltam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:44 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I built a 4106 GM bus. Started in 1995 and finished it 4 1/2 years later. Did it right with quality parts. Started with rebuilt engine, auto trans, tires and everything inside. Four solar panels, electric fridge, satelite, full paint and then used it for 5 years. Would I do it again. Not on your life.
It just about ruined a marriage. I wanted to stop and my wife wouldn't let me. Had a lot of fun in it but the money I spent (if your doing it right) I could have bought a nice motorhome and retired even earlier. Just my humble opinion.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:33 PM   #7

we took a M C I and converted it into a nice rv with a slide ,infloor heat split unit a/c

invested $110 k into it and sold it 10 years later . we enjoyed it and only sold it because I wanted MORE POWER . I do miss the simple things that were in it like air leveling that did not need a computer to screw up . would I build one again ? nope I have less then 1/2 the money in the Fatherlite I have now . spend your money on a high end older rv and revamp it
featherlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Wonder what Henry Ford would have done about this? Stifling innovation?

I am not sure what FastEagle meant by this link to the 49CFR but the following seems to indicate that it does not cover Used buses and conversions AFTER THE FIRST SALE.

"Altered vehicle means a completed vehicle previously certified in accordance with § 567.4 or § 567.5 that has been altered other than by the addition, substitution, or removal of readily attachable components, such as mirrors or tire and rim assemblies, or by minor finishing operations such as painting, before the first purchase of the vehicle other than for resale, in such a manner as may affect the conformity of the vehicle with one or more Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard(s) or the validity of the vehicle's stated weight ratings or vehicle type classification."

So I am curious what part of this applies to used buses for conversion?
BTFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:05 AM   #9

Check out the bus nuts group
Kenaleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaleslie View Post
Check out the bus nuts group

The statement was posted in a response in this thread. That is why I am asking it here.
BTFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFT View Post
The statement was posted in a response in this thread. That is why I am asking it here.
This is a group of people who own bus conversions .live built several and used to be a member the isn't any smatasses on that sight or know it all
Kenaleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:18 PM   #12

Bus conversions

Quote:

Are used to run a small charter bus company and I started with eight GMC deck and a half then moved on to MCI’s, MC-8 and MC-9 models then Prevost Lemirage’s and I’ve also had a couple of Eagles.

Personally most people seem to like Prevost, I happen to love driving them and as a coach to own and operate I love them but for durability I think the MCI, MC-8 or MC-9 models are great. The MC-9 was probably one of the most popular coaches made and there were thousands of them out there. They’re very durable the later models had 12 V conversions and not just 24 V systems and they’re also easy to re-power into a series 60 engine if you want the most of them came with automatic transmissions although I love driving the five speed.

I personally am not a fan of slide outs because I’m not a full timer nor do I think I could do that. I happen to like just leaving everything the way it is and being able to deal with it Coach running right down the road without having to worry about moving things in and out. I think personally it’s light out so just one more thing to go wrong. But that’s a personal opinion.

If you want to nice coach and can still find a good MC nine or what they called an MC 12 which was Greyhound‘s later model those would be very good very inexpensive and if you can find the right converter very good and easy to convert. Just remember kiss keep it simple stupid. I know I’m not trying to be insulting but putting in a table couple of chairs and a couch couch and or pull out couch simple cooking area with sink convection oven refrigerator freezer and having a good generator with that extra fuel tank is always a good idea make sure you have more than enough fuel and one of the nice things about the X greyhounds as they used to have the very large field tags, 279 gallons or 249 with a 79 gallon auxiliary. Makes a big difference not having to keep fueling up. Also keep an eye on your air-conditioning system make sure they’re converted to 130 for Freon because finding 12 or 22 is nearly impossible and super expensive. Putting solar panels up on the roofs definitely a plus and can definitely help you make sure you have good ventilation and if you get a couple of conversion slide windows will help with the ventilation on the coach as well. Either way just try to make it simple a convenient comfortable layout if you could live with those people do showers rather than any kind of a tub because that takes up too much water into its face. Either way whatever you do enjoy it and remember you running a diesel lead will last you forever but you have to maintain it .

Greyhound at one time would even sell their coaches until they had 1,000,000 miles on them. So getting half 1 million to million miles out of the coach is not a problem just make sure you maintain it that’s all. And make sure you remember it’s going to cost you a lot more than your car or even a smaller RV but having the coach is definitely worthwhile and definitely a lot of fun. .

Greyhound at one time would even sell their coaches until they had 1,000,000 miles on them. So getting half 1 million to million miles out of the coach is not a problem just make sure you maintain it that’s all. And make sure you remember it’s going to cost you a lot more than your car or even a smaller RV but having the coach is definitely worthwhile and definitely a lot of fun.
miowname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:22 PM   #13

4106 and an almost ruined marrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbus View Post
I built a 4106 GM bus. Started in 1995 and finished it 4 1/2 years later. Did it right with quality parts. Started with rebuilt engine, auto trans, tires and everything inside. Four solar panels, electric fridge, satelite, full paint and then used it for 5 years. Would I do it again. Not on your life.
It just about ruined a marriage. I wanted to stop and my wife wouldn't let me. Had a lot of fun in it but the money I spent (if your doing it right) I could have bought a nice motorhome and retired even earlier. Just my humble opinion.

Yes it’s expensive but it is so much fun traveling around the country and the coach. Personally I would much rather be driving a coach that a motorhome. They write better and they’re much more adorable in my humble opinion. New work coaches today or more like Tronic and so much more to go wrong. The older coaches were just playing tanks and they ran like it and ran forever. You just had to do normal maintenance on them. At my point now I would love to get rid of driving coaches and get a nice conversion and go out on the road part time. Because I am getting totally sick of living in Long Island New York and Not being able to travel the way I want to. I would like to just go to the beach sit there for a month and relax. Don’t have to stay in the hotel every night or even any night don’t have to have cable TV although you can I could just sit at the beach read my books and enjoy myself. Traveling and the coach is very enjoyable and very relaxing. Just find the right. “campground”
miowname is offline   Reply With Quote