RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-15-2018, 05:42 PM   #1

Trailways or Greyhound bus conversions

I had a friend a few years back that bought these used at auction. Converted them to campers. I have thought about trying this since I retired.

Anyone tried this? I had this in my brain a few months back but don't think I ever posted the question. Slides would be tough but plenty of room.

Imagine pulling into a Class A only campground I would think with a fancy paint job it would pass.

deltam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2018, 05:55 PM   #2

Many have a rule about "bus conversions". Otherwise, you have a pretty much clean slate to start with.

Old 09-15-2018, 07:03 PM   #3

You need to become familiar with this CFR. Especially the section for those that alter certified vehicles.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-20...l6-part567.xml
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:21 PM   #4
mat

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltam View Post
I had a friend a few years back that bought these used at auction. Converted them to campers. I have thought about trying this since I retired.

Anyone tried this? I had this in my brain a few months back but don't think I ever posted the question. Slides would be tough but plenty of room.

Imagine pulling into a Class A only campground I would think with a fancy paint job it would pass.
I did it with a GMC buffalo bus. Never had an issue at any campgrounds. However, the GMC couldn't have a slide built it because it has no conventional frame. Slides have been put in MCI and Silver Eagle buses.
I wrote about our conversion if you have an interest.

https://lifeisacarnivalblog.wordpress.com/2017/04/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	housestuff-008.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	220523  
Old 09-26-2018, 05:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
You need to become familiar with this CFR. Especially the section for those that alter certified vehicles.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-20...l6-part567.xml
Wonder what Henry Ford would have done about this? Stifling innovation?
deltam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:44 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I built a 4106 GM bus. Started in 1995 and finished it 4 1/2 years later. Did it right with quality parts. Started with rebuilt engine, auto trans, tires and everything inside. Four solar panels, electric fridge, satelite, full paint and then used it for 5 years. Would I do it again. Not on your life.
It just about ruined a marriage. I wanted to stop and my wife wouldn't let me. Had a lot of fun in it but the money I spent (if your doing it right) I could have bought a nice motorhome and retired even earlier. Just my humble opinion.

« Newell impresses. | - »